Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 1st February 2010, 07:44 PM   #1
tonymatta

Default Rapid Wear at Phantom 380 centreboard mounting shim pivot

The comment below was posted on the LBWS website. I am also having the same problem with my phantom 320 - 2009 model. my board has only had 5 months of regular use.

Has this question come up before on the forum? Does Starboard have a solution for this?

"I have been periodically checking and watching the pivot hole in one of the 3 mm thick GRP centreboard shims, wear on my new Phantom 380. The board is only 1/2 a season old and the pivot hole in one shim is already showing signs of enlarging. As I see it the shim wear problem could be reduced if the brass pivot pin was made slightly longer. The centreboard slot in my board is 30 mm wide, the brass pivot pin is 28 mm long, so the pin can “float” across the slot by 2 mm. The current system does not allow any “lateral control” of where the pin sits. In the worst situation the pivot pin would be seated fully in one shim (3mm) and be seated only 1 mm into the other shim. That is what I think has been happening with my board. I am thinking that if I make a new brass pin that is (say) 29.8 mm long, then the pin will only be able to “laterally float” 0.2 mm and therefore remain reasonably seated in each shim all the time. Is anyone else seeing the same sort of wear on their centreboard mounting shims at the pivot?"
tonymatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 01:03 PM   #2
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Tonnymatta,

This problem is resolve already the new boards are deliver with a definitelly stronger side plate without increase the weight, the hole can not be bigger now.

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2010, 02:50 PM   #3
tonymatta

Will Starboard supply upgraded sideplates for my board?
Old 2nd February 2010, 04:29 PM   #4
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Tonymatta,

Please contact your distributor as waranty case if it's damage as our waranty policy, thanks

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Old 11th March 2010, 04:48 AM   #5
tonymatta

Hi Remi

I got the upgraded replacement plates. I see that they are longer to stop the exessive sideways movement of the CB.

I noticed that plates also prevent the board from rotating down as far when fully extended. The stoper cant reach the original deck. The CB is therefore raked back a little more.

Will the few degrees less rotation make much difference going upwind?

The top of the side plates could be trimmed a little to allow full rotation while still keeping the sideways movement to a minimum.
Old 20th March 2010, 08:44 AM   #6
tonymatta

I'm sorry to say that the new casings haven't solved the problem.
I used them last week probably about five hours. Today I went out and the CB poped out after 15 minutes. The edges of the holes in the casing a slightly chipped but not too badly damaged

I mentioned to my local shop when I picked up the casings, that I think there are still two problems.
- The length of the pivot pin
- The widening in the bottom of the CB slot near the rubber strip that keeps the water out.

These are still allowing the casings to separate enough to let the CB slip out.

I didn't want to do anything that could void my warranty, but I have put some epoxy filler in to close the gap between the casings and the CB slot walls, in that section where the pin sits.

I have cut a stainless pin which is 2mm longer which I could use. that was the longest that could slide into the slot. It is not as tight a fit in the CB hole as the brass pin but it sticks in position well enough with a little bit of electrical insulation tape in the hole with it. It would probably be better if Starboard could provide a longer brass pin.

I have sent a claim through the wholesaler but is there anything else I should be doing or not doing?

also my question in the last post was not answered.
Old 22nd March 2010, 02:51 PM   #7
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi Tonymatta,

You didn't have the good side plate in replacement, the new one have a washer to prevent this problem, please contact your distributor to get it, thanks and keep me up date.

All the best

UltraSonic 147

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :