Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 29th December 2006, 08:29 PM   #1
Danilo

Default Why code red sails aren't balanced simetrically?

Hi, I'm currently using a Severne Code Red 11,0 and I can't understand why I cannot balance simetrically both sides of the sail. Actually, when I sail ''looking'' to my right hand, the harness line on this side is 5cm back comparing to the other side. I talked to other people and they told it also hapens wirh the SSR. Why it hapens with those sails??? Thanks for your attention, Danilo.
Danilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 02:14 PM   #2
mikel

Default RE: Why code red sails aren't balanced simetrically?

This usually is because your body is not simetrical, and you don't have the same position in both sides.
I have the same problem during years.
mikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 05:15 PM   #3
bubi

me too
bubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Danilo

Yeah, it is really commom to sail in different positions in both sides. But it was the first time that I sailed with this large difference -> 5 cm!!! It's too much!! I've sailed with many maks of sails and it was the first time it happens to me...

The strange thing is that in code red 12 the difference between the sides is minor than in the code red 11...

I'm not satisfied cause it's causing loss of income to me. I believe that this difference is caused by some error of structure of the sail, that already comes from 2005 (SSR). It seens to happens only on formula sails.
Danilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:07 AM   #5
steveC

Hi Danilo,

You might want to closely inspect the sails, particularly with regard to the batten pockets. If the construction (fabric plys, stitching, gluing, etc.) of the sail on both sides is not symmetrical, it can favor one side over the other. I don't know if this is the case with your SSRs, but some sails out there incorporate less expensive construction techniques to save cost or weight. It is my thought that price point recreational sails are the most likely candidates for this type of simplified construction approach.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2007, 12:11 AM   #6
Phill104

I'm just guessing here, but apart from sailig style on each tack I can see a couple of other reasons why this may be the case. The first reason I have seen this on large sails it a slightly out of shape boom but this is probably only going to be an issue on ally booms.

The second, and more just guesswork one, is that all the battens are stitched to one side of the sail and this must make some slight difference to the way it performs on each tack and this may get more prononced the bigger the sail gets.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All the latest windsurfing news in one place.
Phill104 is offline   Reply With Quote