Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th February 2010, 10:15 AM   #1
howieP

Default Question on iSonic 101 (2008)

I am an intermediate sailor who can waterstart, competent in footstrap sailing, 50% success rate on carving gybes. I use my JP superX 96 and 86 most of the time.

I also own an IS101 as a spared board for the milder days. I didn't really try it thoroughly after buying that for half a year until recently there was chance that I can use the board in choppy full-on condition.

Below are the parameters:
Weight 60kg
Wind ranges 12-15 knots
Naish Boxer SL 7.0 (twin cam), 1cm more than the recommend downhaul
F2 G10 Slalom 36 Fin (Stock fin of F2SX 105)
Mast track 1cm to the back of the recommended mark (to compensate the sinking nose)
Footstrap mounted to the 2nd hole from the tail

Came up with the following problems

1. The board tends to go upwind spontanesouly. That's the behavior the board exhibits at a comfortably powered up situation.

2. Crank the nose down can be scary. I have to adopt a strange sailing stance if I have to stay in a beam reach course. It felt like I could never sheet in enough unless I pull my back hand and tip my front foot more that I used to. Tried to tuned my powerline (shorten & lengthen, forward & backward) but unfortunately there's no luck.

3. Heel drag happened sometimes.

It ended up not as enjoyable as using my SuperX to be honest. My friend who is 20kg heavier than I owns a 2007 version of the board. He also experienced the same problem on the same day with 7.0 Mauisail MS2. He became the most wind-ward guy than anyone else on the water that day. My friend has been with his F2SX105 and it is claimed that his SX is not as technical to ride as the iSonic in terms of steering although both of them are of the slalom category.

I was thinking if I should try to move both the mast track and footstrap forward for my light weight (Although nose lift is not really a problem for me)

My friend, however, recently read from NP09 catalog that the pros like F192 ride the board by putting the mast track at a far back position even on a 7.8 NP-RS. He's gonna try it later to see if this work for him as well.

We're adopting a trial and error approach to work out the best way of riding this board. I know that it's a popular board that wins many competition and magazine tests. There should be some way that it can be tuned to give high-performance or at least not as difficult to ride as what was expereinced.

Does anyone has further tuning tips to give?

HowieP

Last edited by howieP; 14th February 2010 at 12:40 PM.
howieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Deja Vu

The simplest thing to do is to experiment with your mast track - try moving it forward of the centre position and keep moving it a little more forward every chance you get so you have an opportunity to get a feel for how the board behaves with multiple mast track positions. At some point you may find a position that is comfortable. Moving it forward should allow you to head the board off wind more easily with foot pressure and help control the board in gusts and chop. Next try different size fins - smaller fins should also help keep the board from heading upwind - as long as you're not spinning out then progressively try smaller fins.
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2010, 12:31 AM   #3
COACHG

For me slalom boards feel better with a nose low attitude and bump & jump boards better with a nose high attitude. I move the mast track back for B&J but move it forward for slalom.

A 36 cm with a 7.0 in 12-15 knts sounds fine for me at around 80 kg, but it may be too much for you at 60 kg. The thing that tells me you are running too much fin is that your heels are digging into the water. It sounds like you are in a struggle to prevent the board from heeling to leeward which is a sure sign of too much fin. Ridding a board on its windward rail instead of sailing it flat is going to make the board want to carve up wind. So I’d agree with Deja Vu on tuning by moving the mast track forward 1 cm at a time and trying a smaller fin.

Also, if you move your mast track forward, raise your boom a little bit each time. Moving the mast track forward forces the sail to rake back a little more each time. Raising your boom helps keep your attachment point or tuning triangle the same.

Coachg

Last edited by COACHG; 15th February 2010 at 12:38 AM.
COACHG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 08:09 AM   #4
howieP

Thank Deja Vu and Coachg for your tips.

I think I have to borrow a 34cm fin from my buddies to see if it works for a 7.0. The day I launched the board was in full power to over power condition. I think a smaller fin would help.

Actually, when I just bought the board, I made my first launch in mild breeze on flat water, the 36cm stock fin plus a 7.0 was a perfect combo at such barely on-power condition. What I can generalize is that, in light air, whatever setting doesn't really make a big difference. When it blows big on choppy condition, higher precision on gear matching is required.

As for the mast track, I am going to try to put that forward to see how the board respond.
howieP is offline   Reply With Quote