Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 26th October 2009, 03:33 AM   #1
marclucrey

Default quad 71 or quad 66

First of all, Congratulations for creating Quad. I have Quad 76, and I have sailed once with 5.2, once with 4.7 and once with 4.3 sails, enjoying my wave windsurfing like never before.

The last day with 4.3 sail , during morning session, the wind was the proper for this sail and the board feels perfect in those conditions. But afternoon wind began to increase reaching at the end, gusts of 40 and 45 knots.

I have a 3.5 and a 3.9 sails, but it seemed to me that it was to much for quad 76. I took my Da Curve 73 (Tabou) but wind was too strong and gusty to enjoy myself.

My intention is to buy another smaller quad, but I don't know if 71 or 66.
What I'm searching is the best for 4.3 and 3.9, and able to be sailed confortablely with 3.5, but only in very few occasions.

I sail in winter in Mallorca. We don't have the better conditions. When the wind is strong , it is always gusty too, and that's why I doubt about the convenience of Quad 66 for these conditions. In fact, if you think 71 can be ridden confortablely with a 3.5, then I prefer it than 66.

I'm used to reduce fin (in single fin boards) when wind increases ( in Da curve I used 24, 22, 20 and 19 cms. fins since 5.2 to 3.5 sails) and maybe quad 71 with the set of 13-11 cms works really well with 3.5 sail.

I'm 70 kg. when dry.

Thanks and Congratulations again
marclucrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2009, 09:17 AM   #2
aa25

I'm 74 kg and have used the 71 quad (wood convertible) in powered 4.0 cross off and bump'n'jump. Excellent board. Feels more like 74 litres heading out through the waves but still compact and controllable in the strong gusts. Allows for really confident driven bottom turns even in overpowered conditions and a fantastic forgiving top turn. Cranks upwind and easy to float on when not planing (for 71 litre board). I wouldn't need to go smaller than this as pretty much covers me up to 5.0. A 66 could be really fun if mostly at 4.0 end of sail range.
aa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

That's a tough call marclucrey. On one hand, Q76 and Q71 seem rather close, but on the other hand the Q66 is indeed a small board. At least for me, the limit of the Q66 is not planing, speed upwind or gliding through lulls (I'm 72). If feels very efficient even with a 4.5 or 5.0. Instead, it is the small width that simply becomes a problem whenever you are not keeping speed up in the wave riding. At only 53cms, it need a lot of drive to stay loose and agile. But when you have the conditions for it, it really makes the high wind sailing more comfortable. So in a way, it's a luxury board.

The Q71 with smaller fins comes a long way to make high wind sailing comfortable too though. If you sail comfortable with 4.3 in the Q76, I think you can handle 3.5 on the Q71. I only tried it down to 4.0 so far, but that no problem. Even thought the Q76 and 71 seem close, I think they in practice complement each other very well. When the 76 start to be just that little bit cumbersome in the wave riding, the 71 is well into its range. So you'll get a perfect overlap that will enable you to choose board size depending on wave direction, wave type etc, not only sail size. Use the smaller board and a bigger sail to ride really powered up but still in control or the bigger board and a smaller sail to still get around easy but also be able to milk the most out of the wave riding.

So it comes down to if you want to invest in having the perfect too for the windiest of days or to have a more balanced quiver which gives you the ability to fine tune the "feel" you want for the day by choosing board size.

Most sailors in fact tend to stay quite happy on 70+ boards even in very windy conditions. Check out the video below. Most sailors are light weight but I still think I'm the only on on a sub 70 liter board. This IS the type of day when the Quad 66 really shines though (3.5 sailing). So if you value the best possible performance in that kind of sailing, the 66 is worth considering, for sure.

http://www.vimeo.com/7253587
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 06:16 PM   #4
marclucrey

Default Reply to Ola_H

Thank you very much for your clarifications. Now I'm sure to take Quad 71 (I have already ordered), because we only have one day per year for 3.5, and I prefer to have the tuning you mention and a better board for 3.9 , 4.3 or even 4,7 powered.

Let me just two more questions about mast position:

1) Do you think I can sail quad 76 with 5.7 comfortable? Do you think an adjustment of mast position will help? do I try to nose or to tail?

2) the same for Quad 71 with small front fins and 3.5 . Do you think a mast adjustment can help to feel more comfortable? Again, do I try to nose or to tail?

Thank you very much and all the best, Ola_H
Marc
Old 30th October 2009, 03:53 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Mast position adjustements is in my experience a very individual thing and you pretty much have to try out for yourself what works. Fx, normally, you get the advice to push the mast foot forwards to easier keep the nose down in very windy conditions, but if anything, I rather push it back a hunch to get closer to the rig and get more control over the board with my feet instead (now we're talking really choppy and windy stuff). SO just go out and experiment. In practice, I tend to find a sweet spot for a board and then stay there regardless of sail size and wind strength. Usually in the middle of the box. Also remember you can trim the board a lot with boom height.

5.7 works OK on the Q76 but better with the 16cm front fins. But you will get a set of those with the 71. When the board get closer to being "over-sailed", you need to pay a bit more attention when just getting onto the plane. Basically, you have to bear off a bit to let the fins get some clean waterflow before putting pressure on them. Standard technique, but for some reason the board seem to "trick" some people into believing there is more grip from standstill that there is, resulting in a funny going sideways feel. It's a rare phenomenon, but I think you will recognize from the description above if it ever happens to you. But just get up to speed a bit more gently and all the normal grip is there again (also with a bigger sail).

On the 71: The 13cm fins will be a great addition. You gonna be able to do a whole lot of fin experimenting with two boards, three front sets and two rear sets. But unless with big sails and onshore, I think you will stick with the 13+11. But for sure try other combos. For me, its more about tuning the feel of the board than a pure adjustement to fit sail size. Again on the mast foot: stick it int he middle to start out with. My GUESS is that you rather would like to move it back in strong winds to soften up the ride and get a more "centered" and "ready" stance.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2009, 05:18 AM   #6
marclucrey

Thank you very much for your words, Ola_H.
I will go out with both boards and several sails and try and then will come back with my experience. I will need a couple of months because we only have wind one or two days per week in average.

all the best
Marc