Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 9th March 2010, 03:17 AM   #1
Pierrews

Cool Which fins for QUAD 76 ?

Hello,

I sail the quad 76 as my unique board with 4,2-4,7-5,3. I love this board for the early planning and the drive but I regret a little bit the extreme rail-to-rail ability of "my old" evil-twin.

So I was thinking of changing the fins to get a compromise between early planning and faster response.

Which fins should I change, the front or the rear ? What can I expect with smaller rear fins/ front fins ?

Have you ever tried with small FCS fins in the back? What do you think of the Select fins in 12,5 ?
Pierrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 02:02 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

To get quicker response I think you should change the front fins first to the 13cm Drake ones. That will speed up the response time an also soften up the ride. But smaller rear fins will also help. So if you want to get max looseness from the board, My recommendation is that you get a set of Drake 13cm front fins and then try to fins a small set of (symmetric) back fins around 10cm or so. Since fsc fins are so common it should not be difficult to find a pair. You will loose surprisingly little in early planing when going for smaller fins, at least as long as you're on 5.0 or smaller.

But in the end, it is impossible to get the same extreme quick reactions from any quad system as you can get from a twin. On the other hand the quads offer more drice and speed through the turns.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2010, 09:28 PM   #3
Pierrews

thank you for your answer !
Pierrews is offline   Reply With Quote