Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 11th March 2010, 10:29 AM   #1
eric b 125

Default mast bases...

when i was a kid my dad had me using a rubber mast base. it wasnt a tendon. what's the difference b/w tendon, rubber, and mechanical?
eric b 125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 01:07 PM   #2
PG

For practical purposes: no difference. A matter of taste. They all work well.

The mechanical connector has the advantage that you can connect the mastbase and the extension at any angle without any pressure. But they are not in fashion, maybe too expensive to make?

Good quality rubber or tendon are both safe bets.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 06:03 PM   #3
nonopr

The Mechanical transfer the power of the sail completely and faster as there is no deflection of a rubber part and offer no cushioning for the rig when you hit choppy water. The only disadvantage is that sometimes it does not rotate properly and will pull on you mast track so it can damage your board. I have seen mast tracks pull out of the board completely do to this.
The best One is the tendon which offers almost the same energy transfer from the sail with less deflection and last fairly long. The only thing is that you need to check for cracks once a year when the season starts that way you save your self from a rescue.
The Rubber one offers the most cushioning for the rig and absorbs the must energy does making the rig feel a bit non responsive(for a pro Rider). They last a very long time and as the tendon are very easy and cheap to replace.
Now you know all about the different types.

Last edited by nonopr; 11th March 2010 at 06:05 PM.
nonopr is offline   Reply With Quote