Old 3rd November 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
agrelon

Default JP Supersport vs. SB Futura

Hi all,

Two boards I'm also considering at the moment are the JP Supersport 91 and the Futura 93. Has anyone tried both these boards and can make comparisons?

This would be my medium wind, bft 5-6ish, board and I'm only 55kg. The board would be sailed in choppy conditions, with very unstable and gusty wind.

Thanks.
Old 3rd November 2009, 07:50 PM   #2
van

Hi buddy,

I have the Futura 93 and wouldn't change the board for anything. But I'm 66-68 kg and I love it cause it is 61.5cm wide and the board goes through lulls better than most equivalent freeride boards I know. It is also fast. Very fast. I would say just under iSonic performance and in rough chop that could be debatable.

But for your size for 5-6 bft I would go as small as possible. You are light enough to go through lulls so as much as I love the Futura I think the JP would be best for you.
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2009, 08:47 PM   #3
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by van View Post
Hi buddy,

I have the Futura 93 and wouldn't change the board for anything. But I'm 66-68 kg and I love it cause it is 61.5cm wide and the board goes through lulls better than most equivalent freeride boards I know. It is also fast. Very fast. I would say just under iSonic performance and in rough chop that could be debatable.

But for your size for 5-6 bft I would go as small as possible. You are light enough to go through lulls so as much as I love the Futura I think the JP would be best for you.
Yeah, the JP is 3cm thinner which will probably make it feel like a smaller board in high wind compared to the Futura. I guess the difference in volume is pretty much irrelevant. My current board is 64cm wide so I think the difference would definitely be felt whilst riding this smaller board in high wind.
Old 4th November 2009, 03:18 AM   #4
Maximus

I've sailed both. The F93 was a wood and the SS91 was a carbon. Much preferred the wood through the chop. I'd go the F93, I beleive SB has a couple of years refinement over JP IMHO. The F93 has a lower and more controlled ride.
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2009, 04:10 PM   #5
agrelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
I've sailed both. The F93 was a wood and the SS91 was a carbon. Much preferred the wood through the chop. I'd go the F93, I beleive SB has a couple of years refinement over JP IMHO. The F93 has a lower and more controlled ride.
Interesting... Have you used the Futura 93 in highwind? (bft 6 or more)?
Old 4th November 2009, 07:41 PM   #6
van

Hi agrelon

If you want my opinion, at your weight if I was looking to buy a board for 5-6 bft I would look for a board with the least volume. If you are not interested in jumping and interested in just going fast I would go with a small slalom board say iSonic 86 or 81 of JP slalom 81. If you are interested in jumping then your original choice of jp ss or sb futura is the only one. But remember at 55 kgs you are very light and although the freeride boards are very user friendly and easy to ride I personally think you should look at the smaller slalom boards with the least volume so you don't get bounced around when overpowered. Also bear in mind that the new generation slaloms are quite user freindly and very controllable compared to what we were used to in the past. They are just damn fast and less friendly than the freerides. Are you up for them? And remember no other board performs better in unstable conditions than the slaloms cause they plane earlier and hold their plane longer than any freeride board. As long as you use them in flat to max choppy conditions you'll be fine.
Old 4th November 2009, 09:28 PM   #7
agrelon

Yeah, when it gets windy here it's choppy so I want to jump too. I need to try a 70l ish board to see if I can handle it. I can waterstart no problem on both tacks so it should be fine to sail, I just want to see how hard tacking/jibing will be.

Are you saying the SS and Futura are good boards for jumping?

Thanks.
Old 5th November 2009, 02:40 AM   #8
van

Yes for high speed jumps of good chop they are great. I jump my Futura all the time. That why I prefer it to an iSonic.