Old 9th November 2009, 11:59 PM   #1
RichieP

Default kode 80L and 94L

Hi,

I am interested in buying a Kode 80 and 94L. I wondered if there is any i difference between the 2009 and 2010 models for these two versions. I can see that the 94L has cahnges to the tail but nothing mentioned about the 80L

Also I have a 2008 Evo XTV 75L Wood and Tecnora 96L Kombat. I find that the Evo Wood dings/damages the gel coat really easily compared to the Technora Kombat. There for I am thinking of the new Wood Carbon construction for the Kode and just wondered if it would be any more robust than the Wood version?

Any advice welcomed
Thanks
Rich.P
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2009, 03:04 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm pretty sure the K80 is the same. There are some updates in the wood carbon construction and I think the fin is no longer G10 but a flexier normal fibreglass fin. In practice you can for sure as well use a 2009. The 94, as you say, has some shape updates to the tail.

Regarding strength, you might have had bad luck with your EVO wood. I've had lots of wood baords over the years, and almost all of them have handled the rocky places ai sail where you regularly have your boards washed up on the rocks very well. But I remember that one of them chipped a bit easier. I think that maybe there might have been some problem with the paint/putty/gel coat on that particular board.

Normally, I reckon a wood board would handle dings the best. This is also my experience in practice. The wood carbon is not only a more expensive construction (lighter but pricier materials) but also a lighter construction overall. I've still had good results with rock encounters on the WCs, but still a few more repairs. That could be a case of bad luck, it's impossible to really know what kind of hit the boards have taken, but statistically wood seems a bit stronger.

In the 94 liter version the wood construction is lighter than in the 80 liter, which means that both the weight difference and strength difference between w and wc is smaller. The WC is still a bit stiffer though and may feel a bit crisper to ride.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2009, 12:44 AM   #3
RichieP

Thanks for your response It's very helpful and it makes sense to go for the cheaper Wood option in reality.
RichieP is offline   Reply With Quote