Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 17th June 2010, 04:53 AM   #11
ChrisN

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post
Hi ChrisN,

Very funny to heard this, just to remind you that we work on this segment since many years and have this board for very long time

Free Formula
F-Type
isonic

And of course as each year we come with all new shape for the iSonic

Very glad that people start to open their mind

By the way I am very inerest to see the Magazine test of the Jp against our isonic 150 2010

All the best
Remi, many THANKS for your answer! I also thought it funny NOT getting an answer in the other thread on this same question, so your viewpoint is appreciated.

As mentioned to Maximus' nihilistic response, we are discussing super-light-wind, early planning, non-Formula boards! The JP SLW, with its longer outline, more volume up front, same width as the iS150, with an OFO as wide as a Formula LWR, seems like a more "agile", nimble, and comfortable than Formula and iS150 boards. Previews from the German SURF and the French PlanchMag (see article) mentioned the differences of this board from Formula & XXL Slalom.

As soon as I read the new SURF test of JP's SLW I will provide a link and the text. Not sure whether they would have the iS150 in this comparison - you could probably investigate that! I am sure that SURF will compare the SLW with the BIRD (from Lorch), as they are both marketed as non-formula, light-wind blasters for use with the Severne Glide or NP Helium type of sails.

The iS150 didn't change that much these last 2-3Y - will it be different in 2011? Moreover, will you offer it in a more lightweight/ CARBON construction?

Looking forward to your answer...

Chris
ChrisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 05:56 PM   #12
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi ChrisN,

I can t talk now is too early, thanks for your patient and wait for the iSonic 150 2009/2010 vs Jp

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 10:18 PM   #13
ChrisN

Remi, I/we all understand you cannot disclose next season news here

We'll have to wait for news on the new(?) Isonic 150 2011 release til August then. I (or others) will certainly share any new Test info as it is released, yet as mentioned, I have some doubts that the German SURF will test the iSonic 150 against the JP SLW90. The iS150 is an XXL Slalom board, while JP's SLW seems like a Light wind, Cross-over Freerace, meaning an XXL Slalom & Freeride board focusing on early planning with sails like Glide+Helium. I attached a picture that really shows the difference btw. these two - the JP looks more like a rounded-tail formula, yet the rails are less boxy than Formula.

As SURF's May Preview of the JP highlighted (see attached) the width of the JP SLW90 makes it a new Superwide Freerace Category :

"This board category is the missing link in the chain. The powerful Early Planning Sails previously lacked a suitable base. Large Freerider are often too heavy, Formulaboards too extreme.
We had - unfortunately only very briefly, then the wind was all gone - the opportunity to sail the new JP at about 7-14 knots. Our impression: The Board with approximately Formula-dimensions is very stable and glides with a bit of pumping very quickly into planning. While planning, a decisive and really new sudden insight comes then: In contrast to Formula boards, one stands on the smart "Race deck" very comfortably. The feet are not overstretched, even though the straps are mounted very pleasantly further inside. Especially in the inner position, one can remain for a very long time relaxed in comparison to the the positions on a Formula. The board has a very subjective nimble and quick feeling. We would sail recommend 8 to 10 square meters. A complete Early Planning test against similar concepts follow as soon as possible."

Comparative boards in this super light-wind category could include SB's Futura 155, Fanatic Falcon 145, Taboo Manta FR 85, AHD SL1 140, RRD X-Fire 130, Naish FreeWide 160, Lorch's BIRD 179, and Goya FXR 145. However, most of these boards are narrower than the SLW90 (and iSonic150), while JP's wider One-Foot-Off makes it much more like a Formula.
Performance though is all speculation untill we get a true comparative test.
Would have been great with a test-center like OTC making an impartial comparison between these 2 great shapes. Such information is very much needed...

R. Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JP_SLW90_SURF_Preview.jpg (27.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg slw_popupB.jpg (21.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 18th June 2010, 11:21 AM   #14
agrelon

JP have just released their official video. Antoine and Micah can really get that thing to fly, despite its size!

Definitely worth a watch:

http://jp-australia.com/2010/index.php?id=25
Old 21st June 2010, 06:26 AM   #15
Remi
STARBOARD DEVELOPMENT

Hi ChrisN,

The curent isonic 150 because is out side the PWA Box, we make it more Free Ride with insert position and deck shape more like a Futura and also have more volume in the nose compare the 2008 model. So this board will be the one to compare to the Jp

All the best

Can answer if you have any questions on this following boards :

Carve 111, 121, 131, 141, 151 & 161
Futura 93, 101, 111, 121, 131 & 141.
iSonic 80, 87, 90, 97, 107, 110, 117 & 130

UltraSonic 147
Formula Experience One Design
Phantom Race 377 & 377 L / 320

Phantom 295 L :

Formula 167 :

Racing Serinity Cat Concept
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2010, 09:46 PM   #16
Joe

Hey Chris - any luck with surf test yet?
Anybody care to translate the previews from the German SURF and the French PlanchMag?
I would love to hear an opinion from a formula rider who has sailed the board.
Looks like a great board!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2010, 03:59 PM   #17
agrelon

I had the chance to sail the new JP slalom VI boards in Greece last week. I used both big ones in light wind, the 76 and the 82. First thing I noticed was how friggin comfortable the pads and footstraps were, definitely an improvement on the older JPs. Don't know how much the new "racedeck" plays in here...

I used a NP Tempo 7.7m on the 121 and a Hellcat 8.2m on the 136. Both planed f****** early. No one else on the water on normal freeride kit was planing, I believe the wind was from 6-13 knts.

Anyways, these boards seriously lose out on the jibe.... I couldn't plane through, even well powered up on the entrance. The JP SLW is even wider, and apparently nice to jibe, so it should be a really, really nice ride for light wind.
Old 14th July 2010, 04:31 AM   #18
ChrisN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Hey Chris - any luck with surf test yet?
Anybody care to translate the previews from the German SURF and the French PlanchMag?
I would love to hear an opinion from a formula rider who has sailed the board.
Looks like a great board!
Hey Joe, you can read the translated Preview from SURF on JP's SLW90 above.

Here is also my hopefully correct translation (Remi help!) from the French PlanchMag Preview (May 2010) - read it carefully and you will understand why I've been asking so many questions to the SB team:

"Derived from its sister Formula, crowned world champion, the novelty of the summer is an early planner with a line that scoops back from the front foot strap. It is a freerace formula intended for advanced sailors taking into account the position of footstraps offset as well. A doomed race deck supports the heel and promote foot comfort. A large G10 fin supplements the whole. It is aiso available in super Hi-Tech Honeycomb (Gold Edition).

ON THE WATER
Less than 10 cm wide than Formula, this is a less scary JP. The planning is dazzling [just as Agrelon highlighted of the SL line], provided you have an adequate engine! 8.0 m2 is a minimum - We can dare to take off up to 11 m2 from 8, 9 to 10 knots depending on level / water condition. It then sailed flat and with ease upwind. The good thing is that it is more accesible than large for most practitioners.

Certainly, it is not surprising for one that is is not initiated, but it's still fairly easy to exploit. Its strength in relation to a Formula is to be easier planner, less physical, and more fun.
It is midway between big XXL slalom boards of 145 liters (85 cm wide) and Formula, as it is wider than ther XXL slalom and planning as a Formula.
Operable by a light winds, the JP is more suited to sailors >75/80 kg and all who sail more often on Force 3 / 4 as well as 5. One can easily gain 1-2 knots in the planing compared to a 85 cm wide slalom and especially go upwind more easily. What one gains compared to the Xxl slalom upwind and in wind lulls one loses out on top speed and especially in the jibes. The very wide rear requires a jibe resembling a Formula.

Effective in light winds it is fun, very fast on plane, and goes well though chop even if it is less easy. It may also be controlled without too much difficulty into force 5.

CONCLUSION
Windsurfing adapted to inland lakes and slightly windy seas, the JP Australia brings a breath of fresh air on the boards market. It offers an alternative to the Formula boards, so much of interest to most practitioners."

The German test of this board is coming on August - magazine available in 10 days. I doubt it will be compared to the iSonic 150 - the only SB comparable to the SLW90...

R. Chris...
Old 16th July 2010, 03:02 AM   #19
BelSkorpio

Hey Chris,

These are the JP 154 test results of a very enthousiastic Dutch test surfer for "Surf Magazine". I gave my best effort to the translation.

Sail test JP 154 in France on Lac de Serre Poncon camping La garenne Crots.

In the period of 14th june - 5th August, I will be testing profoundly the JP 154 on Lac de Serre Poncon for Surf Magazine. At Serre Poncon you almost have every day thermal winds. Because of the great number of surfers on this lake with light wind slalom and formula equipment, it is the ideal spot to make comparable tests. you can make these comparable tests on the level of early planing, upwind & downwind capabilities, planing through lulls and reaching almost every day in heavily varying wind conditions. Until now, I have been able to test against the Magnum 83 (2009), Falcons 124 (2008), 131 (2006) and 145 (2008 model), some older boards and a couple of Formula boards. Sails in the range 8.6, 9.5 and 10.7 with fins 51-70 cm.

Hereby a few interim test results:

1. Sailing comfort is really great. After just a few racks, the board immediately feels good. It planes very easy and points really well. Changing course is remarkably easy on such a wide board. You typically get the feeling of a slalom board, completely different compared with the heavier and cumbersome feeling of a Formula. The acceleration in the gusts is very good. This is true for all courses, i.e. from downwind, reaching to upwind. The top end speed seems high but is difficult to compare because the racks are very short. Overpowered, the board still has a lot of control. Tacking is very simple because of its length and volume distribution. Jibing goes fairly well, also with lots of wind. The foot straps are nicely positioned outside and also because of the elevated foot part you can put a lot of pressure on the board.

2. In comparison with light wind slalom boards, the JP points much better and goes much deeper downwind. Concerning this aspect, it leans much closer to a Formula than to 80+ cm wide slalom board. You can very easily use very long fins. 70 is the longest that I have used.

3. Early planing and planing through lulls with comparable sails is a little bit better than light wind slalom boards. If you take a 10.7 you're always planing first. This is also because a 80 slalom board is rarely used in combination with 10.7.

4. The interim final conclusion is very positive. This board is extremely fit for typical summer conditions, better than any light wind slalom board that I have used so far.

Of course, there will still follow an extended test report in Surf Magazine with all the relevant details. I expect the next coming weeks still a lot of slalom and formula racers. It would be nice to race a few (mini Formula) racks together !

BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 03:08 AM   #20
kiwiben

yeah man. hyper 105! I got one too! United we stand!

But you really should ask more interesting questions... only 1344 views of this thread is amateur hour IMHO
kiwiben is offline   Reply With Quote