Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 18th April 2010, 02:38 AM   #11
Floyd

Cool

Wonder how many other sailors have similar experience to Per ???

We take it for granted that dedicated slalom kit is faster and without doubt looking at fin and width of them compared to equivalent volume freeride they are bound to go up wind better but I`ve not seen any increase in my Vmax over past 4 years on 120 ish litre boards even though I now sail a dedicated slalom board. I`m sure my VMG is better but my Vmax certainly isn`t !!!

Suspect problem lies with comparing boards of equal volume ??? Perhaps a 120 (ish) litre freeride should be compared with a 100 litre slalom (equal width ???). I think it would be a different story but problem is I just dont feel confident enough (with the wind) to go off out on a 100 litre slalom knowing iof the wind drops I`m swimming .. For me I suspect the bigger (buit narrower) freeride gives better Vmax than the slalom board I`d have to sail (do sail)

Perhaps there`s a market for a salom type performance board but with a safety margin of volume built in. (Was it the S type ???)

As for my speed board; it got used twice last year !!! Sub 80 litres + offshore winds + no rescue ????? I`m sure it would be faster ?????
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 10:34 PM   #12
GURGLETROUSERS

Wink

For the sailing for pleasure windsurfer there is another factor to consider. Some boards FEEL fast without necessarily being so, and some fast boards DON'T feel so fast, even though they are.

Since I don't race, give me the feel fast boards . They'll still be able to keep up with the pack at our beach. (A bit of 'trying hard' can usually keep the others roped in! )
GURGLETROUSERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 03:47 PM   #13
Farlo

Hi Floyd, overall width plays a role indeed, but OFO and kick/rocker line probably even more.
Futura's are wider than S-Types of similar volume but I wonder which ones are really faster.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote