Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 22nd May 2010, 03:25 PM   #21
Unregistered

Thumbs up

jimmy ended up with one of his best results ever - and what i hear is that most races he was on the shox
Old 24th May 2010, 05:45 AM   #22
mark h

I really like most of Norths products, especially their Warps, masts and booms, but for Ģ300 for the Shox, I'm not convinced its worth the extra .001% gain or hassle with breakages etc. I loved the concept of the XTR extensions, but spent loads of time sorting repairs. Also, we use loads of effort maintaining mast foot pressure for early planing, speed etc and I feel that the Shox could counter this. Could be wrong, but until im 100% certain that there are easy gains, I'll not be getting one, "for now"

P.S. Jimmy D has been training very hard this year, that could be why he has had a great start to this session. Would like to see him do well this year as he's a top guy.

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 03:22 PM   #23
Farlo

The cost was also pointed by Planche Mag. The Shox leaves me a bit skeptical, although I've been a North fan for a while and like many of their products too. A slack of 6 to 8 cm seems exaggerated if the main purpose is vibration damping. Stiffer is not always better, but simpler often is. An old school UJ may do 80% of the job for a fraction of the price, without compromizing too much on nervosity.

Last edited by Farlo; 25th May 2010 at 12:23 AM.
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 03:03 AM   #24
BelSkorpio

Motion Windsurf Magazine has in the latest edtion also an article about the shox.

It sounds rather positive.

In summary they say the following:

- Shox has no sense on mirror flat water

- In chop, it WILL make you faster. They ground on experiences of speedfreak Alex Lehman, chief editor of the German Free Mag and Windsurf Journal. It made him 4,5 km/h faster on "simple" freeride equipment, which is quite much at 60 km/h.

- it absorbs shocks quite remarkably with flat landings of high jumps.
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2010, 04:56 PM   #25
Charlie360

That's interesting, it makes sense and is perhaps consistent with the conditions in Ulsan - from the footage and pictures that I've seen the breeze was relatively light and therefore the water was flat - hence no advantage really to be had from the shox, therefore inconclusive, perhaps the real test will be on the Canaries leg of the tour when it is traditionally windy and therefore pretty choppy - we'll have to watch out for those events!
Charlie360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2010, 10:16 AM   #26
Unregistered

Smile

I have one. Itīs wonderful. I freeride mainly 150 liter, 100 liter boards and speed and comfort is a hell of a lot better. Now sailing with the Shox for a couple of times going back to the hard hitting old base is terrible. Downwind i chop it really stands out. Everyone will use suspension in the future after trying this.
Old 4th June 2010, 11:27 PM   #27
Charlie360

Is it really that good? Another quick question I had too was this: In some of the pictures I've seen it looks as though the inner shaft for the shox (painted black when new I think) gets worn quite quickly, I guess it must be easy to get sand etc in it - have you found this to be a problem, or is it just paint coming off?
Old 6th June 2010, 03:25 PM   #28
Farlo

Hello #26, what is your level of practice? Have you measured speed improvement or is it mostly feeling?
Farlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2010, 07:13 PM   #29
BelSkorpio

All right, that does it.

Gonna get one too.

Is it true that the rig sits a bit higher up off the deck of the board c/w a normal extension ?
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 05:13 PM   #30
Charlie360

I'm thinking about getting one too - I did ask on the PWA ticker whether the North sailors were using them and apparently Jimmy Diaz used them for every race in Korea - as they say the results speak for themselves!