Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 14th October 2010, 03:33 AM   #1
Unregistered

Exclamation 2009 EVO 90 WC good or bad choice?

Hey,

I am 80kg and sail in mostly cross on conditions with sails from 4.2-6.3. I have a 2009 EVO 80 and 2009 Flare 98. I am considering a 90litre evo for lighter wind wave sailing when it is not windy enough for my 80litre. Will this be much better than my flare for light wind sailing? Also will it be as good as a twin or quad in these coditions? Any experience or opinions welcome.
Old 14th October 2010, 07:59 PM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

The Flare will planer earlier and be faster, but once you want to do any kind of turning on the wave, the EVO 90 will be something completely different and much, much better. The EVO 90 is a true light wind wave riding ace and even though there is not much "extra volume" in it relative to your body weight it will still be an awesome light wind wave board for you.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Unregistered

Hi Ola,

Thanks for the reply, So do you think it will be worth a place in my quiver, it has to be worth it for the money. Is it possible to get some other feedback from team riders? I know Timo won the tiree wave classic on this board. Also can you explain the positives and negatives of a single or twin/quad in this size please.

Thanks,
Lewis
Old 17th October 2010, 04:00 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

If you get some light wind wave sailing where the EVO 80 is not enough, the EVO 90 is DEFINITELY worth the money. 10 liters may not sound like much, but in this (for you) critical range it will make a huge difference.

The EVO 90 will feel like a bigger brother to the EVO 80, but in fact a bit turnier relative its size. Very loose for a single fin board. Comparing to twin and quads is difficult in general since they different interpretations of those themes are very different. But genarelly it will be a bit easier to get a multifin board on its rails. And particularly a twin will "redirect" very easily in the middle of the turn and generally be very easy to sail. Some (most) twin boards need to be chosen a bit bigger, so a comparable size tot he EVO 90 would be closer to 100l. Most twin designs seems to need a bit more width to generate as much drive. This goes for some quads too, particularly ones with narrow tails and lots of dome deck and very small front fins. An advantage of quads is that with a bit bigger front fins you get a good sense of drive, ie you can easily generate and keep speed to go around sections even better than with a single but still have much of that extra looseness. And on the Starboard quads you can also tune to feel between a more tracky drivey one (big fins forward) and a more loose twin like one (big fins back).So you get a bit more range out of the same board.

In my mind, there is no doubt that quad boards offer something extra, particularly with the extra tunability offered from being able to switch the fins.But that sail, the EVO 90 is already a very loose board and a light wind classic. If you're happy with your E80 and can get the E90 at a good price, I'm sure you will love it.

I'll see if I can get Timo to respond too.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote