Old 22nd February 2010, 01:49 AM   #21
vikingsail

Sorry I missed that message. If I were to demostrate the settings on the 8.5 matrix, (with a crank and a CM, not inch, extension) I would set the extension for 28 cm (26+2) and then rig the sail so that the downhaul was set so there was 4 cm of space between the foot of the sail and the pulley in the extension. adjust outhaul neutral + 2cm. This is the underpowered position. Note the lack of looseness in the upper section of the sail.
Downhaul 2cm more. readjust outhaul neutral+2cm, note how the sail is loose between the upper 2 panels. This is the normal setting.
Downhaul 2cm more (this should be as much as possible), readjust outhaul neutral + 2cm. sail leech should be loose now in 3 panels. this is the setting for max overpowered sailing in 20-25 mph winds.
Everytime you change the downhaul readjust the outhaul to neutral plus 2 cm. If you do this you should easily see the effect downhaul has on sail shape.
You can do the same thing with the Pilot with 8 cm on the extension. Actually the pilot might be the one to test with. You might have to use 10 cm on the extension if the leech does not loosen up. Remember the numbers the manufacture are guidelines not written in stone.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by vikingsail; 22nd February 2010 at 02:00 AM. Reason: correction
vikingsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:58 AM   #22
Lanee

Eric, that rigging guide on the Gaastra site is just terrible! I'm so sorry! According to it, they recommend just one outhaul and downhaul setting for each sail. Check out the rigging guide on the sailworks site as a comparison of what a good rigging guide should look like. I'm not saying to follow those sailworks instructions. But after reading them, I would contact Gaastra to find out why they don't give similar guidance on tuning. Maybe they really do recommend only one setting. Hopefully not.

Viking, where do you get your information, since it doesn't seem to be published by Gaastra anywhere?
Lanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 06:58 AM   #23
eric b 125

that helps a lot, thank you.
eric b 125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:11 AM   #24
eric b 125

by the way: that sailworks rigging guide is way better than what came with my gaastra's. however, the gaastra's rigging guide is a good reference to rig the sail to neutral.
eric b 125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 08:47 AM   #25
vikingsail

Lanee, the Gaastra site does have a page for the 2008 line. The luff and boom specs are listed there.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:16 AM   #26
Lanee

The one I saw recommends only 100% downhaul and outhaul at the given luff and boom length, and says nothing about the adjustments you spoke of. Where did you see the adjustments?
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:12 PM   #27
Ken

Vikingsail pretty much nailed it with his rigging description.

All sails can be rigged for a variety of conditions, even if the manufacture has only one rigging specification. If you are on your largest sail and the wind is marginal, you back off the down haul for a deeper foil and more power. If the wind picks up a bit you can increase the down haul to recommended specifications. If the wind really picks up and you don't want to re-rig, add more down haul to flatten the sails and make the leach really loose. Of course, the outhaul needs to be adjusted accordingly, and for those that that have an on the water adjustable outhaul, you can bag or flatten the sail as needed as lulls and gusts come through.

If you are not using the mast that the sail designer based his sail design around, you may not be able to achieve the desired rigging results. Another brand of mast with identical carbon %, length and IMCS rating may not rig correctly because of different flex characteristics. No way to know if it will perform to specifications unless someone with a lot of experience looks at or sails your rig.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:28 PM   #28
Lanee

I like how everyone makes their own rules. So far in this thread, we've had someone say that there is probably only one correct downhaul setting, even if the manufacturer specifies a range. Now we have a case where the manufacturer recommends only one setting, and folks are saying that wouldn't be true.

It will be interesting to find out why Gaastra only specifies one setting. It is in their best interest to maximize your enjoyment of their sails. No adjustments = no wind range = minimum enjoyment.
Old 23rd February 2010, 03:52 AM   #29
joe_windsurfer

while i was looking for gaastra rigging vids, i had a thought

first here is one rigging vid - 2009 with cams though
http://gaastra.com/images/downloads/...ossrigging.mov

the thought was: the Pritchard brothers now both support Gaastra.
Kevin's corner is right on this website !! and they have their own site - should the gaastra questions go to kevin's corner ??? or on their site ??

was Kevin part of "the team" when they were with Gaastra ??

joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2010, 06:18 AM   #30
vikingsail

The +/- 2 cm works with Sailworks, Ezzy and Niash, and is based on looking at those 3 manufactures guides to rigging. Take a look at the latest Windsurf magazine, they have an very good article on adjusting outhaul and downhaul in modern sails and show the effects on the sail of these changes.