Old 3rd July 2007, 06:18 PM   #1
carlawindsurf

Send a message via MSN to carlawindsurf
Default Air jibe

Hello friends,
Now I'm starting on freestyle.
And I wanted to know ow to do the Air jibe, If you can help me please.....

aaaaah!!! and I would want to know, what Freestyle manouvers can I start to do .

Sorry my english is not very good, I'm from spain (costa brava)

Congratulations for your good results in all of the competitions.
Thanks!!

AAAAAAAHHH and what do you think about my new board, I know that It's not a starboard but for the moment I would start freestyling with this board, it's a PALMER 99l
carlawindsurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2007, 07:56 AM   #2
rafael

try first the basics and try switch stance in the straps bicause if you dont you not how to geth out thats was mine first problem
rafael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 06:37 PM   #3
bob2008

Default Air jibe

A Vulcan also known as the Air Jibe is a freestyle windsurfing move, where the sailor performs a sliding downwind 180 degree turn with the board and in the footstraps.
================================================== ============
Bob
Our mission is to provide high quality end to end solutions to the BPO segment in a manner that will improve the operational efficiency while reducing the cost of the services to the client.
4thdimension1@gmail.com
bob2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2010, 11:11 PM   #4
lampyswift

Send a message via ICQ to lampyswift
Default Air j

I can suggest to come on a site where there are many articles on a theme interesting you.
lampyswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2010, 12:38 AM   #5
Helmer

check out "beginner to winner" and "Freestyle" from FYM Video trilogy by Lars Petersen D99
"Feed your Soul" also includes "Beginner to wavesailor"

Keep on trying and you WILL make it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Helmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2010, 12:05 AM   #6
jasoncatchpowle

Hi carla, i can give you a few tips on the air gybe and vulcan.

just a slight note: an air gybe is slightly different from a vulcan, in a vulcan you stay in the footstraps untill the end of the move but with an air gybe you take off out the straps when you take off and land. in my opinion an air gybe is a bit of an 'old style' move so you should probably go for vulcans

first of all to do vulcans i would say you need to be competent at a few things:
1. able to pop the board going downwind
2. bieng able to do basic light wind freestyle e.g. helitacks, sail 360's
3. able to sail switch-stance IN the footstraps, a good exercise is switch-stance flare gybes and switch stance non-planing duck gybes

getting your kit setup right for freestyle is quite important. i personally put a little more out-haul and a little less downhaul on my sails for freestyle and generally sail them in far less wind than i would for blasting as a result usually ending up doing a bit of schlogging. as far as my boards go i have my footstraps loose enough so i can get by feet right over the centre line and somtimes have them a bit past the cetre line, and use the smallest fin i can get away with. i usually move the mast track a little further forward as i believe it makes sliding a little bit easier and position my foot straps on the most inboard and forward position possible. on my 86 ltr freestyle board i genarally sail it with a 5.2 and a 21cm fin in about 17 knots if the wind is consistent and put a 23cm fin in if its a bit gusty i am 63 kilos.

the vulcan comprises of a few steps these are
1. sail fast when preparing for the vulcan as it makes popping and sliding easier and also makes the sail lighter
2. pop the board a bit off the wind
3. similtaneosly let go with your back hand,throwing yourself around, bring your front hand across you(same as a tack) and grab the new boom side with your old back hand and grab the boom with your old front hand which is now your new back hand, doing this all whilst rotating around the nose
4. slide backwards back winded
5. suddenly change from bieng back winded to bieng switch stace going the other way ,when you stop sliding. remember to lean to windward as you change sail side
6. gain a little bit of forward momentem on your new tack, then change the feet round

hope this all makes sense, just remember the vulcan is not very hard and is very acheivable you just need to be dedicated and go out in light winds and practice the key skills such as: switch stance sailing, sailing backwinded e.t.c and you will have it in 2 weeks
jasoncatchpowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:34 PM   #7
Lboongon123

nice board.... i got to get some of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lboongon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2010, 10:34 PM   #8
Lboongon123

Wow,,, this is cool mate.... thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoncatchpowle View Post
Hi carla, i can give you a few tips on the air gybe and vulcan.

just a slight note: an air gybe is slightly different from a vulcan, in a vulcan you stay in the footstraps untill the end of the move but with an air gybe you take off out the straps when you take off and land. in my opinion an air gybe is a bit of an 'old style' move so you should probably go for vulcans

first of all to do vulcans i would say you need to be competent at a few things:
1. able to pop the board going downwind
2. bieng able to do basic light wind freestyle e.g. helitacks, sail 360's
3. able to sail switch-stance IN the footstraps, a good exercise is switch-stance flare gybes and switch stance non-planing duck gybes

getting your kit setup right for freestyle is quite important. i personally put a little more out-haul and a little less downhaul on my sails for freestyle and generally sail them in far less wind than i would for blasting as a result usually ending up doing a bit of schlogging. as far as my boards go i have my footstraps loose enough so i can get by feet right over the centre line and somtimes have them a bit past the cetre line, and use the smallest fin i can get away with. i usually move the mast track a little further forward as i believe it makes sliding a little bit easier and position my foot straps on the most inboard and forward position possible. on my 86 ltr freestyle board i genarally sail it with a 5.2 and a 21cm fin in about 17 knots if the wind is consistent and put a 23cm fin in if its a bit gusty i am 63 kilos.

the vulcan comprises of a few steps these are
1. sail fast when preparing for the vulcan as it makes popping and sliding easier and also makes the sail lighter
2. pop the board a bit off the wind
3. similtaneosly let go with your back hand,throwing yourself around, bring your front hand across you(same as a tack) and grab the new boom side with your old back hand and grab the boom with your old front hand which is now your new back hand, doing this all whilst rotating around the nose
4. slide backwards back winded
5. suddenly change from bieng back winded to bieng switch stace going the other way ,when you stop sliding. remember to lean to windward as you change sail side
6. gain a little bit of forward momentem on your new tack, then change the feet round

hope this all makes sense, just remember the vulcan is not very hard and is very acheivable you just need to be dedicated and go out in light winds and practice the key skills such as: switch stance sailing, sailing backwinded e.t.c and you will have it in 2 weeks

Lboongon123 is offline   Reply With Quote