Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 18th August 2010, 06:58 PM   #1
Shorehamsurfer

Thumbs down Quad Issues

Hi there,

I bought a 2010 76L Quad (wood/carbon) in the Winter last year, I have been sailing it all summer (when I can) and I am finding that i just cant get comfortable on it.

Its hard to explain the sensation but it feels like i cant get parallel enough to it when sailing, as if the front footstraps are angled too far back, i find this particularly on Port tack. I am running the footstraps in the middle position and did try getting a more outboard angle by changing the bottom screw to one firther forward but this didnt help.

The result is that it feels like there is loads of pressure on the outside of the leading foot (towards the front of the board) when i am sailing and i can't seem to get settled.

I have a number of other boards (Kode 112, F2 Style Guerilla 84 and Fanatic Newwave 68) and have none of the smae problems on them so i dont think its the sail set up.

Sorry if this makes no sense but i thought I'd try to see if there are any ideas before i have to sell the board and try something else,

Thanks,

Rich
Shorehamsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 04:24 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hmm, I don't really recognize that. I'm gonna have to think about it a bit to see if I can come up with some ideas. Do you feel you push a lot with your front foot or is it more like just hanging in there?

Maybe you could see if raising (or maybe lowering) the boom somewhat might help?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2010, 05:15 PM   #3
Shorehamsurfer

Thanks for your reply Ola, I tend to push a fair bit through the front foot, it kind of feels like I cant straighten the back leg as much as i would normally and get more parallel with the board, maybe moving the whole strap(s) forward one notch might help?

Its a shme because i love the board for its early planing and jumpging ability but its just not comfortable to sail right now,

Thanks,

Rich
Old 20th August 2010, 03:02 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, maybe you can try moving the straps too. But my experience is that things you do to the rig (mast foot position, boom height and even trim) affects the stance more than more foot strap movements. And I even remember some people commenting on that they changed their boom height a bit when they first got their 2010 Quads (don't remember in which direction though, so you will have to experiment a bit with it). I'd say that the reason is that with these types of Quad boards, the whole "center of effort" of the fin cluster is further forwards relative the strap position and relative the board as whole. So you're effectively having the fins close to the sail, in a way. Some people have commented that it sometimes feel like the board is going more upwind than the sailor/rig. Do you recognize that description?

In any case, I'm sure that there is something that can be done to the trim to solve this and boom height would be my first choice. But you might also be able to find a "better" way to push the board. WIth the fin coe so far forwards, I tend to feel the I'm not pushing with the front foot, nor the back foot. I'm rather just standing on the board, going along with the ride. On you're typical board, you sort of have to push the board in some way to get the drive to go upwind, but on the Quads this is not the case. It's almost like the less you push it, the better upwind it goes. But it's not like with fx a single fin with a super small fin where it's more about that you can't push the fin or you'd spin out. The Quad cluster produces a lot of drive, but sort of wan't to be left alone doing it, without the sailor interfering. Sounds kind of hooky maybe, but you might get the point....

If I'm correct, any sort of sail trim change (and deliberate stance change) that will lead you to stand a bit more upright on the board will help.

Tells us how things proceed.

Last edited by Ola_H; 20th August 2010 at 05:28 PM.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Shorehamsurfer

Thanks Ola, I will try altering the rig and stance to see if i can crack it, apprecitate your thoughts and i'll let you know how i get on when i next get out there,

Rich
Old 24th August 2010, 01:21 AM   #6
Chesapeake

Shorehamsurfer,

I think I understand your sensation, as I have experienced it myself. I solved it by moving both front and back straps all the way forward and opening up both front and back straps slightly (but particularly the front straps). When planing, I focus on driving the board with the balls of my feet. By doing this, you trim the board flatter, ride in a more upright position, and keep your heels from digging in the windward rail.

I hope this helps,
Mike
Chesapeake is offline   Reply With Quote