Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th January 2007, 07:48 PM   #21

Default RE: Anybody try the Apollo Yet?

In miami we ride f2 v upwind 20 m/h and down wind 25 m/h with wind of 14 max m/h wind ??????????????
www.miamiwindsurfing.com
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2007, 08:12 PM   #22

Default RE: Apollo

Hi Guys:
Since mid of Dec I have my Apollo. Until now I did a view test rides with 11,8 11,0 and 10 SSR and R19 75 and 70cm. I found by the help of my GPS that the upwind average speed is 3 - 5 km/h less compared to the F161. So I can go higher in low winds. Finally that means the optimum planing design speed in upwind is 3-5km/h less than that of the F161. So overall this will result in a lower necessary windspeed for planing, app the posted 2kn. During my tests the wind speed was between 7-10kn. Testrials Apollo vs. F61 will follow.
Peter, AUT-84
Old 10th January 2007, 12:21 AM   #23
steveC

Hi Peter,

Just curious whether you find a noticable difference in the Apollo's performance using the 70 versus the 75cm fin. Although racing is currently limited to use of the 70cm maximum fin length, it would still be of interest to learn more about the speed and upwind advantages that could be gained with the larger fin in the lightest of winds.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 02:54 PM   #24
Expander

Quote:
Guest...so overall this will result in a lower necessary windspeed for planing, app the posted 2kn. During my tests the wind speed was between 7-10kn...
--

Hi Peter,

tell us something about your weight and wind / sea condition: with 11,8 SSR were you really able to plane at 7 knots ?

What about Apollo water release at that wind speed ?

- Exp.
Expander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 08:30 PM   #25

Default RE: Apollo

tell us something about your weight and wind / sea condition: with 11,8 SSR were you really able to plane at 7 knots ?
What about Apollo water release at that wind speed ?

real windspeed: usually I masure on the land between my trials. To get more precise measures in this low winds I have orderd now a waterproof skywatch Xplorer anemometer for measurements on the water in short stops. Will see what it tells moreless online.
Just curious whether you find a noticable difference in the Apollo's performance using the 70 versus the 75cm fin. Although racing is currently limited to use of the 70cm maximum fin length, it would still be of interest to learn more about the speed and upwind advantages that could be gained with the larger fin in the lightest of winds
immedeately you feel the 75cm fin, the move is leisurely. You can feel the speed limits in gusts. If you race in a two marks race I am sure you dont feel this limits, you will go as high and as deep as possible. Thats just true as long you have no real stronger gusts where your friends on the Formulas can accelarate much more.

peter
Old 19th January 2007, 03:08 PM   #26
Expander

--

For Peter, Vienna.

--

Hi Peter, some other APOLLO tests on Neusiedlersee ??

Did you take advantage of last week mild temperatures ?

I don't really know how wether is in Austria in this period but here, in Italy, wether was unusually mild...

I heard someone speaking about unpleasant Apollo tendency in thumping on water (due larger front board surface) in choppy condition... some confirmation?

Thank you.

- Expander.
Old 25th January 2007, 04:50 PM   #27
Expander

--

Since Peter from Vienna is vanished, some other "hot" impressions about Apollo ???

- Exp.
Old 26th January 2007, 05:29 AM   #28
Starfarrel

Come on you lucky owners, we are waiting for your precious reports !!

Starfarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 06:28 AM   #29

forget about the apollo, if is 9 knots of wind and up f2 formula will kill every formula board ever build. f2 V is the most complete board in the market you will see. don't be ?????????
Old 4th February 2007, 03:19 PM   #30
Hugh Jarmes

I will be getting my new Apollo next week.

I hope to be trying it out as soon as possible but it is currently pretty cold and windless in the UK

Nevertheless as soon as there is enough wind and the air temp gets close to 10 I will be out.

Testing will be against my current 160 and my old x-186 (still the best early-planing FW board made by SB in my opinion) I will be using 12.5 (Windwing) 11.6, 9.8 (RS5) and perhaps 9 or 8.5 (Neutrons).

I will also try and compare the 75cm stock fin with my 70cm Deb R13 +8

I am 185cm and 95kg (and feeling my age)

Watch this space
Hugh Jarmes is offline   Reply With Quote