Old 15th October 2007, 02:32 PM   #1
mr.V

Default which futura??

Hello everybody,

I am quite new to this addictive sport and I seek some advice.

I have been taking lessons for 2 months and I have seen a good progress. For the past month I have been using an F2 one70 with NP 6.0 SOLO in medium wind conditions (donated from a friend) and continue to take lessons on an F2 PHOENIX 320 with the same sail. I am getting easily into the footstraps and use the harness quite effectively. I am ok with beach starting and gybing but light years away from water starting.

I am planning to purchase my first freeride in a couple of months (donation ends)
On reading the specs of the new futura I decided that I should go for the 122 to be able to uphaul but some friends suggested that I should go for the 111 given the fact that she's quite wide.

In your opinion will my learning curve slow down a lot if I go from 170 to 122 or is this a step I should eventually take. Please also keep in mind that I am looking for a board that will keep me focused for at least 2 years.

I weigh 75 kg's and look forward to your advice on this issue.
Sorry for writting such a legthy inquiry.

Nik.
mr.V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nik,
No worries on giving us a little more info to work with. More info here normally gets you better more informed responses.

If you are sailing a 6.0 m2 NP Solo at 75 Kg. (165.3 lbs.) on a large medium volume transition board now (One70 and Phoenix 320), and you are powered up most of the time, then a 122 liter board is not going to be a real problem for you to get used to.
The 111 liter will only be slightly more difficult.
Are all the other sailors where you have been sailing on 6.0 m2 rigs as well?
What size boards are sailors of height/weight similar to yours sailing?
It won't be as easy to uphaul the Futura 111 right at first, but the board has enough reserve volume for a 75 Kg. sailor to uphaul easily in flat water conditions.
When the conditions get rougher, and you can't uphaul, it's due to the water surface conditions, not the volume or width of your board.
So, take a look at what your friends and other sailors are using, and if you've got the skills mastered on the transiton boards (I hope you aren't using the centerboard to stay upwind) you should be able to adapt to the smaller Futura 111 or 122 very easily.
Rig size may be pretty critical here.
If you are using a 6.0 m2 on the big boards, you may want to look at a 6.5 -7.0 m2 rig for the smaller Futuras as you are going to need a little more power to get you going.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2007, 09:34 PM   #3
crazychemical

i can't dissagree with Roger but i would recommend you take the 122. There is nothing wrong with extra volume especially in transition and the futura's have a big sailrange with a relatively good overlap so the 122 is a very nice choice if you're sailing 6.0 and bigger (you said you were sailing medium winds and i assume those are most frequent at your spot then). as you progress, like roger mentioned you may want to start looking at 7.0's or even 7.5s which'll sail a lot easier on a 122 then on a 111 especially at first. When i sail 113 L with a 7.6 it's far from a easy to get out of the water because of a) my weight which is about 15 k more than urs, but also because, of the amount of water that the sail takes making it a lot heavier, even after 'draining' the water out of the sleeve and stuff.
And then there are all the afore mentioned factors that Roger wrote earlier.

hope you clear things out soon
Old 16th October 2007, 01:35 AM   #4
mr.V

Thanks for the fast response.

I have found both replys very helpfull. To answer some of Roger's questions the usual wind strength I am sailing at the training spot is 10 to 13 knots however I plan most of the time to be sailing at my village where I would get a range of 12 to 17 knots and some days even more. That's why I have given some thought to the 111 although I think I would be on the safe side with the 122.

Fortunately I don't use the centerboard upwind any more when I sail the Phoenix.

A guy I met at the particular beach at the same level as I am uses an F2 STOKE 125 with a 6,2 NP SABER.

However in the small country where I come from it is unfortunate that you will not get true advice; most people in the business will talk you out of taking more than 2-3 lessons. They will try to convince you that you might need two or three different boards for the first couple of years as a way to go.

Any way thanks a lot for you time guys.
Old 26th October 2007, 06:51 PM   #5
mr.V

Any other suggestions on the board size issue for the sails and conditions that I am quoting above?

Cheers, Nik.
Old 26th October 2007, 09:11 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nik,
I still like the Futura 122 overall, as it's a bit wider which will give you better initial stability and better ability to plane in < 14 knots of wind.
If 12-17 knots is about the most wind you will see, I would think a larger (6.5 m2 free race camless/cambered as a minimum) rig would give you alot more planing time.
The Futura 111 will certainly work, but you give up a little low wind planing, and initial stability.
I weigh a little more than you do and I'd be on a 7.5m2 or larger rig until at least 16 knots.
Maybe you have a different sort of wind that I've never experienced, but the sail sizes you are describing seem very small (under-powered) for the windspeeds you describe.
Hope this helps,
Old 1st November 2007, 07:47 PM   #7
mr.V

Once again many thanks for the response Roger.

Even from my limited experience I can also see that the guy I mentioned above sails underpowered. I will probably opt for the FU 122 with a 6,7-7 ish freerace sail.

One final question I have for you (...I promise that the next time you will here from me will be when I will actually ride my new equipment), is what would you consider as a top-end wind range limit for the FU 122 at my weight? 20 - 22 knots maybe?

Nik.
Old 1st November 2007, 11:00 PM   #8
crazychemical

75 K with a 7.0 ... that ends at around 16 knots i guess, i ride with my 90 KG and 7.6 and a 139L up to 17 knots or so, then i try to push my limits but usually i got strait down to 6.2 and, depending if the wind is constant or not, to a 113L board ... i have sailed my 139 in about 22 knots with a 5.5 and a small fin (smaller then recommended by starboard) which worked perfectly well except for a few controle issues. So as my guess with the 122 and your weight is that you could probably pull a 5-er till 22 knots aswell.

cheers
Old 2nd November 2007, 06:15 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Nik,
There's really no "definite" top end wind range for a particular board.
You can sail the Futura 122 up to maybe 25 knots, probably more if you have small sails and fins, but the "fun factor" is going to start dropping off at around 20 knots, so 20-22 knots, on a 4.5-5.5 m2 rig, with a small 32 cm fin is pretty realistic.
You can do more, but you won't be comfy of a board that large or wide.
Hope this helps,
Old 28th May 2010, 10:16 PM   #10
Ryan

Hi, please help me choose which futura, 122 or 111 best suitable for 6.0 to 7.0 ezzy freeride 4 sails. I'm 180lbs and like to plane in 15knots of wind.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote