Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 5th June 2010, 07:43 PM   #1
rs24

Default strange SUP post for confused person

i am another new windsurfer (but good surfer) and have two questions: i weigh 185 and am 44 and figure the rio m (s?) looks great...i have been considering a longboard (rrd) because i sup and surf alot and have an opportunity to stash a rig at the destination beach i often paddle to...so i could paddle over sup style, windsurf a bit if conditions allowed and paddle home...i notice a mention of an 8mm insert that sup's use in these forums....do you think i could install one myself? any thots on someone that could do the work in RI or CT?

If that were possible and I got a rio M (s?) do you think I could choose a rig that would allow me to have two different useful toys? ie a small sail that would work well on the sup (a 12' tufflite laird fyg) and work well in more wind on the rio?

i hope ur not confused - i have a sup, want to buy a windsurfer but want to sup to where the rig (and maybe rio) will live so i'd like to install a mast track (or whatever the 8mm thing is) in my sup...2nd question there is someone you can recommend in RI for teaching???? i would really appreciate his/her name...thanks all in advance!
rs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 10:58 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello rs24 and welcome to the Starboard Forums!
What you are proposing can certainly be done.
I'll check on who does top level board repairs in your area.
I do not think that routing out a cavity for a mast box or even simply
drilling out a hole for an 8 mm x 1.0 threaded insert is something you
would want to try unless you have quite a bit of experience with repairing
your surfboards.
If you plan to use the SUP as a sailboard, in really light winds, you may want to
add a fin box on the bottom to help you stay upwind.
At your weight I would suggest the RIO M as a good first windsruf board.
The Rio M has a huge range of use (both as a longboard and as a giant short
board with the centerboard up).
As far as teachers in R.I. I would suggest heading over to Charlestown (Ninigret Pond)
and look up Ellen Faller from the Starboard Team.
She is an excellent instructor, and has the Rio M (I think) for you to try as well as some
Starboard SUP's that already have the inserts so you could try sailing one.
If you need to set something up with Ellen and cannot find her number send me an email
(sailquik@gmail.com) and I will put you in touch with her.
One rig on both boards would work nicely!
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2010, 02:10 AM   #3
rs24

thanks Roger! -

I have been after myself for the last three or four year to compliment the surfing and supping (and sailing with a mast track for the Laird and to get windsurfing -

but every year i fret about the costs and enjoy my supping to and from the beach each weekend day and about every third day kick myself for not doing it when the SW comes up as it often does -

Not Anymore! i bit the bullet and got a rio M and a couple sails from sailworks (who are great people, quite helpful, and have used stuff too!) and will get after it this year.

I must find a way to get the 7.5 retro on the laird though - I have done tons of repair and would expect this to be a very light wind deal so any idea where I can get the part? anyone?

thanks again!
rs24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2010, 12:03 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi rs24,
You should be able to get the mast box from Fiberglass Supply or direct from Chinook
Sailing Products.
http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Prod...rfsailcom.html
http://www.chinooksailing.com/produc...roducts_id=163
You would need to rout a wider slot in the deck of your board, maybe add some hard foam or wood strips in the bottom and sides before you laminate in the mast box.
You need to spread the load out over a larger area.
Then fair in and glass the mast box into the board with the correct type of resin (polyester vs epoxy here).
Should not be too difficult to get a good looking install.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is online now   Reply With Quote