lake in Michigan, USA, currently have a 1997/8 F2 Phoenix longboard with
a retractable dagger. 340cm long and 66cm wide and 195L volume. My sail
is a 6.3 simmer freestyle with a 4.6M 45% Carbon mast. I weigh 70kgs
(160lbs). The lake is a light wind/gusty lake. I am able to plane a few
times a month.
I want a board that will be more agile, plane earlier, one I can
actually jibe, and is fast. The two boards that I think I have
narrowed it down to are the Go and Futura. For my light wind lake, I
assume I need to go up in sail size also, like up to a 9.5 or so ??
Looking for some advice from your experts.
thanks....jfed
jfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 05:50 PM   #2
k.lauman

Yes, you'll benefit from a large sail. The gustier it is, the more power you need to keep planing thru lulls. Not that it's necessary to do that, but short boards sub-plane slowly so it's a major test of patience.

Depending on the quality of your longboard and your distance to lake michigan, you might want to skip the 112-150 ltr range, keep the longboard and just get into a sub-100 ltr board for higher winds and pack the car when it's windy. Your freestyle sail will match up well with a freestyle/wave board around 100 ltrs and you can start jumping on Michigan or Huron... If the longboard is a dog then getting a light and wide freeride with a bigger sail will be a revelation.

Windsurfing on a small lake with a freeride board It helps to be totally powered. That means overpowered in the gusts or it's on and off planing and poor upwind progress. After 3 years of sticking it out on a Techno 112 I gave in and got a 135 iSonic. The techno was marginal with a 7.5 but the iSonic rides fast and free with the same rig. It seems to plane through any wind hole at the expense of tight jibing.

Otherwise it's easy to downsize to a freeride from a longboard, more stable. Either way get a bigger sail for your longboard, like 7.5/8.0 and you will plane more often.

6.3, 7.5, 9.2 would be the ideal light wind quiver. Before u know it you'll have a want for a 5.4, 4.7 and 3.5 for the spring and fall winds!
k.lauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:30 PM   #3
Ken

I would definitely go with the Futura. The weight difference will be noticed in early planing and top end performance. Deciding on the 122 or 133 is the dilemma, with the 133 planing a little bit earlier than the 122, but the 122 will be better in higher winds. Both boards will be easy to uphaul and will be pretty stable.

You have to consider the conditions that you will most likely find and pick the board accordingly. You definitely need larger sails, maybe a 7.5 and a 9.0 for the lighter wind days. However, at your weight, the 9.0 will be a lot of sail, so you might do better with an 8.5 as your biggest sail. You may save on masts and booms too with the 8.5.

If you get to the point where you are traveling to, or find higher winds (20+ knots), a smaller board as k.lauman suggests will be a good idea. You will know when it is time.

Good luck.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 04:22 AM   #4
jfed

thnaks Ken and k. laumam.
your advice is great. In general I will be sailing in light winds. The lake I live on is approx 1.5 miles long and about .5 mile wide. Sounds like between both of your input, a larger sail is the best first step, even on my existing F2 long board. Then go for a Futura for the short board. Since I do not get big winds very often, it sounds like the 133 is the best. Will the Futura be OK in non-planning winds ?? I have a neighbor with a GO and a 8.5 sail, he rules the lake with speed and jibing, doing circles around me and my long board....
Old 17th July 2010, 01:13 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi jfed,
I think you will find that if you get an 8.5 m2 rig, he won't be going past and around you as quickly if at all.
Your Phoenix, with the center board up, will not be that much slower than the GO your neighbor has.
Yes, the Phoenix is a bit narrower, so in very light conditions, the GO will plane earlier, but it sounds like your Simmer 6.3 Freestyle sail just does not have the power to get you going on the Phoenix.
At 70 kg. the Futura 133 would be about the best compromise between width and volume, so stay with that idea.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 05:08 AM   #6
joe_windsurfer

i am longboarder gone shortboard
compared to you, i weigh almost 100 kilos and my longboard is not as good a performer as yours.
i use an 8.5 no cam with my longboard and think is a great lake combo
for your weight , an 8.5 should go like a rocket

today i tried a 10-oh on a 160 liter short board - on the lake
when i caught the wind it was great
for me, the lake just has too many wind holes or shadows
makes it difficult to handle a big sail in such conditions
big sail is relative - 10-oh is big 4 me and 8.5 is big for you

so, my 160 is kept for larger bodies of water and the long board for the lake
moral of the story - enjoy :-)
just my 2 cents ..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joe_windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 03:21 AM   #7
jfed

Roger and joe_windsurfer, your recommendations are great. I plan to find an 8.5 or so sail, and also look for deals on a futura. With both off these, I should have zero excuses to have some fun. The only thing left is to probably to change the fin on my F2, since the board 'rails' fairly severely when planning. I bought it with a 38 cm fin, I assume it is too long which may be causing the railing.
thanks again....jfed.
Old 25th July 2010, 09:54 AM   #8
k.lauman

Lakes not all created equally. The surrounding topography will have a great effect on the consistency of the wind. A pond in the Praries could be sailable as long as the land is flat, while a long narrow lake surrounded by trees and hills could be beset by turbulent confused winds.

Wind lulls can definitely be planed through, even "holes" with no perceptible wind. Sheet in and bear away slowly degree by degree and aim for a windy patch. This gets easier in stronger winds, since the gusts and lulls advance faster and your equipment's power/weight ratio becomes more favorable.

With your longboard the Go might be redundant, while the Futura would fit into the beginnings of a high wind quiver and be more portable for trips. If you absolutely want a 100 percent planing board for your lake then choose the Go, but be prepared for much slower sub-planing and lower upwind pointing. On the other hand a wide board of much less volume will seem more stable than a 200 plus liter raceboard and tacking and jibing is quick and foolproof. Wide boards do require larger sails for the same wind strength while providing much better planing efficiency, and the ability to plane upwind.
k.lauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2010, 10:33 AM   #9
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi jfed,
The 38 cm fin on your Phoenix is about right.
If your board is "railing" do you have the centerboard down?
Railing (caused by lift from the centerboard) can be a good thing, if you learn to control it.
But, my memories of the Phoenix I had, lead me to believe that the center board in the Phoenix is not
all that large, so maybe the "railing" is from another cuase.
Does it "rail{" mostly upwind.... or downwind (i.e. which rail goes down, the upwind rail or the downwind rail)?
Most likely, if you are just getting back into the footstraps (all the way back on the Phoenix I hope) the "railing" is due to you placing weight on your front foot (off center, out in the outboard rearmost front
footstrap) before the board has acheived full planing speed.
If the railing is truly due to the fin, then you need to learn to counteract the railing forces with your feet in the footstraps.
If you have the mast foot all the way back in the slot/track then move it forward slightly to put your mast foot pressure a little further forward and lenghten the waterline a little. This will make controlling the fin a bit easier.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote