Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 19th August 2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Scott k14

Default which is the best evo iq

Hi guys

Im ordering some boards and have been advised that the best quad iq is the 82 - if you take sail size and volume out of the equation which new evo is the "magic one" - the 71 or the 76

TA
Old 20th August 2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The 71 is a bit of a different shape compared to the bigger EVO IQs, concave into v and more rocker - a more direct offspring of the old EVO (70) and ET (70, 74), but in a more modern and compact shape. SO even if you could decide a "winner" among the bigger, more similar ones, I don't think you can as easily compare the 71 with the others. It's more "different".

So the question more becomes what you are after. After riding the 71 (in twin mode) only on slow, mushy cross on, I'd say that it's a super easy and stable platform which sort of feels bigger than the 71 liters. Good drive in the slow waves. It goes vert nicely too, but instead of a nervous, edgy looseness it's has a more forgiving nature to it. I'm guessing it's gonna have a HUGE range, by virtue of being so composed I think it will really work well in powered up conditions too, despite feeling a bit big. The 76 has a more "crisp" feel to it. Faster feeling in marginal conditions but also harder in powered up stuff.

So, what it it that you're after?
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Scott k-14

Thanks OLA

While i'm finding the "nervous edgy looseness" sounds very attractive I'm aware that forgiving is probably a great thing especially if the 71 has the ability to get nice and vertical.

I'm also going to have a q-82 so am finding the 71 more attractive - i will only use it when i have lots of power on a 5,2 or smaller so it's gotta be the one - seems to promise decent weight carrying from the width matched to good control.

Thanks
Scott
Old 20th August 2010, 10:43 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

Yeah, I reckon it's gonna be a sick board for a somewhat heavier (aka closer to 80 than to 70) person in windy stuff. If you're gonna have the Q82 too, I think the E76 is gonna be a bit too close anyway. E71+Q82 will in my opinion give you just the right overlap to tune the feel of the ride in a big "mid range" in a very effective way.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote