Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 5th October 2009, 10:18 PM   #11
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Comments like Davides are not only wrong they are likely to cause offence.
Oh, cool off, I do not mean to offend anybody. It is simply a fact that France is the only country in the EU that resists (at the government level) the use of english as a common language, and as a consequence there are a lot of people that do not even have rudimentary english. I find English in Europe and Spanish in Latin America a big plus, and I am a native speaker of neither. Not talking a common language simply causes communication problems, no offense!

Last edited by davide; 5th October 2009 at 10:21 PM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 01:30 AM   #12
Floyd

Cool

I dont need to cool off and I`m not interested in communicating with you Davide.But you wont find that offensive ???? Will you !!!!

Wonder what you are basing your comment on ?

I`m basing my comments on living (and sailing) in France with a group of people who are not only interested in communicating but go out of their way to help and then fools like you say quite openly "they aren`t interested in communicating". Perhaps you mean they`d rather us speak French (or Catalan). Now there`s a surprise !!!

You`ll then be wondering why French (or Catalan to be more precise; for area mentioned) dont welcome visitors...

What is your evidence for the comment ??? Have you ever sailed/ visited region ????

Go to area mentioned and sail at Leucate; Le Franqui; St Cyprien; Canet; Le Lydia; Gruisan and you will witness amongst best sailors in world and get nothing but support from them. !!! When you`ve been to are around Leucate t see if what you say is correct !!! I`m telling you now it wont be. !!!

The Defi is always oversubsrcibed; perhaps you`d rather see it filled with paying (foreign) visitors (who are welcome) than people who sail in region all year long !!! Of course they`d rather support local sailors. Thats how it should be but lots of foreigners do compete.

There`s good and bad in all races.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 02:50 AM   #13
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I dont need to cool off and I`m not interested in communicating with you Davide.But you wont find that offensive ???? Will you !!!!

Wonder what you are basing your comment on ?
Floyd, you are making a big deal out of a small thing. Sorry if I made a comment that some people might think offensive, it is just an observation that comes from spending a lot of time in Europe (I am from there ...). And the observation is that what started as a policy to protect the French language, has translated in an increase in insularity for France. Of course it is a broad, and not necessarily true, statement. and of course there are millions of French people that don't mind speaking a broken English to communicate with foreigners.

So, please, let's drop this, my fault and I am sorry if I offended you.
bests
D

Last edited by davide; 6th October 2009 at 02:53 AM.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 04:59 PM   #14
Floyd

Smile

Fair comments Davide.
Apologies too.
Good sailing
Old 6th October 2009, 10:56 PM   #15
Farlo

Hi Floyd, you're from the UK rignt? Many Frenchies may think you have suffered enough from insularity and will do their best to rescue you, whether they speak broken or good English;-)

Hi Davide, yes it was a broad, not necessarily true, statement. I guess you're Italian aren't you? I wonder where/why you found it difficult to communicate. Have you tried broken French? By the way, do you know that "Le Défi" means "La Sfida"?

Last edited by Farlo; 6th October 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 04:15 AM   #16
bbend

I've located the 2009 registration form saying the first 900 completed forms will get tickets, which suggest there is no difference between foreign and French sailors, but I guess the locals/french have a big advantage in shorter mail service! I guess it doesnt hurt to throw in a form and hope for the best allthough it seems a bit elaborate. Is it neccessary to send a medical certificate and transfer the fees BEFORE you know you get a spot? If this is the case it is highly unpractical.

Anyone knows?

Bard
bbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2009, 04:32 AM   #17
Floyd

Cool

Again thats not the organisers fault. In france whenever you wish to take part in sport organised by a third party (ie events etc; especially active competition ) you have to have a medical and or letter from doctor indicating you are perfectly fit and well to take part.
Locals will be well aware of all this. Pretty sure Defi will insist on something.!!!

Suspect foreigners might roll up expecting to sail and be hit with this one !!! Make sure you check if you do register !!!!

Good luck
Old 7th October 2009, 04:36 AM   #18
Floyd

PS
I`m going down there end of October.Will find out more and post info.
Old 7th October 2009, 04:51 AM   #19
Unregistered

You just have to love the frogs dont you ?
They stick the middle finger up at all the EU crap, protect their farmers, cars, mushroom farms and fisherman. Then say you need a cert to race an old piece of plastic in the Med.
Brilliant..
A few years ago Clarkson was in Paris telling us they dont even have an HSE dept. Unlike our 5000 bloated pigs on 100k a year in Canary Wharf or wherever they stick them these days, telling us not to climb ladders or knock conkers off trees.
Old 7th October 2009, 04:48 PM   #20
Floyd

But the point is they say it to everyone !!!

And to be fair the Defi isn`t quite just a normal day in the med ! Tromontane really could make you wish you hadn`t bothered !!!