Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 5th October 2009, 05:55 AM   #1
Unregistered

Default QUAD: Starboard or JP ?

Hallo guys,
after a season during which I've decided to buy a twinzer a new stuff comes out:the quad!
From what I've heard it should be even better but now I'm a bit confused...
Can you please describe the difference between twinzer,tri fin and quad?

I use to sail my Euro wave sessions in spots where the main sail is the 4,7.Wind is side on,side and,sometimes,side off.Waves height is 0,5 to 3 mt (mostly 1,5-2).They can be huge but almost never aggressive.I mean,even if it's big,it tends to not last long.
I mainly focus on waveriding instead of jumps.With my single fin I use to have 2-3 bottoms on a average wave but I have to work hard for it.
Tested a twinzer and in light air/smal waves had 3 bottoms where I would dream for a good ONE if I've been on a single fin...
That's why I want buy a multi fin board.

Just to have a better reference can you help me to understand how choose the right size?
I mean,guess to have understood that twinzers need to be bigger than single because of the narrow tail,so when you use a "classic" 75 l single you have to go for a 80/2 l twinzer.
What's up with quad?

Another question regards the different fins set up between Starboard (bigger fins forward) and Jp (bigger fins rear).
Why that?Different goal?Different feeling?
Can you hel with that?

Thank you
Old 5th October 2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Singe, twin, tri and Quad all have their respective character, but within each concept the rest of the shape matter a lot too. As you have noticed, with twin fins it is very, very easy to initiate the turn. This hold for pretty much all twin fin boards. The "up-size" thing you mention is a bit dependent on the shape though and mostly applies to narrow tail boards that often also have a very doomed deck. In my opinion, they use their volume rather ineffectively and is for example not very stable in low winds relative their volume. So in the end you don't gain anything by being able to use more volume. It's more a style thing which kind of shape you prefer. I would say that with the 2009 Starboard twin fins, you pretty much went with the same size as usual.

With the Starboard Quads I would also say you size them like you would size a normal bord. They have VERY big ranges, so it is a little bit less critical though. The Starboard Quads have much of that feel of easy turn initiation from the twin fins, but thay also have a lot more drive and acceleration in the turns, similar to tri fins. So you can say that they come in between a tri fin and a twin fin in feel - an excellent compromise if you ask me. Some things are just plain better like with the Starboard Quads than with twin fin boards and upwind ability is one such thing. Very practical in the kind of onshore conditions you describe. The acceleration in turn can be used to simply go faster and hit the lip harder, and you also have an amazing grip in the top turns whch mean you can pull quite a bit of spray:

and also follow your turns though better and turn tight and still come out with some speed.

(images www.kulingvarning.nu/Fredrik Johansson).

Twin fins have a "looser" top turn and easily slide out. This can be an asset but also a bit of a problem, ie you can use it to your advantage, but particularly in cross on conditions when you are powered up, it can be hard to avoid a slide. In bottom turns twin fins rely more on a kind of soft controlled feel coupled with that "instant reaction". When you push a Quad, it accelerates through the turn, which means you have to be a bit more "on it". With a twin you can just "ride along" and then still very quickly redirect the board. Personally I've changed to almost only riding Quads since I think that combination of drive and looseness adds a lot to my sailing, particularly in "bad" conditions. I like twins too though, but the only case I can push myself to use them nowadays is in SUPER windy stuff. Yesterday we had powered up 3.5 sailing and I used my Quad 66. But then it got even windier, and for the last hour it was over 40 knots. Then I though the softer nature of the twin was nice (in this case a smaller version of mast years Evil Twin 70). In this example, you can see I'm just coasting along with no bottom turn drive, but yet can quickly flip the board very and hit the lip. This is one sort of thing that is easier on a twin. But in more normal situations I get "more turns per hour" on my Quads.

(images from Christian Johansson)

Regarding small or big in front, all I can say is that I think the solution Starboard have choosen works very well.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2009, 02:17 AM   #3
carvesalot

the white board with the HSM logo, looks to be a custom ......
Old 10th October 2009, 04:15 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, its my own design, but it's based off the Evil Twin 70. Essentially, I have slightly altered the rocker (a tad more curve in the rear) and made it narrower (my board is 53).The general layout of the rocker, outline and rails are the same though. Like I wrote, it's in practice like a smaller version of the 2009 ET 70.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2009, 02:02 PM   #5
Unregistered

Question

I have the same question, why JP uses bigger fins rear while Starboard uses bigger fins forward?
There must be a completely different concept.
Could we say that one of them has much more controlled bottom turns while the other be more responsive to cutbacks?

thx
Old 11th October 2009, 06:49 PM   #6
Hot Ice

Question Confused

Join the club.

I am also confused.

Hereís the way I am looking at it rightly or wrongly.

Donít be too quick to ignore single fin boards. They come in all shapes sizes, rocker lines etc and they are continuing to improve from a well proven design base. So you may find that a different single fin board will actually allow you to get more turns on a wave. In fact just changing the fin size / shape on your existing board and moving the mast base position and foot straps may also significantly improve performance.

I spent nine weeks windsurfing in Tenerife this year and the dominate wave board there was a single fin. Now these guys can rip and their local PWA sailor was also using a single fin board. As my mate said you would pay to watch him sail because his wave sailing was unreal, all on a single fin wave board. The new PWA wave champion Josh Angulo also uses single fin boards.

Twin fins look cool and obviously people are having fun on them. Starboard dropping their twin fin after only a year caused me to think again. One is the second hand value of the board has dropped off a cliff and the other for them anyway is the future is Quads. I donít want to be left holding a twin fin that I canít sell in a year or two.

I believe Starboard were right to drop the twin fin and go quad because when I look at surfing I just see so many advantages with quad designs.

Tri fins are also an interesting design and dominate surfing but for some reason have not fired the imagination in windsurfing with the exception of Witchcraft whoís tri fin boards look really cool. RRD have also brought out a tri fin and they are usually pretty hot on design so that should be interesting.

For me its early days for Twin, Tri and Quad designs. I am concentrating on nutrition and fitness not very exciting but important in wave sailing. Naturally spending as much time on the water is the top priority. Also fine tuning my board and really getting to know it will I hope with the other points I have mentioned improve my sailing. Then maybe I can start thinking about a multi fin board.
Hot Ice is offline   Reply With Quote