Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 17th January 2007, 10:58 PM   #11
crazychemical

Default RE: looking for advice buying a new board

I'm a Go surfer but i agree with Hugh, u soon wants something with just that exwtra edge. The go, on flatwater is more like a racing board than a real freerider. Carves offer u that free feel you're looking for and the 133 gives you the possebilety to put your straps inward aswell as outward so for any conditions ur sailable (the Go doesn't have this, a shame though, it only gives u beginner, medial and external setting). The 133 would be the better option if i were you. I always say, take the board with the least amount of liters possible for your level so u can experiment on rougher conditions with it aswell. The Go 139 and Carve 133 resemble eachother in most aspects (go to the 2006 starboard website, they make a professional comparison on it between the carve and the Go).
Have fun and good luck!!
(oh, on my avatar i'm surfin the Go 139 )

Haiko aka Crazychemical
crazychemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 07:14 AM   #12
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Default RE: looking for advice buying a new board

Hi Guest,
I think it depends on if you want a really wide range board (the GO 139 which is really not just a beginner board as someone has suggested) or if you want something a bit more "turny" with a more limited range.
The GO 139 will handle larger (and smaller) sails a bit better than the Carve 133.
Once you get used to the slightly wider (80 cm) Go 139, you will be able to get planing somewhat earlier (same sail size) than you can on the 71.5 cm wide Carve 133.
If you learn a bit from the formula racers (who sail really wide 100 cm wide boards in pretty outrageous conditions...like 25 knots with a 9.0 m2 + rig) you can get quite a bit of high wind performance from the GO 139.
It's just a matter of tuning for the conditions (up to a point of course) to keep the little GO "on the water".
In conditions that suit the high end range of the GO 139. you are going to begin to experience some of the same "too much wind for the range of the board" issues with the Carve 133 unless you are one very heavy sailor.
If you want the largest range, and then a smaller board to cover the 20 knots+ plus range, the GO 139 would be a good place to start your quiver.
Anyone who feels the newer GO boards are only for beginners probably hasn't sailed one fully powered up in 15-22 knots of wind on a 6.5=-7.5 m2 rig.
If you have really big chop and very rough conditions, then the Carve makes a bit more sense.
Hope this helps,
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote