Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th August 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Sacha Albarda

Default The return of the Evo

With the Quad IQ having evolved into a more advanced shape, we found that it's hull shape no longer supports a single fin setup, since it compared negatively to the previous Quad in single fin setup.

Bringing back the Evo as an Evo IQ, lifting the the single fin setup to the next level as well seemed like the way to go.
Sacha Albarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2010, 04:32 PM   #2
GURGLETROUSERS

That 'taking things to the next level' cliche! Isn't that what every new board does?

If year on year you keep 'evolving' the shape of the Evo you may eventually end back where you started, because it works. Perhaps I should just wait, and not upgrade my original 74 after all!
GURGLETROUSERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 12:39 AM   #3
Ola_H
TEAM

YEah, som exciting statement, right! But are there some question? I'm eager to discuss the birth, life, death and resurrection of the EVO.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 02:56 AM   #4
GURGLETROUSERS

I don't doubt that the original Evo 74 can be improved upon Ola. Some the later models did so, but some did not, and were roundly critisized.

It's easy to forget that one of the great features of the original 74 was its comparitive ease of use over the older trad wave boards. All the tests at the time emphasised this point, which allowed us ordinary wave sailors to up our game. It rightly set a trend, and was a success.

Doesn't the same hold true today. Isn't the Evos market to help ease improving windsurfers into the wave environment, just as it did in the past? Making it more extreme and giving it a silly name seems to me to be missing the point of the concept!

Give aspiring wave riders a good basic accessible proven board, and let them provide the I.Q.
Old 15th August 2010, 02:06 AM   #5
Ola_H
TEAM

Sorry if I permit myself to "stretch out" a bit on this issue, but here goes my take on the subject.

The original EVOs were indeed awesome and a big hit right off the mark, particularly the 74. I even heard that what became the original EVO 74 was one of the first, or even the first, proto made. And like you say, the EVOs really did provide something new to the wave board market when it comes to making wave tiding accessible. It was not only the width and compactness and general easy of turning, but also _how_ they reacted in a turn, basically making the hardest part of the turn (when you go into the second phase of the bottom turn and want to go back towards the wave, preferably to hit the lip) much easier, almost like the board was on autopilot. And I would say the original EVO 74 was the king of this. I often sit and witch at various "real world" breaks, watch many "real world" video clips etc and EVERY time it strikes me that more than half the people would sail twice as good on an EVO (even if some of them would hate the feel). It's just remarkable how many wave sailors that seemingly do everything right, but yet don't get it together and manage to get back to the wave and hit the lip. In many, many cases, I'm 100% sure a board like the original EVO would instantly help.

But you have to remember that even from the beginning, EVOs were not only marketed as "beginners wave boards" for onshore much, but as all round wave boards for all sorts of conditions and riders. For the more performance oriented wave sailing it provided a new style that not all liked but that some people loved. And another thing to remember is that the EVOs were criticized by some for feeling to slow and "inexact". After the first wave of more or less quick and dirty EVO copies from other brands, the market segment got a bit more diverse and many brands opted to go for faster and crisper feeling boards with almost the same level of "bad conditions performance" but with sacrifices in all round prowess.

With the XTV in 07 the EVOs took a step further towards the all round wave board, where all models got noticeably better in faster riding and in most cases the "bad wave performance" was hurt very little, if anything. The exception was the 75 which in its first XTV iteration went to far towards the control end of the spectrum so light wind and planing performance got hurt. But even this model was improved in 2008 by some adjustments to rocker and rails. Worth to note is also that in the last incarnations of the EVO xtv, rockers on the bigger boards (75+) got a bit faster in an effort to find a better (or at least differnt) compromise between get up and go, "crispness", upwind, speed on one hand and good turning qualities on the other hand.

I would say that in 09 before the EVO XTVs were put to sleep, they were really excellent all round wave boards with a clear twist towards performing in not so perfect conditions.

But despite the excellent looseness and turning qualities of the XTVs, when you stepped on one after having used some of the twin fin boards that appeared on 09 they clearly felt a bit dull. And even though twin fins were in the beginning perceived as "elite" boards for good quality waves, in practice they were often big successes for making shitty (and good) conditions feel more fun to intermediate wave sailors. I would still say though, that the "autopilot character" of EVOs was still better than on most twin boards, but since the latter was so loose overall they still for many people _felt_ like they helped the sailing more than a board like the EVO. This and the fact that EVOs never competed in the speed/upwind/crispness sector either (ie they were far, far, from fsw boards) as well as the novelty factor of twin fin boards, led to that the space where EVOs previously ruled was sort of filled out by other boards.

So in 2010, all effort were put into the Quads which offered upwind and planing performance much better than the EVOs and also in must situations a much more exciting wave riding experience. The shapes were developed from the ETs (except the smaller ones) which some felt were to slow in 2009 so speed and a "grippy feel" was a high priority. Early on in the quad development it was found that these boards worked well also as single fins (and as thrusters btw) and I suppose that somewhere along the line it was decided that these boards would pretty much outperform the EVOs across the board so the EVOs went. There was still a lot of the "autopilot" feel built into these shapes, maybe not as much as in the original EVO 74, but still a lot. In quad mode this gets slightly overshadowed by the fin drive, but some of it is there in single fin mode.

So with these shapes in the bag and with the next generation quads drifting a tiny bit more towards "performance sailing" a space was once again open for a new EVO. Essentially, the '10 quad shapes in s single/twin convertible version (made possible by the light slot box) became the new EVO IQ. I would truly say these ARE the modern version of the original idea from 03. Some of the plug and play aspect is lost by the double fin system, but for those who are prepared to change some fins once in a while, the new boards even covers a wider spectrum of sailor expectations and performance as well as a wider spectrum of conditions. The board are inherently faster than the older EVOs, but the main ideas with a straight mid outline for drive in longer turns and a curvy rear ("hip") for back foot turning and going vert are still there. IN single fin mode, the sailor get the fast and almost fsw like board the original EVO never was but with more than decent turning. Like a sharper version of the original EVO. And in twin fin mode, you get a combination of the "autopilot" stuff and drivey outline in the middle and the looseness of a twin fin. The number one qualities are then super easy and quick turn initiation (Twin), ease of keeping a rail in a longer turn (straight mid outline), ease of turning back towards the wave (outline hip) but now also fast and effective straight line sailing (for a twin, and again, in single fin mode better than most). So if you ask me, the new boards in every sense earns the EVO name and even encompasses more all round qualities, both for intermediates and experts, than the original did.

Last edited by Ola_H; 15th August 2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old 15th August 2010, 04:08 AM   #6
GURGLETROUSERS

Thanks for the detailed reply Ola, which needs consideration.

My problem now is age, so I'm unlikely to want a more radical board to replace my original 74, which is now a bit battered. The new one, along with others, will be one of my must tries.

Once again thanks. I'm sure many others also will appreciate your analysis.
Old 15th August 2010, 06:43 AM   #7
Ola_H
TEAM

Thanks. To add a bit of EVO 74 nostalgia, check this little clip from early summer 2003. It's one of my first days out on the EVO, and it was probably one of the first EVOs "out in the wild" as I got and early copy from the production run and had it flown to Europe. It was a bit of love at first site as I had waited for such a board for years (and even had some self designed customs not that far from it).

Anyway, I bring up this old clip sometimes because I think it's a good illustration of how the board pivots back towards the wave and also how it floats over white water in very controlled way.

http://ncm.gu.se/media/users/ola/wave-snap3.mov
Old 25th August 2010, 09:19 AM   #8
aa25

I noticed Koster was ripping on the EvoIQ in pozo. It appeared really smooth and his style makes it all look so easy. I'm interested why he used this over the quad!? Would you say the EvoIQ offers a bit control and forgiveness in the high wind cross-onshore conditions, where for some the strong drive of the quad can bit a bit much? I'm deciding between the quad and EvoIQ, but getting increasingly tempted to get the EvoIQ. I'm 74kg and rode the 2010 quad71 wood convertible, which was great down the line but for me a little too drivey in strong cross-onshore conditions. Actually I was impressed by it in thruster setup, particularly for jumping, but thinking I'd now prefer the softer looser feel of the EvoIQ.
aa25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 10:46 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

I sailed with a friend of min who is in my opinion one the the best wave riders in Sweden yesterday. He was using his quad (from another brand) as a twin. For some sailors a twin fin is just hard to beat. I don't know Philips sailing so well, but I suppose it's as simple as that he likes twin fins better and that the EVO shape works better for him than the Quad shape. The EVO IQ is in fact a really drivey shape though. SO as far as twin fins go, you can definitely still put some rail in and get some acceleration out.

If you comparing the EVO IQ 71 and 2010 Quad 71 (which is in fact the old EVO 70 shape) my initial feel after only sailing the IQ 71 one time is that the EVO IQ 71 feels a little bit bigger. The new IQ 71 is super stable and easy though. And I think it will still be awesome in lots of wind and work really well in onshore too. But I got to get more time on it to give a serious comparison.
Old 27th August 2010, 06:27 PM   #10
Greenroom

Hey Ola. I know you said you only used the Evo IQ 71 once but why does it feel bigger than the 2010 Quad 71?
Greenroom is offline   Reply With Quote