Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 16th December 2009, 12:51 PM   #1
Oldhorse

Default Sail for Phantom 320

hi

I am thinking of getting a 7.5 to 8m sail for the Phantom 320, please advise whitch sail is the best in the maket for this board

thank you
Oldhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Oldhorse

anyone please advise
Old 17th December 2009, 09:31 PM   #3
Ken

Oldhorse,

There are sails for longboards and sails for Formula/slalom boards. The Phantom is a hybrid and falls in between the two. I don't know much about the available sails for longboards (raceboard class), but the options are limited. I suspect that the formula/slalom sails would work great with the Phantom.

I am very satisfied with Maui Sails TR sails. I have 6.6, 7.6, 8.4, 9.2 and 11.0. However, there are another half dozen plus brands that are also excellent. Generally, formula sails range in size from 9-12 meters and anything under 9.0 is considered a slalom sail. The difference in my opinion is negligible or non existent.

Some others out there may be able to give a better answer regarding the appropriateness of the longboard vs the formula sails on the Phantom.

Are you going to race or just freeride?

Hope this helps.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 12:41 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Old Horse,
Ken is correct, there are Formula and slalom race sails, then there are recreational sails.
What you really want on the Phantom 320 is something in the Free Race category.
IMHO, the Sailworks Retro or Severne Glide would be amoung the best sails on the Phantom
I've used both.
The Severne Glide comes in both 7.5 and 8.5m2.
The German Magazine Surf tested the 7.5 Glide and stated that it was as powerful as
most 9.0 m2 sails.
The Glides are exceptionally light if you put them on a 100% carbon mast.
The Retro has lots of low end power, and probably a bit more higher wind
stability than the Glide, but the Glide has probably the best light wind power
in that size range.
Other lofts "longboard" sails will also work, but the Glide has the most power and
is for sure the lightest when rigged on the right mast.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 02:39 AM   #5
Ken

Thanks Roger,

I was thinking race sails, not Free Race.

Old Horse,

Listen to Roger and his sail suggestions if you are mainly interested in freeriding.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 10:09 AM   #6
tonymatta

I have been using the starboard 9.5 sail with my Phantom 320. With carbon mast and boom it is very light and easy to use up to 15 knots. Depending on where you sail, the wind will probably be below fifteen knots most of the time anyway.

Don't be afraid of the bigger sail if you want to sail in light winds. The phantom 320 is a very stable board which also makes it easier to handle the large sails.

Just keep a smaller sail handy if the wind gets too strong. I think that your choice of smaller sail doesn't really matter as long as you can handle it. It is mostly the bigger sail you need to choose carefully.

Having sailed a few hybrid boards, the Phantom is much closer to a longboard design than a formula in the way it sails. I think it bearly qualifies as a Hybrid. As far as how that influences the sail choice, I would say that the more important factor is whether you want to sail it in subplaning conditions or not. The longboard sails will definitly give you more power when not planing and maybe get you planing a little earlier. The compromise is usually that they may be harder to handle when the winds gets strong, hence the smaller spare sail.

Last edited by tonymatta; 18th December 2009 at 10:24 AM. Reason: more info.
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Oldhorse

thank you

i used Severne OD 8.5, but it do not work well and can not pump well at low wind. anyway i will try the Glides ...
Old 18th December 2009, 04:32 PM   #8
tonymatta

Dear Oldhorse

I don't know how much experience you have so these coments may not apply. If so Please ignore them. I have found that modern sails (and probably older ones) can behave very differently depending on tuninng (outhall and downhall settings) and mast and boom combination so varying these may help in how they pump and behave in different conditions. Unless you are very experienced it is more likely your settings or technique which need adjustment than the 8.5 overdrive not working.

I often use a North F9 8.4m sail (simillar class to overdrive) on my phantom 320. with my skill and weight, I have found it very good in strong winds up to 22 or so knots, and still powerful in under ten knots and nonplaining conditions. But no matter how good a sail is it is hard to beat and extra square meter of canvass for power. My 9.5m starbord sail always seems more powerfull as long as it is not overpowered.

You may be very disapointed if you think a choice of sail is going to solve all your problems. As long as you are using a reputable brand, the easisest and surest way to make sure you have more or less power is to go up or down in sail size.
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2009, 09:25 PM   #9
Oldhorse

hi tonymatta

thank you very much for your advise, ya the starboard Phantom 9.5 is very good and the best so far i try, but for sail at size 7~8m, i could not find one till now. and when i said pumping is at 0~1 knot.
Old 20th December 2009, 01:35 AM   #10
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi again Oldhorse,
Ahhhh.... I thought you might be looking for a sail for sub-planing conditions (with the centerboard down/deloyed for < 10 knots of wind.
I would look very hard for a Severne Glide 7.5 or 8.5 m2. Get the light 100% carbon mast and you will have a sail that will get you moving and keep you moving even in the lightest < 5 knot winds.
The sail is so light that pumping is easy.
I think the Glide sails were basically designed for the Serenity, and a 7.5 Glide on a Serenity is an awesome combination in < 6 knots of wind when everyone else sits or pumps their brains out.
Just a suggestion to keep you going in < 5 knots.
Do you know about "flutter pumping".
To do this you really just rythmically sort of "shake" the sail to keep the upper leech (where it's a little loose) flapping.
It's not about the arms, but more about moving your upper body in synch with the
sail so it just sort of flaps.
Flutter pumping is much more efficient and take alot less strength and stamina that normal
pumping and will get you back to the beach in absolutely zero wind.
In fact, when the wind is near zero, you can almost pick your direction and flutter pump straight back to the launch.
If there were 3 knots or more of wind, you would have to take the wind direction into consideration and might not be able to go straight back to the launch.
Give it a try. It's returned me to the beach in absolute zero wind on a formula board several times.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote