Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 13th April 2010, 02:45 PM   #11
marekk

Thanks Agrelon, I think you found crucial questions for me: is iSonic 133 has almost the same shape as 144? How this shape may works with wind 25-30 knots and my weight (110-115 kg)? I think there are questions for Remi.

Last edited by marekk; 13th April 2010 at 06:39 PM.
marekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 09:12 PM   #12
agrelon

Definitely questions for Remi or any of the team, I'm just reasoning from what I've learnt by experience. But in 25-30 knots, definitely a smaller board would be better, as you'll be using sails probably too small to work well with the iSonic 133 or 144. Maybe a 101 in these conditions would be good.
Old 13th April 2010, 11:57 PM   #13
PG

What is missing here is Marek's skill level. Is he really a confident water starter? If he is then he could think about a setup that will work for his 115 kg in the long haul (the end game), and enable him to go out in relatively strong winds as well.

For light winds and big sail a Formula will be agood fit with the 11.4 and 9.5. That should mean quite a lot of TOW.

The complement in a two board quiver should handle sails in the 6.0-6.5 range (and thus winds on flat water up to 30 knots). It should be controllable also when the water is rough. I think a Kode 122, or a RRD FSW 120, both about 70 cm wide, would be a versatile platform.

This size of board will of course be a sinker, but having +5 to +10 liters of volume will make windsurfing reasonably comfortable.

And remember that this type board has similar float as a 65 liter board for Agrelon!
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 06:15 AM   #14
marekk

Thanks PG for your advice. Kode was my first idea, but it is to early for me to sail this board. I like challenge, but I think it will be next target for me. I'm not experienced sailor, so looking rather for not handful but fast board to develop my windsurfing skills. Kode is to close to wave and freestyle boards, so to difficult at my level of skills. This is the reason I ask on this forum for advice: Futura, Carve or iSonic (maybe JP Super
Sport?). I suppose Kode will be to handful for me, but may be I'm wrong.
Old 14th April 2010, 07:22 AM   #15
agrelon

I guess being really light weight does have it's advantages for high wind sailing as with the same respective flotation on a board as a 100kg sailor, my board is going to be 10-20cm thinner, and probably allow for a single back strap, making it easier to keep under control in super hard chop. Same goes for jumping, and jibing, which are both easier on thinner boards.

I'm not sure if the Kodes are that much harder than the Futuras to sail, again a question for team members, but definitely the iSonics are not the way to go if you still feel like your skills can progress a lot. Futura 111 or 121 could be good waterstarting condition boards for Marekk. I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with one of these boards, they get insane reviews all the time. Plus, with the additional footstrap plugs inboard (not available on the iSonics) you can have your feet much more inboard which may give you more control over the board for highwinds and if you want to jump.
Old 14th April 2010, 12:43 PM   #16
PG

I have not sailed the Kode 122, but I have tried a big RRD FSW and it does not get much easier than that in this weight class. Don't get confused by the Kode marketing that really has its roots in the sub-90 liter boards of the range.

The big boards are much easier, with inboard footstraps and probably a much more relaxed mode of surfing than a Futura, bit to speak about an full out Slalom board that really requires both a very big rig for the conditoins, the courage to take it on, and the skills to keep it going.

I think marketing is often misleading, especially for beginners/intermediates. The marketing text is really aimed at advanced windsurfers, to satisfy them. As an intermediate it is likely that you will enjoy control much more than the additional knot in speed that you might achieve with a racier board. If it is choppy you might well be faster with something like a Kode because it enables you to sheet in and go for it.

You may have noticed that Starboard is re-introducing the Carve line of board. My interpretation is that the Futura line simply has developed to far towards the racy edge of the spectrum, and is no longer particularly good for intermediate, less experienced, windsurfers. Thus, a Carve might be the ticket for you as well, but I assume that they will not be available for a long time.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 02:53 PM   #17
marekk

PG, you strike home! I need pure freeride board, not race. Marketing is misleading, I was professional in this branch, and I'm sure you are right.
Starboard has not Carve on the stock. But, you are right, maybe Kode will be good choice? On Starboard Kode site are volumes up to 137 litres, but I'm not sure that the biggest version is offered in my country.