Old 2nd February 2011, 01:54 PM   #1
JamesH

Default Board advice

Relatively new to the sport, I am aiming to do the RYA intermediate course this summer and am looking to buy some kit. I don't want absolute beginner kit with a dagger board as friends have all told me I will grow out of it too quickly, so my current thinking is that I will probably buy a Go 151 (seems to be a good compromise) although somewhat confused by the difference between the Go's, the Carve's and the Futura's. Obviously the 151 has the centre fin but there is a Go, Carve and Futura 141, what's the difference between the boards and their relative pros and cons? The Go's and the Carve's seem particularly close in design and I am wondering whether a Carve 151 (or even possibly a 141) may be a better bet than the Go?

Thanks
JamesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi James,
First, a couple of bits of information that will help us determine which board and board size
to recommend:
1/ What is your weight? (stone/lbs/Kg)
2/ What is the wind strength where you will be using the board most often?
3/ What sort of boards have you been sailing thus far?
The GO Carve and Futura differ the most in weight and durability.
The GO boards are heavier and more durable.
The Carves and lighter in weight and ar emor of an all around board
with turning, carving and jibing being the main focus.
The Futuras are lighter in weight, have better top end speed and may
not be quite as easy to turn and carve as the Carve boards, The Futura
line is more lightly built for more advanced sailors and more performance.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited by Roger; 4th February 2011 at 04:35 AM.
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2011, 01:09 AM   #3
JamesH

Roger,

12.5 stone, various wind strengths, my nearest loction is a raised resevoir other wise it will be down on the coast, thus far I have been on a 225 ltr board. Hoping to make the jump to a 151, nearly bought a Go 155 last year. Therefore wondering whether I would be better with a Go 151 or a Carve 151, I have sailed dingy's a lot when I was a kid so understand the wind and I have never really had a problem getting back up wind, although obviously this is with a dagger board. I can tack and gybe fairly well and have done one beach start. My biggest problem is time on the water because of where I live and the fact that I have a young family so I want something that maximises the benefit from the time I do spend on the water and maximises my progression. My initial thinking was Go 151 but the introduction of the Carve 151 got me wondering.

Thanks

James
Old 4th February 2011, 08:03 AM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi James,
12.5 Stone=175 lbs.= 79.4 Kg. so, you are kinda right in the ideal weight range that Starboard
uses for board and fin design. This is good!
I think the GO 151 might be a bit better as it will have the option to use a center fin while you are learning
to transition from the 225 liter with a centerboard/daggerboard to the 151 liter with no center fin.
This could really help your transition.
What you will find you need to do (without the center fin) (until you get fully planing with larger sails (what sail size are you thinking of buying?)) is to stand enough off center on the upwind side of your new board to get the bottom inclined a little bit upwind rail lower than the downwind rail so the board will carve upwind on the rockerline in the bottom of the board.
Once you are fully planing, then getting upwind should not be a problem.
Right at first, you are going to notice a HUGE difference between the 225 liter longboard and the GO 155.
The longboard with the centerboard down/deployed allowed you to use "rig steering" to go upwind.
If you rake the rig back a bit, the board turns upwind as the power from the sail gets behind the lift from the centerboard.
With no center fin or centerboard, the GO 151 is going to be completely "foot steering".
Having the small center fin (you can change the size to suit if you like) will give you some rig steering capability until you get the feel for foot steering.
So..... perhaps an easier transition, but as soon as you are ready, put the plug in the center fin slot and
sail the GO 151 like a true shortboard, using weight off center when slogging (almost a form of foot steering really) and then completely foot steering when you get planing.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Old 4th February 2011, 04:49 PM   #5
JamesH

Roger,

I'll probably start with a 5.5 or a 6.0, while I realise this may not get the 'most' out of the board I think it will probably get me out on the water more and I will make more progress than with something larger. I think the GO 151 is probably the board, construction wise its probably a better bet than the Technora Carve as I understand Tufskin AST is harder wearing and it will no doubt need to be able to take some knocks.

Thanks

James
Old 4th February 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi James,
At your size, 5.5-6.5 is probably a good choice if you have at least 12-14 knots of wind and
you are still in the learning stages.
The GO 151 should work nicely with a rig that size, and as soon as you are ready you can upgrade
to a 7.5 and probably use the same mast and boom.
Try to spend a little more on the mast, as a light mast really makes a significant difference in over
rig weight and feel.
100% carbon (or at a minimum 75%) will weigh significantly less.
They are a little more fragile, but I have not found that beginners are hard on masts.
Most mast damage occurs "off the water" so get a good mast bag, and treat the mast gently
and it will last almost a lifetime.
Roger