Old 12th April 2010, 10:09 PM   #11
Deja Vu

"gear" = disk with teeth cut into it etc . plural = gears (more than one)
"gear" = equipment. Plural = "gear" being a collective noun. Other examples of collective nouns (words that are spelled and pronounced the same for both singular and plural) are; sheep, deer, information, equipment, and of course the most famous or infamous being the word "beer". Two sheep, three deer and four cows where in the field enjoying the nine beer the hikers had forgotten. Please don't take the above too seriously. It is interesting to watch the English language evolve (or devolve) as time goes on. I just wonder if the evolution of this language has accelerated somewhat due to the number of beer (beers) being consumed on a daily basis?
Deja Vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 11:42 PM   #12
BelSkorpio

Deja Vu, that's a lot of crap, or shall I say "craps" LOL

Unregistered, like I said, I think it could be true for a light weight rider.

Did they mention the weight of the test riders ?

Cheers.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 11:47 PM   #13
Floyd

Question

Fanatic must have got their sums right with Shark bearing in mind results of test mentioned and "fact" that Martin Van Meurs got 38 knots out of one. (He didnt state exactly which one ; assume the 130 ??)

Couple of years ago I hired one in Feurteventura (its all they had left) and sailed it in waves !! It was great; taking into account its size !!! Didnt give impression to me that it was capable of both planing in sub 10 knots and then doing 38 knots !!! Think it might need a fin change to do both ???!!!
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 01:28 AM   #14
Unregistered

Weight of riders: 80kg
Skills: advanced
Old 13th April 2010, 02:07 AM   #15
BelSkorpio

Interesting.

I know that I can get a freeride board planing with a 8.5 m2 from 10 knots with heavy pumping. But I find that the difference between 8 and 10 knots is huge. In this wind range every knot counts.

And there is still the issue of going upwind of course which will be hard with this equipment. No, I prefer definitely formula equipment in these conditions. It offers me a more relaxed ride, despite the heavier gear.

It remains an interestic topic, though.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 03:00 AM   #16
GURGLETROUSERS

It about equates to what I find. Using a Bic Techno 2 160 litre and 8.0 sail (85 kg weight) I find that a gust and energetic pumping can get it onto the plane, and once there, with the help of the apparent wind, I can keep it going in about 10 knots average.

As for fun,the 160 (short and wide) approximates the feel of smaller gear once up and blasting. On those iffy light wind days when it's unlikely to blow up, it ticks all the right boxes.
GURGLETROUSERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:33 AM   #17
agrelon

I've just picked up an anemometer and am going to take it with me on the water next time I sail to see when I start planing with my Futura 93 + 5.8m (30cm fin). Being what most would consider a super lightweight rider at 55kgs it will be interesting to see what wind I need to start planning with this smaller freeride kit.

Does anyone know if by planing, in this test, they mean confortably getting and staying in the footstraps or if it's simply getting the board to lift out of the water? Because there is certainly a difference of at least 1 - 2 knots I would say between the two.
Old 13th April 2010, 05:06 PM   #18
Darko_Z

Generally slalom board will get you planning with less wind than freeride board because slalom boards are wider. But on the other side, race sails like Gaastra Vapor are designed for top speed, not for early planning, so with specialized light wind sail you will get planning with less wind. From this you could conclude that best option, for early planning is slalom board with light wind sail, but problem is that slalom boards and light wind sails donít always work very well together.

If you have wind in range from 10 to 15 knots, you can use light wind sail 8.5m≤. But in area where I live wind is gusty, and I believe this is true for most windsurfing spots. This means wind is less than 10 knots for 20 to 30s, and then up to 20 knots for 15 to 20s. Obviously you canít change to smaller gear within 20s, so you must use sail with huge wind range. Specialized light wind sails donít have huge wind range, you get few knots at low end but you lose much more than that at top end.

At the end only really usable option to get planning when wind is less than 10 knot is formula, especially for heavier windsurfers and upwind sailing.
Darko_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 12:46 AM   #19
PG

It of course depends on where you sail.

When Surf tested FreeRace sails (like Gaastra GTX) in the size 8.5 they found that the Glide 7.5 did have more low end (both planing and speed), but on the other hand it had less top end (both speed and control).

The conclusion was that the Glide 7.5 is an excellent sail in places with light and stable wind, like where winds are thermal. In places with gusty and variable wind the Glide was thought to be too much of a wrestling match.

But it does prove an intersting point, there is not a single truth when it comes to sail size!

If the Glide 7.5 has more power than a freeride 8.5, then a Glide 8.5 has to be VERY powerful. It would be fun to try it...
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Ken

Another issue impacting planing that became exceptionally clear yesterday - I was out on my iS 111 and a Maui Sails TR-4 7.6 in light conditions. A friend was on his new (I think it was an '08 or '09) 130 liter freeride board (unnamed, not Starboard) with a 8.0 Retro and was having considerable trouble getting it to plane. I am sailing by at 25 knots and he couldn't plane even with pumping.

I couldn't believe he was having that much trouble since he was an experienced sailor so I took it out for a test ride. I had the same problem, it was a "dog" and I never got it to break loose and plane flat and fast on the surface. The nose was high and the tail low with too much drag. Mast track all the way forward.

Then after closer inspection to see what was happening, I assumed that it was the VERY soft rails running all the way to the tail. The board just couldn't break away and plane with a clean release of the water, it just wrapped around the rails, holding it down.

The board was wide, light, plenty of volume, but what a piece of crap. I went to the companies web site and from what I could tell, the new model of the board has much sharper rails.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote