Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th August 2009, 05:12 PM   #1
chandra

Default Wave board newcomer - what to choose?

Hi all.
Just want to start wave sailing. Experience - 3 year in windsurfing. Have 99 and 107 JP Freestyle boards now. Sails range - 4,5 - 7,5. I like JP but they say that Starboard is more forgiving for novice. Put an eye on Evo, Evil Twin and ... probably Quad? ....
I'm on a crossroad for now and need your help, friends. My weight is 78 kg, 179 cm tall.
Mainly will sail with on-shore wind, waves up to 2 m.
Thanks in advance for all answers!!!
chandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi Chandra. It will depend a little bit on what kind of sailing you want to do and what you need help with the most. A Kode will be fast and easy and help you to keep speed, go upwind and so on. But particularly in onshore it need good technique to turn frontside and ride the waves. So if your intentions are to learn that, I would not get the Kode. The EVO on the other hand, is a classic for just that and it's amazingly good for learning how to ride waves frontside. The EVO requires a little more technique to go upwind though. It is rather indivudual how much this seems to bother people, most don't even notice this and the may well be the most popular board in the word for wave riding "real world" stuff (like onshore and not so big waves). The Evil Twin can be considered the more radical cousin of the EVO. The general feel is the same, but for a wave novice I would say the character of the EVO is exaggerated. It turns even easier, but upwind gets a lsight bit more technical. With the right feel for it, I would say it goes upwind better (very good in fact), but you need to learn to not overpower the fins with back foot pressure. But if you feel inspired, the Evil Twin can for sure be an alternative.

The Quad is also a very close relative to the EVO and is very easy in bad waves and should be as good for learning wave riding. It is not as exceptionally turny as the ET but instead keeps speed on the wave extremely good which will be a great help for many beginners. And an added benefit of the Quad compared to EVO and ET is that it goes upwind very, very good and does so also without any special care. It's just a lot of fin grip in there. So from this perspective, the Quad maybe looks like hte best choice, but the two other are very good too, and it may also be a question of finding used boards at a better price.

As for sizing; If you're comfortable with a 99 liter, I think you can safely go down to su 80 liters for a wave board. Both EVO, ET and Quads are very forgiving for their size and you don't neet to oversize them to get stability. So I would say EVO 75, ET 74 or Quad 76 are the ones to look for.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2009, 02:35 PM   #3
chandra

Thank you so much, Ola!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm very appreciate you found time to answer my question a few more:

1. Would it be good to get convertible Quad (to one fin board) or a simple Quad? Which one to choose?
2. Also if I choose 76 Quad would it be good for light winds? I don't sink with my 99 L freestyle board at all and a sail 7,5 if there is no wind or having very light wind. Will I sink with 5,3 with the same conditions on 76 Quad or now? 76 looks great but ... I'm a little bit afraid for this size ... BUT I trust you 100% so, please, a few more words for a size choice.

Good luck!

Last edited by chandra; 13th August 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 13th August 2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

1. I have one of my quads as a convertible, but the only experimentation i did so far was to use it as a three fin (thruster setup). This worked well, but overall not as well as the quad setup. SO I can't really say how the board wil work as a single fin. But I can say that as long as you are in any kind of waves, you will probably never use the single fin option. There is one possible exception and this is if you will load the board up with a very big (say 6.0 or something) sail. Then I think a fin setup with the thrusters in front and then a bit bigger rear fin would be a good option. But the extra center box adds about 400-500 grams of weight, I think, so personally I would go without it.

If you sail a lot of flat water and want to tune the board into a more fsw like board, then the single fin makes sense. But only if max speed is what your looking for.

Technically, you will sink if you stand absolutely still. But as long as there is _any_ wind driving you forwards, the board will feel nice and floaty and 5.3 is WELL within what the board handles. ANd if you sail the 99l freestyle with a 7.5 (which is a big sail on that board and that normally requires some good technique) I don't think you will have any problems with the 76 even in light wind 5.3.

But if in doubt, there is always the Quad 81, which is similar in dimension only a bit longer. It fur sure feels a bit "corkier". I think the 81 will handle 4.5 very well for you too, but still I think that you overall would be more happy on the 76 even if you tried them both. With a 5.3 you will not plane earlier with the 81, the only difference will be that slightly floatier feel at standstill.

Look at http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2641 for some imags of me )72kg) sailing some small waves in very, very light wind on the Quad 76. I have the 81 too, but I will surely end up with the 76 being the biggest board I need since it works so well even in light wind.
Old 13th August 2009, 04:03 PM   #5
chandra

Great answer! Will order 76 Quad, not convertible.
Thank you, Ola.
All the best!
P.S. I'm every day on that forum, you gave me the link to, - HSM. All my sails are HSM Frankly speaking that page with your pictures on Quad was a start point for me to look for a Quad as my wave board. And your answers were what I was looking for as a good advice. So thanks again, Ola!

Last edited by chandra; 13th August 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 14th November 2009, 04:29 AM   #6
chandra

Ola, one more question: I've ordered here 76 L Quad but the dealer in Ukraine (Extreme style company) said that no support with fins - I mean when I asked to let me know prices for spare fins, the answer was that there is NO such support for the Ukraine Could you help me to get info where I can to get to know about spare fins, prices for them and the way I can order additional fins?
Thank you in advance!
Old 14th November 2009, 02:52 PM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

I suppose you can check with other importers in Europe and have them post the fins. When the Quads were first released importers were specifically told that it might be a good idea to stock up on fins, but maybe all didn't take notice. The 13cm fins was also released later.

I can check if the Swedish importer have the fins in stock and what the price is. I'll get back monday or tuesday with more info. (I have a few spares myself so in an emergency I could maybe help out. I already sent some to southeast Europe.)
Old 14th November 2009, 03:03 PM   #8
leysenkr

Are here non-starboard or non-professional surfers who have tried the Quad? Especially beginners information I'm interested in.
leysenkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2009, 06:12 PM   #9
chandra

Thanks Ola. Will wait results.
Old 15th November 2009, 03:30 AM   #10
Helmer

Hi leysenkr
I have tried the Quad 81 in flat conditions and lighter winds
I am 83 kg and a medium wave sailor, not as fast as I used to be.
I found the quad easy planning, almost impossible to make spin out on it; actually only one fin took air (removing back foot pressure immediately stopped the "spinout".
Very snappy on turns upwind and downwind. Stays on the plane even during extreme turning.
I have ordered the Quad 86 after this test ride.

Cheers Helmer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Helmer is offline   Reply With Quote