Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 24th July 2010, 07:35 AM   #1
iaorana

Default Ultimate Light Wind Board Recommendations?

Looking for the ultimate light wind board to plane effortlessly in 7 to 10 knots in flat water bay with Ezzy 8.5 Freeride no cam sail. I am 5'2", 120lbs. Proficient jiber.

Currently sailing Hypersonic 125 with Drake 44cm fin with Ezzy 8.5 and doing fine, but would like to get up on a plane earlier without much pumping and would like to glide through the rulls more. This will be a dedicated lightwind flat water board for blasting and jibing with maximum speed.

I have been recommended iSonic 121 & 131 wood and wood carbon, Futura of simillar sizes and also JP Supersport 135.

For my small physique, narrower strap placement options work the best .

Any suggestions and comments would be greatly appreciated!

Iaorana

My Toys: SB Hypersonic 125, JP Freestyle Wave 84, Ezzy Infinity 7.8, Ezzy Freeride 6.5, 5.5, Ezzy Wave SE 4.7.
iaorana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2010, 11:48 PM   #2
sergio k

Not sure if you'll be able to do 7 knots planning with 8.5 m2 sail, but your best bet Isonic 133
in my opinion, that board is super efficient in light winds with relatively small sails.
Old 28th July 2010, 11:54 PM   #3
sergio k

sorry, I guess this year it's Isonic 131 and you'd would have to pump to achive better planning results.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:47 AM   #4
Unregistered

Do you think with Ezzy 8.5, it won't make much diffenece for me to plane earlier with isonic 131 or with my current hypersonic 125? What size fin would work for me? Thanks!
Old 29th July 2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you think with Ezzy 8.5, it won't make much diffenece for me to plane earlier with isonic 131 or with my current hypersonic 125? What size fin would work for me? Thanks!
Would wood carbon board make a significant difference in early planing in light wind, compared to wood board? Are there any issues with wood carbon boards? My hypersonic is wood and so far I've had pretty good luck with its durability. Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 29th July 2010, 01:12 PM   #6
PG

The German Surf Magazin tested "light wind planing boards" in their latest issue: JP Super Lightwind, *board iSonic 150, Futura 155, Lorch Bird 149 and 179.

The conclusion was that the best board for effortless lightwind planing, in combination with spirited performance, was the Lorch Bird 149 at 74 cm wide and 261 long. The lesser width was compensated by a longer drawn out rocker line (compared to the 238 of the JP, and teh even shorter Starboards).

That is, the bird was more efficient than the JP at 90 cm width, and in particular than the iSonic 150 at 93 cm width! However, the iSonic was faster as it is a pure slalom board rather than an early planing machine (more suitable for those who like to pump).

Thus, weight is important for early planing, but length even more so...

If you still go down the iSonic route I think that you don't need to go any bigger than 121 at your weight.
PG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 10:01 PM   #7
sergio k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hypersonic was not an early planning board, and I-131 ( and last year's i-133) was exceptional in performance and early planning, I would recommend 50-52cm after market fin.
Short/wide board like I-131 will respond better to active sailing style (pumping, riding the fin),
if you don't like it, pick something longer, narrower like Futura or Lorch , I-121 as some other post recommended.
Old 29th July 2010, 11:11 PM   #8
mark h

Hi PG,

If you have the time, would you type the full iS150 review on here?

The toys:
iSW44 - - iSW49 - iSW53 - iSW58 - iS107 - iS137 - F161.
North Warps: F2012 5.2m, 5.7m, 6.3m, 7m, 8m, 8.6m, 9.5m F2006 11m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

mark h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 04:06 AM   #9
John1

Default Futura versus Hypersonic.

I never got friend with the Hypersonic 133 so I now have a Futura 111. I can say that Iīm very impressed about the itīs ligth wind capacity. With my Ezzy freeride 8.0 (yes 8.0), the board is planning in ligther wind than the Hypersonic with the same sail, and in stonger winds itīs of cource much easier to sail.
JJ.
John1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG View Post
The German Surf Magazin tested "light wind planing boards" in their latest issue: JP Super Lightwind, *board iSonic 150, Futura 155, Lorch Bird 149 and 179.

The conclusion was that the best board for effortless lightwind planing, in combination with spirited performance, was the Lorch Bird 149 at 74 cm wide and 261 long. The lesser width was compensated by a longer drawn out rocker line (compared to the 238 of the JP, and teh even shorter Starboards).

That is, the bird was more efficient than the JP at 90 cm width, and in particular than the iSonic 150 at 93 cm width! However, the iSonic was faster as it is a pure slalom board rather than an early planing machine (more suitable for those who like to pump).

Thus, weight is important for early planing, but length even more so...

If you still go down the iSonic route I think that you don't need to go any bigger than 121 at your weight.
Thanks for your information. I was thinking about this valid discussion of length advantage more than weight for light wind sailing too. Do you think Exocet Sting 124 is equaly up to the task in super light wind with 8.5? Your commnets are greatly appreciated!