Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 22nd April 2010, 01:05 AM   #11
plaining_exits

One more attempt to catch Star-Boards attention...
plaining_exits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 02:01 PM   #12
kennatt

its also that the centre of effort in relation to the fin and footstraps,moves progressively backwards as the sail size increases hence the need to move the track forwards to prevent overloading the fin,Once you are at the front of the track and the fin is still overloaded then that sail is too big,and causes spin out especially when going upwind in choppy conditions.A monster fin overcomes this to an extent,but then you will go slower because of extra drag.One of the benifits of the hypersonic was that you could use smaller fins because of the hull shaping therefor big sails worked on smaller voulmn and didn't overload the fin. So, most brands give a minimum and max sail size but somewhere either side of middle range give or take a metre are the sweet spots for a given wind strength.you can use sails beyond these sizes I'm sure you could use a 10metre on a 122 or 4 but then there would be no point since you would go better with a bigger or smaller board I would suspect that in testing SB used a 9 m 0n 122 and found that this was about as big as the fins supplied and the comfort level of the board could take once above that then you need to go to the next board up
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 02:50 PM   #13
plaining_exits

kennatt, thank you for the comment! Your explanation on the way SB might determine the sail range makes sense to me. I think I'll just try my luck with the sail and see how it feels...

Thanks everybody!
Old 25th April 2010, 01:40 AM   #14
kennatt

i'm sure it will be fine,but you may need a bigger fin than the one supplied fair winds
kennatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2010, 03:48 PM   #15
plaining_exits

Just FYI, in case anybody's interested: I've now been sailing my futura 122, code red 9.0m2 and 46cm fin a few times and I'm liking it so far. The sail generates far more power in low winds compared to my 7.5m2, so I'm planing maybe 2-3 knots earlier (around 10 knot mark). Gybes need more work, but I'm getting the hang of them too. And the sail definitely can handle a lot of wind, so at the moment, the limiting factor is me. And I'm working on that as well

All in all, I'm very satisfied