Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th November 2006, 02:58 PM   #1
th

Default Isonic vs. jp super-x

hey there, i kinda "grew out" of my JP superx 106 and looking for something a bit faster, so im thinking of the isonic 105 or 111..anyone
knows the biggest differences?..can i use in in "bump and jump"?...
im 200 pounds, so its kinda windy when i use that size...
next board in line is a 114l jp slalom...

thanx in advance!!
th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2006, 03:57 PM   #2
Erik Loots

Send a message via MSN to Erik Loots
Default RE: Isonic vs. jp super-x

isonic will be faster but requires bit different riding style.

Bump & jump is ok, but not to hardcore... I jump my isonic 105 and it still lasts. I do only speedjumps (long).

Isonic range works well with people with some weight... especially planning tru will be way better than superx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 Starboard iSonic woodcarbon 107, iSonic speed special W54, iSonic speed special W44
Sonntag Fins
Severne Reflex Sails
Erik Loots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 04:19 PM   #3
Mezza30

Agreed - the iSonic will be faster... not ridiculously so though, and much will depend on rider input. Because it is an out and out slalom board some people find id more difficult to find the straps (very far outboard) and keep the board going.
Unless you really want a slalom board - which is really not designed for jumping - there are other options. The Stype is nearly as fast as Isonic, so deserves a go
Mezza30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 12:14 AM   #4
Julian

Send a message via MSN to Julian

For jumping I would recommend the Starboard S-Type instead of the iSonic. As said before, the iSonic is a pure slalom monster, and those boards dislike jumping (of course, it's possible but the risks of damaging your board are a lot higher...). The comparison between the JP Super-X and the Starboard iSonic is also a bit weird I think. It's what we call; 'comparing apples with pears' in Holland. I own the iSonic 111 by the way, and the width and strap settings aren't very good for jumping (but for speed and jibes they are perfect!).

Like Mezza30 said: S-Type
Julian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 02:02 AM   #5
Phill104

I know it's wrong to say it on here, but why get rid if the JP SuperX 106 in favour of the similar S-type. From trying both I found the S-type to be a little faster in speed mode than the JP but with the straps inboard the JP was slightly more manouverable but again, not by much.

What I have is 2 boards to cover my moods in the 100ltr area. For those lumpy days when jumping is fun or in waves then I have a Kombat 96. Not too fast with superb control. And for flat, fast days I have an iSonic.

For me this gives me loads of enjoyment and I doubt I will chang my quiver in that area for some time*.

* Unless starboard come up with something that attracts me in August like they have every bloody year

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:45 AM   #6
steveC

Hi Phill104,

You present an interesting duality, and while there can be some obvious overlap, one can focus on the different concepts and reap the rewards of that contrast. I truly think like you about this, especially since I didn't dump the slalom boards a number of years ago when folks tended toward high speed B&J and wave sailing. Having the right kind of quiver and focus gives one the opportunity to work the right margins in accordance with the conditions. Really, this was a critical point why I hung with windsurfing and didn't become a kiter like so many of my friends. Now, with the latest light wind slalom designs, one can leverage fairly flat or moderate sea conditions with speed and style. One needs to have a varied approach and attitude.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote