Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 7th December 2006, 08:25 PM   #1
Karen

Default Evo 74 2006: how to trim it for an easy ride in the chop?

I have just bought an Evo 74 2006 which I have ridden twice up to now.

Most of the time I intend to use it with a 4.2m?? and 3.8m??.
Sometimes with a 5.0m?? and 5.5m??
My weight is 62 kg (+ 6 kg (dry) neoprene/trapeze etc.).
Normally I sail on choppy water (Grevelingenmeer in the Netherlands).
I realize I must put more front foot pressure and adapt a more straight standing up style with a wave board (I am used to ride the FF-138 2004 and the Kombat 96 2006 with the freeride fin only).

When I ride the Evo, the board tends to put the nose into the wind all the time until I finish in the water if I don't take care. The same when I am entering the rear footstrap. For the rest I realize that it is a very stable board, even with the 5.5m??.

My questions:
Which fin position for an easy ride in the chop?
Mastfoot position? What is meant by the middle of the masttrack: the masttrack included the lengt of the "hole" where you enter the mastfoot or the length of the masttrack without the hole?
Which type/length of fin can I buy as a second fin for the 5.5m???

Karen
Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 02:22 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Default RE: Evo 74 2006: how to trim it for an easy ride in the chop?

I think the reason for the "nose into the wind" is mostly that you??'re not used to a board this small. An EVO might do this a tad more that a similar sized classic wave board, but the difference is marginal. Its not really a trim issue either. The way to handle it is to get used to "hang" a bit more on the boom and put a bit more past foot pressure on the board. You also need to get the whole rig a bit more forward of yourself until your planing. It feels a bit awkward at first, but quickly becomes second nature. When you master this, you will be able to sail sub planing with both feet in the straps (uncomfortable, but possible and sometimes handy). Again, its all about distributing pressure between your feet and the mast foot.

As for the trim issues: The fin position for ease through chop is very difficult to comment on since it depends a lot on how you ride the board. I would say that the fin in the middle works well. Fin and straps further back on an EVO means you will need more feel to avoid spinouts and sometimes you can also get the feel that the sail and fins sort of does not "connect".

On the 05 E74, I use the mast track about 131-132xm from the tail (if I recall correctly). Thats in the rear part of the box.

For 5.5 bump and jump sailing I would suggest a slightly stiffer fin than standard, maybe a 2007 Drake crossover 24 or even 26 if you want some more fin power (but at your weight you should get away with the 24). If you cant get that fin, most good freewave fins will do.

Cheers
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2006, 07:47 PM   #3
Karen

Default RE: Evo 74 2006: how to trim it for an easy ride in the chop?

Hej Ola,

Thanks for your help!

You are right, I think it's in the first place a matter of learning to adapt my style/stand to smaller boards that are moreover wave oriented.

Moreover, you made me realize that I made a mistake by putting the fin as much back as possible in the fin box.

I will modify my riding style according to your instructions, put the fin in the middle of the box and put the mastfoot in the rear part of the box at +/- 131-132. I guess with some exercice it will work out just fine.

Also will I buy myself a stiffer/bigger fin for the 5.5.

Your help is appreciated!

Karen

Karen is offline   Reply With Quote