Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 10th January 2007, 02:20 AM   #11
stefan2511

Default RE: Can you freestyle with a Carve?

Thanks again for all the answers!

I already thought about the S-type, also because it is used in the Super-X discipline. In my eyes super-x is a perfect combination where I'm looking for. But I've heard some people saying that "the s-type is to fast to use for freestyle". Afterall it could be seen as a sort of slalom board. Would the S-type be too technical and too advanced for a advanced beginner like me? Could it be that I get the topspeed of the Carve easier and quicker then the S-type because I'm not that experienced? Is it possible to learn freestyle on the S-type, or is it the same story like the Carve?

Greets Stefan
stefan2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 06:21 AM   #12
GEM

Well that's an interesing twist - a freestylist recommending the S-type over the Flare!

I think that shows that in good hands one can do darned near anything with any board.

As to the comment you've heard that such and such a board is "too fast" - that's almost an oxymoron in windsurfing. In the vast majority of maneuvers (well, FS maneuvers get invented every 5 minutes, so I'll discount those) you almost can't have too much speed. One can be going too fast for a specific maneuver at a particular moment / place, but the sailor can control the power, you know. Going fast is a CHOICE.

Now when you WANT to go fast, some boards will get there and some are just slower. Pretty much all the boards are fast enough; Ola's point that the Flare (and a lot of FS boards) have slalom-type rockers points out the need for speed in freestyle. Compared to years past, even today's wave boards scream - one can't forget Robby Naish's point that "The faster you go, the higher you jump".

So now you have 4 great choices in *B:

Carve - ease of jibing
S-type - quickest, most versatile, but harder to jibe than the Carve
Flare - dedicated FS board, a tiny bit less versatile per Ola
Kombat - great in waves, good all-around one-only board

I've never sailed the Exocets so i can't vouch, but the reviews are great and these days it's hard to make a mistake.

Enough. Pick something and go!
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 10:42 PM   #13
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-

I'd kinda agree with gem, but buying a super-x board is pretty risky, because those boards are made primarily to go fast and win races, not to be that easy to gybe and learn maneuvers.
Old 11th January 2007, 03:18 AM   #14
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Lampi and Gem,

the reason i did recommend the Stype is because stefan is looking for a board that he can do all kind of things with it, from fast,freestyle,cruising

You can't give a guy that want to have a fast board but still have the feeling of wanting to do a bit freestyle a Flare.

The Flare is not faster then the Stype, and with the Stype you can for sure have more option when sailing, either you can just change the footstraps and go freestyling or simple go do a bit of speed slalom cruising with your buddies.

I am considering you the stype as an all around board. and it will for sure be a good choice..

It will be up to you buddy,

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 03:19 AM   #15
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Lampi and Gem,

the reason i did recommend the Stype is because stefan is looking for a board that he can do all kind of things with it, from fast,freestyle,cruising

You can't give a guy that want to have a fast board but still have the feeling of wanting to do a bit freestyle a Flare.

The Flare is not faster then the Stype, and with the Stype you can for sure have more option when sailing, either you can just change the footstraps and go freestyling or simple go do a bit of speed slalom cruising with your buddies.

I am considering you the stype as an all around board. and it will for sure be a good choice..

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11th January 2007, 03:19 AM   #16
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Lampi and Gem,

Taty

Old 11th January 2007, 03:21 AM   #17
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Hi Lampi and Gem,

Taty

Old 11th January 2007, 03:51 AM   #18
stefan2511

Thanks again for the replies!

I've seen a brandnew S-type 2005 104 l. wood for 718 euro's (that's 50% of the original price!), I think that will be the one for me.

Thanks again for the information and advice.

Taty: Succes with your carreer and stuff.
stefan2511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:33 AM   #19
steveC

It's great that Taty came back about the S-Types. In my original review of his comments recommendating the S-Type, I could readily understand his focus, and I thought about adding a comment. For me, the idea that a slalom rocker is hard, or is a problem, has not been my experience. While I'm on custom stuff, I know that a sweet slalom rocker is the key to a great time. Hard to turn? I don't think so, and I can't image that the folks at Starboard are offering a bunch of dogs, especially with the talent and results that have obtained in 2006 with their top riders. Take a look. Really, any other brand will be targeting Starboard's goals and strategys to achieve success. A leader clearly stands out.

Overall, I would place much more credibility on Taty's recommendations concerning the S-Types.

steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 12:10 PM   #20
GEM

Don't take me wrong about hard to turn. Harder than a Carve - I suspect so, and that's what I mean. Hard? Well, I'd be surprised if it is like the old slalom boards...
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote