Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 3rd February 2010, 11:05 PM   #1
racerX

Default Kode 74 or Quad Convertible 76 which would suit best?

I currently have a Kode 103, and 4.2/4.7/5.5/6.5 sails the two smallers sails I bought for a waveboard, for some time in the future as I can use the two smaller sails properly in shallow flat water only.

I started about about a year ago, and are starting to become comfortable sailing the kode 103, can tack it and about to start learning to carve gybe, and can waterstart well.

I am looking for a board for the 4.2/4.7 with the ability to handle the 5.5 when needed. I am considering Kode 74 or the quad convertible 76.

I am not yet comfortable hitting waves at speed, and maximum speed is not really my thing but my next goal is mastering bump and jump, and carve gybes

Which of these boards would suit me best? I sail mostly is the small surf of south east england.

The quad convertible, is appealing with its single fin option, and low clearance of the four fins in shallow surf.
racerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

Hard to say of Kode or Quad would be better, but since B&J seems to be what you're gonna use the board for the Kode to me sounds like the best choice. But something to remember is that the Quad 76 is a very big 76 liter board (58cm wide) while the Kode 74 is a rather small 74 liter board. In fact, I would even say the Quad76 sails bigger than the Kode 80.

Everything depends a bit on your weight, but if you are not really light, I would suggest that you go for the Kode 80 which will handle 5.5, work perfectly with 4.7 and handle 4.2 well too. And it will leave less of a gap up to the Kode 103 too.

But if you're intrigued by the Quad 76 why not have a go. I haven't tried it in single fin mode myself (I have a convertible but just like it too much in the quad setup). But many reports say it is indeed really good as a single fin. The Q76 handles 5.5 well and 4.7 too. 4.2 can be a bit hectic at my weight (72) but especially in for B&J sailing (as opposed to full on wave sailing) its perfectly manageable.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 04:43 PM   #3
racerX

Should have posted my weight 72kg and sometimes less. I noticed the Kode 74 was very narrow compared to the quad 76. At that weight would yo still recommend the Kode 80?
Old 5th February 2010, 02:47 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Like me then. Tough call. When speaking Kode, the 74 and 80 are in fact not so far apart. For pure wave sailing the 74 would give you the biggest range overall and it can take 5.5 with a bigger fin. But for more B&J style sailing, the 80 will in the end probably be better, at least if you don't encounter the powered up 4.2 days too often. It's a very controllable and secure ride and the tail is narrow and smooth so it's easier than volume and width indicate in windy stuff. And when not fully powered up it's a more stable platform which might be good when coming from the 103.

But if you're still thinking about the Quad, the reasoning goes sort fo the other way... the 76 is boarderline on being to big for 4.2. You need some experience in "holding it together" to do it comfortably at your weight , I reckon. For sure lots and lots easier than with the 103 though (to put it in perspective). But the Quad 71 is an option too. It will get sinky at standstill, but due to to planshap not that bad. And it can take a 5.5. In convertible mode you can trim it for extra sail carrying capability with a 2+1 setup (side fins and a center fin in the 17-20 range). It's in fact not much narrower than the Kode 80 and even though it has more rocker, it also has a bit harder rails the compensate.

Options, options...
Old 1st March 2010, 10:10 PM   #5
racerX

I am going to go for the Kode, think is a better option for a 'progressor'.

So it's down to the 74L kode or 80L Kode. I am going to keep th 103L FSW which when I got it as my first board was tiny but I am starting to get the hang of it, perhaps in time I will change it for a 94L Kode. My sails 4.2/4.7/5.5/6.5 which so far have had pretty even use...

As its hard to rent a small on windy day I am taking the plunge... without trying one. I can waterstart all the time, and I am thinking the 74L is the best choice at my weight of 72kg. I want this for 4.2/4.7 and even windier days.

I am comfortable that I can handle the 74L board when planning, or at least will at some point My concerns with going the smaller board is that is will sink completely when slogging, and be impossible to uphaul if the wind dies, and not enough float in onshore wave conditions. (I am not expecting it be easy), but if go for the 'safer' 80 litre will I be looking to get a even smaller board which is not an option for me. As I have the safety net of the big kode what would you recommend?

Last edited by racerX; 1st March 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:16 PM   #6
PG

It sounds to me as if you are at a stage in your skills development where it would make sense to purchase a used / older (like m2007, m2008) board (maybe even a sub-80 liter FSW) for half the price of a new one. You will anyhow not be able to appreciate the subtle differences between new wave boards, and by the time you get the grip on it your new board will show a lot of wear already (and be ready for an update).

Get a new top of the line waveboard later when you really can appreciate it!
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 04:34 PM   #7
racerX

Buying second hand doesn't really work for me thanks. Interested in advice between the 74L kode or 80L Kode, from sailors in my weight range 72kg.

Last edited by racerX; 2nd March 2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 2nd March 2010, 06:03 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I would say the 80. Of course, the 74 will be a tad nicer when it's super windy, but the Kode 80 must surely be one of the most controllable 80 liter boards ever made. And it sails smaller than 80 liter anyway. Unless you really live for the powered up 4.0 (or smaller) days or if you are serious about front side wave riding in good waves and/or lots of wind, the 80 will probably be a better all round alternative. And it's it does offer some extra in light wind and with bigger sails, as well as more security when uphauling, so you will have more chances to sail it than you would a 74. All this means you will probably progress faster on the 80 and have more fun in the process.
Old 2nd March 2010, 08:01 PM   #9
racerX

Quote:
Unless you really live for the powered up 4.0 (or smaller) days or if you are serious about front side wave riding in good waves and/or lots of wind, the 80 will probably be a better all round alternative
I would like still like to be able to go out when its howling < 4.2M weather, I already do, on the kode 103 but only on flat water :-) I have a trip to tariffa this summer that I wold like to use the board on, but when it gets stronger than 4.2 I think my limit will be sailing bays, or behind a sand bar...

For someone light ~72kg is < 4.2 metre weather doable in chop (bump and jump) on the Kode 80?
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:06 PM   #10
racerX

Question for Ola.

I have been thinking again about what I want this board for, and are thinking the Kode 74 might still be the best.

I think the only concern I have is what it will be like when slogging at 72kg, and 75 in my gimp outfit...

My question for Ola (you mentioned you are similar weight) will I be in submarine mode, if I find my self in ~15 knots, or will it slog along albeit just slowly?