Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 12th January 2007, 05:10 PM   #11

Default RE: Changing footstrap settings for the day

Well, just for the records, I believe that most sailor don't change the straps position ever. I include myself in that group once I find the best option. However recently I did it to be able to get some sailing on my iS105 and 4.5 sail in 25+ knots (I'm 67Kg) in heavy chop.
Changing the straps to all the way forward allowed me much more control over the board. Even if it was clearly the case of a much smaller board which I do not have, still it allowed me to have good fun.
So definetely changing the straps position is something to consider at times.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 12:26 AM   #12
Per

Well, to me the "which strap setting should I use today" question is as common as which sail to use for the given conditions.
I sail an Aero 127 (crossover board) and S-type 115 (do anything excellent board) and switch the straps almost every time I go out depending on whether I'm in loose jump an slashing mode og fast freeride mode. The possibility to do so is as importans to me as the possibility to have several sails or fin options.
Only thing that pisses me off is that it's actually quite a hazzle to change the straps as finding the screw and loosening it is quite difficult. Starboard had made a litte starp over the screw to make this easier but it worked against the process and so I cut it off with a knife.
It's not rocket science to make easy switchable straps.
I know the system Fanatic had in the '90ties. It was fast, but not solid and it wore out too quick.B)
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 01:26 AM   #13
James

I agree 100% with Russell, Arno13, and Foolonhill.

We DO adjust footstrap positions, and we would do it a lot more if it weren't such a PAIN in the butt. I wish they would bring back machine screws for footstraps so the inserts wouldn't wear out. Also, hand-turned screws and infallible anti-twist devices would be good. Shame on those who un-invented these conveniences.

Some reasons I often need to change footstrap positions-
1. Need early planing and upwind pointing ability with big sail and big fin = move straps outboard
2. Letting your girlfriend use your board = move straps inboard and forward
3. Switching from freeride to racing = move straps outboard.
4. Using a small fin because of high winds = move straps inboard and maybe wider
5. Have to use a weedfin = move footstraps inboard because board won't rail
6. Want to jump or do freestyle or wave riding = move straps inboard
7. Switching from high-foot wave / freestyle sail to low-foot freeride or race sail = move footstraps outboard.

Real world sailors often have only one board for a huge range of conditions, and real world conditions change all the time. That's why gear that can be tuned quickly and easily is a must.

Starboard sells a lot of boards that boast range and crossover abilities- Carve, S-type, Kombat, the bigger Isonics, GO, START, etc. But much of the crossover appeal is lost when it takes 30 minutes fumbling and cursing on the beach to change the fin and move 4 footstraps.
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 02:05 AM   #14
Per

Hi James..
Spot on... Imagine you needed 15 minutes with a tool every time you wanted to switch gear on your bicycle ....B)
Cross over boards should be a lot easier to CROSS OVER
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 06:59 AM   #15
Philip

Have experimented with strap positions on HS 111 across a range of conditions. Concluded that strap setting is part of the tune mix especially on a board that carries such a range of sail and fin. Would set them daily to conditions if were that feasible. Have settled on a position that trades off speed versus gybing for an average of (variable) conditions - but then I am not a plug and play type.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 07:09 AM   #16
GEM

I thought so.

Some hard-core people do it and live with the inserts degrading and even needing replacement; most people mount 'em and leave 'em, and on a given day live with a sub-optimal setup.

I confess that I don't move my straps, but not because it doesn't occur to me or because I don't have the time or don't know what I'd like, but ONLY because it's such a pain in the arse. The whole idea of one-only boards is a joke, because to be a true one-only board you HAVE TO change the straps. Just like you move the mast base, boom height, harness lines, and outhaul.

Last fall I took out my smallest board (OK, it's a Naish), and I don't know what possessed me because I moved my straps forward (they were all the way back). This has always been a phenomenal jumper, with most people wondering how to get so high and I mainly use it for jumping, but on this day I came up to the first lip and popped it up...my instantaneous reaction was, 'Oh my G*d, I didn't know this board could jump like this!!' Lesson - you gotta experiment with the footstraps.

OK, *B, you know most of us are mightily impressed by your World Championship performance, but what we really care about is our own performance. Clearly, the industry needs some progress in foot strap ease of use, and the company that figures it out will have a competitive advantage. Hint - crossover boards would be the place to start.
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 08:41 AM   #17
steveC

Well Ian, I knew that many would support the concept of changing footstraps, as I have been in similar threads like this before. It's kind of like politics, where folks' opinions align with their idea of what's right or appropriate. A lot of different factors affect feelings and opinions, and I guess that's to be expected. Also, I'm sure that unforeseen changes can sometimes offer interesting outcomes, as you so aptly noted. Even though I hold to my earlier positions as identified above, it's good to hear others voice their thoughts and concerns. The one thing that appears more universal is that many folks wish that the footstrap change process was either quicker and/or more durable overall.

Surprisingly, not as much support for two position attachment per footstrap side. A very important issue in my mind, but I appear to be taking an unusual stance here. Today, a friend got out of the water, and I noted that footstraps on his S-Type 115 where skewed in tweaked ways that would have drove me nuts. I made no mention of the issue, but it's interesting that many folks are so accepting in nature. You know, a bit more mellow overall.

In any case, a good discussion point. I'm glad that Geoff started things off.
steveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 11:23 AM   #18
GEM

I'm not sure I understand steveC correctly, but as I re-read his posts I think that by "two attachments per side" he means two screws on each end of the footstrap. In other words, he doesn't like single-screw footstraps (correct me if I'm wrong).

I concur.

In fact, on my Berky (now semi-retired), I bought plugs, drilled out the deck, and glassed in extra screw plugs so as to have two screws on each end of the footstrap. That is what it takes to be really secure. KevinP might need the lightness of single screws, but I will pay a small penalty in exchange for reliability.

I agree with steveC.

But give me easy adjustability first!!!!
GEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 05:01 PM   #19

Fanatic and Bic both had "easier" footstrap anchors. Bic's corroded, they were miniture mast tracks. Fanatics were better, turnkey pins, but eventualy they broke, and were a bit rough to step on or jam into. It would have been nice to see improvements on these ideas, but we, as a sport, need a critical mass of $$ like we once had....

:~) have a good sail, and get some friends to join the addiction.

John I
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 10:39 PM   #20
mike

This is a great dicussion thread. I'm the happy owner of a Kombat. In summer I've set the straps outboard, in winter, inboard. In the last year, this has meet the majority of conditions for each season. There may be a bit of swtiching back & forth in "season transitions".

Is what limits my switching more often is concern of screw failure. I brought this up in the forum previously & was suggested use soap on the screws when switching. Nonetheless, I still try to limit the changes.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote