Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 27th August 2010, 12:07 AM   #1
van

Default Evo 71 or Quad 74

Hi guys,

I am about to change my jp fsw 77 and I need your help in what to get. I'm 68 kg and been windsurfing for 25 yrs. I will use the board only in eurostyle onshore mushy conditions and will mostly use 4.7 - 4.2 NP combats but would like to be able to put a 5.3 and go down to 3.7 when it gets ballistic. These days with quads vs single fins it has got a bit confusing in which way to go. To be honest I would have gone for the Evo 71 hands down as I'm a bit old school but what can I gain from a quad. Finally why is the Evo so short compared to every other board on the market. Does it's length affect its upwind ability which is a must where I sail. Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Van
van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I have only a few sessions on the E71IQ (only in twin mode) and Q74 so far, but I'd say that there is much more than fin config that differs. The E71 is very stable, easy and forgiving, takes a bit more care to go upwind (in twin mode) and feels a bit slower in underpowered conditions but my impression is that it will be super calm and controlled in ballistic stuff relative its volume/width. Even in bumpy waves it is very easy to keep the E71 stable on its rails when bottom turning. The Quad 74 is in fact very easy to ride to, but in a more lively way and the more active the sailor is driving the board the better it will carve. The quad config (both big fin in front and big fin in the back) really makes upwind work more effective. And particularly with the big fins in the back it is very lively and loose in the wave riding.

Both boards will take a 5.3. Ballistic 3.7 at 68 kilos might be a challenge for both of them, but I think the E71 would have an edge here.

The length of the E71 is nothing to worry about. It's just a natural effect of boards becoming a bit rounder in the outline. In fact, the rocker line of the E71 is a bit straighter under the mast foot area than the Q74, so from just that perspective there is no problem with the shorter length. Bu the Q74 still goes upwind even better.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2010, 09:04 PM   #3
peterQ

I have a relevant question.

can I use the EvoIQ in Eurowave conditions, onshore, waves up to 1.5 meters, or in big choppy conditions where you can find a breaking wave to do some cross Onshore wave ridding?

I wanted to buy a FSW board around 85 lit.(58 cm wide) or a twinfin around 87-90 lits (with similar width as the FSW) and use it with 5.0 or 5,4 sails.
If EVO is a good choice for these conditions which of them will be better to buy? the 81 or 86 lits for these sails?
I am 72 kilos, quite advanced sailor.

Last edited by peterQ; 12th September 2010 at 09:08 PM.
peterQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I'd say the 81 is easily the best for what you describe. You're still looking at a rather wide boards that will float you much better than the volume suggests. At your weight and with 5.4 max, the 86 will only feel heavier and more cumbersome and not plane earlier.

(In fact, if it was me (also 72) I'd even consider the 76 but the 81 gives you a bit better "glide" and carries a 5.4 a little bit better too.)
Old 13th September 2010, 01:25 PM   #5
peterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
I'd say the 81 is easily the best for what you describe. You're still looking at a rather wide boards that will float you much better than the volume suggests. At your weight and with 5.4 max, the 86 will only feel heavier and more cumbersome and not plane earlier.

(In fact, if it was me (also 72) I'd even consider the 76 but the 81 gives you a bit better "glide" and carries a 5.4 a little bit better too.)
thanks Ola_H for your early reply and generally for your contribution to this board.
Your last year's advice about the Quad was very helpful to me too.

One question about the highlighted text above.
Do you mean that the 81 EvoIQ due to its width (58 cm), no matter its relative smaller volume, will plane like a 85 lit FSW (58-59 cm wide) board?

I worry about planing in those choppy days with gusty winds around 16 knots with gusts reaching 18+ knots where a Eurowave board 85 lits will plane fine but it will be less "competent" in cross on shore ridding.

And what size would you suggest for the two smaller fins? with 5.0 or 5.4 sails?
17cm??

Last edited by peterQ; 13th September 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 13th September 2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

The EVO IQ has a pretty fast and effective rocker and is an early planer, but not quite as early as an FSW. But this will not change if you go for a slightly bigger one board. Once you reach a certain board size, going bigger will not help (unless you also go for bigger sails). The curvier the board, the more noticeable this is. But particularly with a single fin I still think you will not be disappointed with the planing performance of the E81.

At your weight for 5.0 and 4.4 I think you can choose something around 16cm (assuming it's a "standard style" twin ala MFC. The MFC LS will fx be a good match, I reckon.
Old 13th September 2010, 04:38 PM   #7
peterQ

I intend to use the EVOiQ 81 with 5.0 or 5.4 sail only, not a 4.4 sail. For smaller than 5.0 sails I use an other board.

You know, I like this single/twin fin concept a lot, it excites my imagination, but I am still not sure where I could use the Twinfin configuration.
I was hoping to use the single fin in small chop or small waves with a relative small wave length where riding is not possible and use the twin fin configuration with bigger chop and some relative small breaking waves, say 1 meter, where you can turn around and do cross on shore wave riding.

One of my worries is if the twin fin configuration planes as easy as the single one and if it has the same upwind performance provided I will use a slightly different technique as it is required by the twinfin boards.
Of course the twinfin will be used with smaller sail, say 5.0, which means stronger wind whereas the single fin will be used with 5.4 sail.
I need to cover a very specific wind range where even a small wind difference can provide different wave conditions too.

Ola_H, I hope you could give me some more tips.

Last edited by peterQ; 13th September 2010 at 05:36 PM.
Old 13th September 2010, 05:08 PM   #8
peterQ

I guess for the 5.4 sail I will need something bigger than 16 cm twin fins, correct?

Last edited by peterQ; 13th September 2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 13th September 2010, 06:51 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

It depends a little on conditions and expectations. But for effortless sailing along without having to pay too much attention to easing the board up to speed: yes, 17 will be better. Or some really powerful shorter fins (The Drake Twin 16 is for example in practive much more powerful than any 17cm twin fin on the market). The best B&J twin fin might be the MUF x-twins as long as they are chosen fairly big (17.5 for 5.4, I reckon, 16.5 for all round sailing).
Old 13th September 2010, 06:57 PM   #10
Ola_H
TEAM

Now I saw the post above too: Yeah, there are some slight technique adjustments to get the most out of the different concepts. Not much though. And with some practice and slightly bigger fins you can go very effectively upwind and plane early with twin fins too. I reckon that the abilty to go between twin and single will work very well for exactly what you describe. Enjoy the "clean power" of a single fin and blast around effortlessly some days and go for the twin setup and enjoy the extra looseness which makes turning in small onshore waves so fun some other days.