Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 23rd December 2009, 08:02 PM   #11
Farlo

Well I guess that at around 100 Kg you may consider surviving in 40 Knts. Hi Floyd, you should give a try to one of the old plastic Tiga. Early planing was never their best feature but for control/comfort in high wind & hard water there are still unmatched. It's definitely a different kind of sailing.

Last edited by Farlo; 23rd December 2009 at 08:47 PM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 04:52 AM   #12
mark h

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac33 View Post
are u sure u mean 40knots.

most sailors cannot sail in 30knots.

in 35knots even on 4.0m very feware sailing and less sheeting in.

in 40knots, never saw anyone sail, unless in sheltered water.

i do remember 6/7 years ago, two of australias top 5 slalom sailors got caught out in approx 40/45 knots in the swan river. they both were in water for over 5mins till gust past.

to answer your question.... the green + bluemistral flow of around 10 years ago sailed very high out of water and safe.
Don't mean to sound rude, but its just not true to say "most sailors cannot sail in 30knots". Who were to two slalom guys you saw in trouble, and were they on the wrong kit for the 5 minute squall?

30 knots is stage one of high winds and when it all starts to be fun. 5.8m/6.3m for speed/slalom and 5m for waves is were its at in those winds.

I agree that a lot of guys/girls start to struggle in solid 40k winds, and only decent sailors can tame 45/50k winds. But 30k winds, be it flat water speed/freestyle, coastal sailing/slalom or wave sailing is not "untouchable" for experienced/half decent sailors. I would recommend "all" sailors to try it, its a hoot

Happy holidays to all

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 05:04 AM   #13
Unregistered

Wink

have a tiga plastic board , dont use it much as its on the heavy side and as you mentioned not the earliest planing but it rode nice when the wind was up.
shredulato
Old 24th December 2009, 10:53 PM   #14
mac33

the two were robbie radis + chris lockwood, had lots of fun watching these two go down simultanously as gust came through. no-one could sail in that gust. they were on race gear, chris on 5.0m other i think on 5.8m. averaged 30 knots, gusting to high 40's.

did see once a heavy scandinavian bloke [100kg] fully sheet in,wind around 40knots plus sailed for about 400metres.at end of run the wind picked his kit up and blew it 30m towards shore.
mac33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 12:27 AM   #15
Farlo

Where do you pick these numbers from? 30~40 Knts do not happen every day but are not exceptional in France and I know a few sailors doing better than just surviving in such conditions. Happy Xmas to you all.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 01:42 AM   #16
Floyd

Wink

Its the etarnal argument about actual wind some folk can sail in !!!
Before moving to Leucate France I would have agreed with Mac33 that 35 knots was perhaps max limit for "enjoyable playful " sailing.Having spent last 3 years down there its quite obvious some can easily exceed that limit (I`m not one of them !!!)

Last October gusts were coming through recorded at 53 knots ; with a steady 45 knots.(from Windfinder and Leucate Met Station) 3 lads rolled up; helped each other rig(in lee of sand dune) and sailed !! I was struggling walking !!! (It was on Etang not open sea)

I reckon 40k is a realistic goal for me !!
Thanks for input.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 01:58 AM   #17
mark h

Hey Mac, Is Robbie still competing and how is he doing these days? Have not heard about him since ADDECO tour days. I know he had some bad luck and also took time off from Kinetic to build a family home.

I know for sure that both Robbie and Chris can deal with high winds. One off the legs on the ADDECO (Pengue) is one of the windiest places on the planet, most events were held in 40k plus open sea's and Robbie won most years accept for the years that F192 AA, US10 MP and S10 AB turned up. All these guys and many other world class guys always said that this was one of the toughest races ever.

Chris is out on a 5.5m to 7m in 30k to 40k these days on his speed kit. Again, making it look easy.

Did you claim maritime salvage rights to the Scandinavians kit)

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2009, 04:01 AM   #18
mac33

robbie has not competed for a few years, chris only sails upwind/downwind with small boards and big sails looking for gps times. heard he put gash in his leg or something while sailing. you can check aust sailing+ wa from website.

http://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=8
Old 26th December 2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Unregistered

Robbie was a great ambassador for the sport on the AWT.
Together with Anders and Antoine, they were the best at handling the 40 knots plus in Penghu.
But its what you get used to and the locals in Penghu were always out in good numbers in those conditions, usually on less than 4 m2 sails.
The (pro) racers almost always used 5.0 race sails.
I once saw Anders race there with a 4.0 wave sail once it got to 50 knots !
Old 27th December 2009, 03:46 AM   #20
mac33

sailed last wed afternoon in twilight slalom at peli/point,[swan river] wind around 25knots gusting to 30 knots. state of water due to 100 sailors, boats etc was pretty radical. chop + swell combined with seriously strong wind made just finishing each 2km heat an achievement.
out of 20 to 30 who competed in the heats many pulled out, it was soo radical.
sailed in stronger wind but not with chop everywhere and swells too.
i pulled out after finishing 2 heats, my forearms attempting to gybe around buoys were killing me.
everyone was sailing so slow, as combo of wind + chop + swell was scary.
going out to mark was torture, average board speed maybe 15 knots only . on way back to inside mark around 20 knots.
i finished close to last, but learned alot, more downhaul and smaller fin!
a few of top guys got caught out using too big gear and pulled out.
never experienced anything quite like that in 20 years of sailing.