Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 11th January 2007, 02:11 PM   #1
Adrian B

Default iSonic or Stype ?

Hi
I???m looking at upgrading my 2005 Sonic 110 to either the isonic 111, 122 or the Stype 126. I weigh 72 kg and plan to use 8.5 and 7.0 sq m sails (sometimes a 6.0) with the board. I usually sail in the ocean (east coast Australia) so the water is generally rough onshore and I enjoy sailing upwind for a mile or so and then sailing back downwind with the ocean swells. A board that is fast, goes well upwind but can handle rough conditions is a must. Which board would you recommend for this type of sailing & my weight etc. I like the sonic 110 and it handles the conditions very well but I understand that the newer isonics have a lower rocker ??? will this be a problem?. Does the Stype go upwind well? This board would obviously be better for jumping over swells but I don???t want to be limited with early planning . I was leaning towards a bit more volume (120 litres) so that I could get more time planning in light winds (12-14kts) but I am also concerned about going for a board 75 cm wide in the rough conditions. I have three other boards so when it gets up to 17-18 kts I change down to a 95 litre freeride or 85 litre wave board. Unfortunately in my area the board shops do not have demo boards so it is very difficult to try before you buy. Your advice would be most appreciated.
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 02:43 AM   #2
Taty Frans
Dream Team NB-9

Default RE: iSonic or Stype ?

Adrian,

I weight about the same as you.

I will go for the Isonic 122 to go with your 8.5 sails

When the you can use the sonic 110 with the 7.0

Taty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taty Frans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2007, 07:36 AM   #3
Adrian B

Thanks Taty
I had planned on trading my Sonic 110 in on the new board. Currently I use my 7.0 sq m sail twice as often as my 8.5 sq m. Do you still see the isonic 122 as the best board for both sails?
thanks Adrian
Adrian B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2007, 10:27 PM   #4
Doby

I??m 90 kg and sail in a fresh water lake. I use the Isonic 115 with an Daytona 8.3 and start planing in 12 knots. If I were you I would go for the Isonic 111. It really goes well with a 7.0 as well!
Doby is offline   Reply With Quote