Old 7th June 2009, 05:42 AM   #1
erik

Default techtonics advise

Hi Kevin,

Good you give me a fin advise for my isonic 101 2009

Sails 6,2/7.0/7.8 pryde evo 2

weight 94 kg

Are the techtonics a good match for the board?
Which type and size do i need (falcon/goldwing or tomcat)

I didn't liked the drake,s. Now i use the curtis sr6b. Are the techtonics an improvement?

Greetings from holland

erik
erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2009, 09:22 PM   #2
Ken

Erik,

Not Kevin, but here is a little about the techtonics fin that I have. I have an 2008 iS 111, but only wanted to invest in one fin, so I bought a Tomcat 42. I probably would have gone for the Goldwing, but it only comes in sizes 26-38 cm. I weigh 79kg

However, I really like the Tomcat. Seems fast and never spins out. If pushed out, it comes right back without pulling it in. The 42 is a little small for my Maui Sails 8.4 TR3. Perfect for my 7.6 TR4 and a little big for my 6.6 TR4. I don't slalom race much, mostly freeriding so I like a larger fin to help with the upwind work. I have been over 30 knots (GPS) with my 6.6 in choppy water with good control with the 42cm fin.

I hope this helps a little. I don't think Kevin uses Techtonics so he may not respond, but if you post on the Free Forum, you may get more responses.

My Tomcat 42 is significantly better than the Drakes that came with my board (38 & 44). However, I have seen some recent reports that the new Drakes may be better than the 2008 models. I don't know if they changed the design for '09 or not, but the '08 fins have BIG spin out problems.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 09:52 PM   #3
davide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken View Post

My Tomcat 42 is significantly better than the Drakes that came with my board (38 & 44). However, I have seen some recent reports that the new Drakes may be better than the 2008 models. I don't know if they changed the design for '09 or not, but the '08 fins have BIG spin out problems.
Just to bring in a bit more info on the Drake, I have a Isonic 2008 and I am quite happy with the 38 and 44, I wet sanded them with 1200 grit and I do not have spin out problems (I never tried them before wet sanding).
I am tempted to get a Vector Canefire 40m (I really like my Rockit 32/36) to go with the board but since I do not race this might be really low in the list.
davide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 01:32 AM   #4
Ken

Davide,

I wet sanded mine too and it did help with the spin out, but I still like the Tomcat more than the Drakes. Since I don't do much down wind slalom, I am pretty heavy on my back foot, so the Tomcat with a more powerful foil works better for me.
Old 17th June 2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Papounet

Forget the Falcon, it's only for small boards
GW only for downwind
Tomcat 38 or 40 for the 7.6.
Dont take too big, for example, i use a 42 on the iSonic 125 / 8.4 other 15 Knots for the same weight...

The new one, the Talon is perhaps the good choice for the small sails.
It close the GAP between Tomcat and GW
Papounet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Ken

I went out yesterday to test my sanded Drake 44 again on my 8.4 and iS 111 in winds of 10 - 18 knots.

Over 70 minutes of sailing, I spun out maybe 4 times, but the bad thing about the Drakes is that once the fin breaks loose, it's really hard to pull it back in. I have to drop down in speed (under 10-15 knots) to get the fin back in and to get going again. In a close slalom race, you will be in big trouble if you spinout.

This is where the magic of the Tomcat comes in. If you do push it out, it comes right back without having to pull it in.
Old 18th June 2009, 02:15 PM   #7
dan e

Save your self some time and money experimenting on fins. Get a molded prepeg fin from Deboichet, Select etc. Its worth the money. Sail your board the way it was intended to be. Like I mentioned in another thread, a bad fin is like having bicycle tires on a Ferrari.

Dan
dan e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2009, 10:19 PM   #8
Ken

Another observation regarding the iS 111, the fins and the foot strap set up. In my opinion, the 111 is specifically designed for downwind slalom, that's where it excells and is the most comfortable. Beam reaching or working upwind is not as comfortable with the foot strap set up, plus there is a lot of pressure on the back foot, which increases the likelyhood of spin out if you are not fully powered.

This is a big reason I am not happy with the Drake fins, they are not designed for much lift / power, which is not my sailing style. I mostly just freeride on my board and only race slalom a couple times a year.
Old 21st June 2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Kevin Pritchard
Dream Team Member

I am still liking the Deboichet fins. If you can get them, they are pretty dang nice. I have been using the SL4 42 and 40 and 38 on the 111. They are pretty dang fast those fins. The Techtonics are good fins too. They have just came out with a new fin that I can't think of the name of it but a lot of guys are using them. They are called the Talon. .Cool name for sure but I have yet to try one.. Sorry I could not be of more help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kevin Pritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2009, 07:56 AM   #10
D.Neory

Send a message via ICQ to D.Neory
Default techtonics advise

oh man hah you need all four,

well im about check out pets inc and ill let you know much they go for there

but that all 4 for 40 is a GREAT deal
D.Neory is offline   Reply With Quote