Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th May 2010, 09:09 PM   #11
Charlie360

p.s. - I saw this quote from Kevin Pritchard on the PWA site.....

PWA: Are there any new products that you think will give someone the edge?

KP: "I heard that the new North Sails mast base with the shock absorber is going pretty well, but Nik Baker (Fanatic, North) told me that... and he works for them! I think everyone has little bits and bobs that will make them fast."
Charlie360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 12:45 AM   #12
BelSkorpio

Let's see if they will be using the Shox next week in the PWA Ulsan Korea Slalom competition.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 01:29 AM   #13
Farlo

A few more things after reading the whole article in PM. The Shox makes all boards less nervous (as you would expect) and slower to plane. No difference in top speed or even average speed, except in rough conditions where intermediate sailors will feel more confident. In some occasions the Shox was slower. Not very enthousiastic, indeed.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 01:45 PM   #14
Charlie360

Hhmm that doesn't seem very positive at all, I'm a little disappointed, I was hoping it would receive positive reviews everywhere! - I guess on the early planning front it might even reduce mastfoot pressure??
Old 13th May 2010, 08:35 PM   #15
BelSkorpio

Early planing could indeed be the thing where the shoe pinches.

Especially when pumping is involved to get planing, you can use a lot of lift excercised by the sail and mastfoot onto the board. This is probably where you DON'T want vertical movements of the rig. Once planing though, I can see and "feel" intuitively a lot of benefits.

It's probably a little bit the same like with a moutain bike. When going uphill, a back wheel suspension often causes the back wheel to slide on slippery surfaces with a loss of performance as a result. While going downhill, the back wheel suspension has only advantages in absorbing the shocks.

If anyone has already used the shox.xtr, please share your experiences.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2010, 10:46 PM   #16
Unregistered

Thumbs up ShoxXTr

i read in Boards mag they loved the shox. it said something about every tester would rather sail with one than with out and that it did help the speed a lot... also the north team have won every uk BSA slalom even this year using the shox extensions so they must be fairly good.
i hear most of the north dealers have demo extension available which is what i will do to really test them for myself. i gather you should use a gps to really see how much faster they are when you go from a normal extension to the shox then back again.
i look forwards to hearing more about this.
Old 13th May 2010, 11:13 PM   #17
Charlie360

As far as I know there's only been one UK BSA event run and as you say it was won by Guy Cribb, with Mat Pearch and Ant baker second and third, all North sailors and all apparently using the Shox - however this may be as much down to their sailing ability as to the extra performance from the shox - however next week in Korea might give us more indication! I asked Andy Biggs - if they'd have a demo extension and he replied that Nik Baker (as North importer) has the only current Shox extension available in the UK at the moment...
Old 20th May 2010, 10:55 AM   #18
Unregistered

Hmmm... Rumour has it the North riders are not using the shox in Ulsan. So it's claims of "increased speed" and "control in gybes" might not be quite as effective as the marketing makes it out to be.
Old 21st May 2010, 04:22 PM   #19
Charlie360

That's interesting - It was impossible to see from any of the photos whether they were or not! However even if they were it didn't really make any difference to the results!! Apart from maybe Jimmy Diaz....
It would be good if we could confirm that rumour, I'll try and make some enquiries!
Old 22nd May 2010, 01:37 PM   #20
Charlie360

I got an answer to my enquiry - apparently most of the North guys were using chinook extensions in Ulsan!!! Make of that what you will!