Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 8th July 2010, 01:34 AM   #11
BelSkorpio

I think the JP Slalom IV 84 is something like the Isonic 131, not ?
How does the 9.5 MKIII perform in overpowered conditions ? Enough control ?
The lighter weight will indeed facilitate the pumping, wich one always need in light wind conditions, that's true.
So you're also fan of the Superlight. Big discussions have been going on about this board on this forum. Probably, you've read them.

http://www.star-board.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8687
BelSkorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 02:28 AM   #12
kvda

The MKIII has more power than the Racing of 2007/2008, so next time tell your friend to tune the MKIII the right way! And that means not too much downhaul, quite a lot of belly.
It took me some time too to tune the MKIII ok, but after you' ve found how to do it the MKIII burns on the water.
Of course the NP Racing isn't bad at all, it's a great stable and powerful sail too but quite a bit heavier and the light feeling of the MKIII makes it controllable and fast. You should try the MKIII 7.0 (tuned ok) with the isonic 101 - fantastic!
kvda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2010, 02:53 AM   #13
BelSkorpio

Hi kvda,

Power was not the problem with the MKIII. I'm convinced that it has enough of that.
It was all about control in the gusts while flying & bumping overpowered on the chop.
That's where the RSR excells and makes me faster.
I'm not a pro of course.
Old 8th July 2010, 02:09 PM   #14
Unregistered

Hey BelSkorpio
With my MKIII 9,5 on a JP VI 82, I sail it up to 16-17kts thatīs is fine and secure - from 17 to 19kts it getīs more and more heavy (backhand) and above 20kts I stop....!! Iīd be all over the place :-)

I sail the 7,8 and 9,5 MKIII but my 8,4MKII works better overpowerd - maybe the MKIII are harder to trim than the MKII?

I donīt know - Iīm not a pro.....

/Jan
Old 8th July 2010, 05:45 PM   #15
BelSkorpio

Wow Jan, 16-17 knots (pretty 5 BFt) and a 9,5 m2. Impressive.

Either you have a lot of technique or you have mighty big biceps.

I've been sailing a 8,4MKII last weekend in slightly overpowered conditions (gusts to 16-17 knots). I could handle it because of side off-shore wind with super flat water. I wonder what a RSR 8,4 would feel like in the same conditions.

Greetz.
Old 8th July 2010, 06:15 PM   #16
Unregistered

Haha, no not really any big biceps - but 196cm tall and 95kg, so yes - I do sail larger sails in windy conditions.

/Jan
Old 8th July 2010, 07:13 PM   #17
Kimba

Hi BelSkorpio & Jan,
I have only used the combo a few times and agree with Jan that from 17 knots the draft starts to wander. This is on a day when it starts out light and you tune accordingly. You might get more top end range with tuning but I would rather go to the 7.8 and 68cm board.
I am 110kg/193cm and find that the 130L/84cm(similar to the 131, a little longer@ 241) is just under what would be optimum for me to plane earlier on really marginal days. I hope the extra volume & width will sit a little higher and not be as physical to get planing. I am sure it will lose slightly to a lightwind slalom at the top end deep of the wind but I am after a board that is always on the plane and has the best average speed. I heard from the dealer conference that it is a really fun board to sail.
I agree the MkIII is harder to trim - if you try to your old favourite rigging tricks, I am still learning to re-think my trimming to suit the new designs.
Kimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 06:16 PM   #18
Haggar

I had RSR's in a 6.7 and 5.8 and used these on X6 masts, not ideal I know, but in Aus the X9's are just so expensive. I have changed to RSS MK III's - 6.2 and 7 again on X6's. Initially I thought the control was slightly less on a square reach, but every time I use these sails I like them more and more. Control is fine for me, as for speed, cant comment yet as I hav'nt had the best conditions yet. One of our better GPS sailors did 40 knts + last month here on a 6.2 RS MK III. The tack strap is very important and you have to tune them different. For me they are the best sail for me at the mo and suite me fine. If you've got money to burn, yeah go RSR and X9's

Last edited by Haggar; 12th July 2010 at 06:19 PM.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 08:06 PM   #19
BelSkorpio

Hi Haggar,

Were you able to still test your RSR and RSS sails on the same day in the same conditions or did you already sell your RSR ? Was the ride choppy and rough enough to evaluate the difference on the level of control ?

I was lucky to do that with my friend's RSS sail.
Old 13th July 2010, 09:02 AM   #20
Haggar

Hi BelSkorpio, no I was'nt able to compare on the same day and conditions. I came to a decission point to either keep RSR's and get X9's, or change to RSS's and keep the X6's. It was really a question of budget. There are other sailors that I know that are getting as good as speeds out of the RSS's MKIII's as the RSR's. I would certainly expect the RSR's to be more stable, an extra CAM and wider luff pocket has to pay dividends. I may think differently after next season (no wind here at the mo).
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote