Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 9th November 2010, 11:10 PM   #11
amateur

Thanks Roger, but why there is no Glide in the Severne 2011 sails line? Maybe the sail Raceboard is the replacement of the Glide? About Retro. My Retro (2006) I think is the strong sail for the strong man and wind 15-20 knots with the another board of course. I have used this sail successfully with JP 130. But it is realy heavy then for example NP Hellcut.
amateur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 02:44 AM   #12
nakaniko

Interesting thing. All I've read about sails is about planing, but now that is about gliding? So I've read that cam sails are more stable but camless are more easy planing than the others. But under planing? So with a small breath of breeze has more push a camless HSM Stealth like mine ore is better to have an heavier full camber sail that remain more stable in the shape? I mean except for the Glide, made for the Serenity-
But if the philosophy of the board is as told on website a plug-and-play toy, does make sense a slow rigging and more critical slalom or race sail?
Too question and no answer on the water, I can't wait to ride it until next spring!

p.s.: little last question for Roger: found on the web a smaller tail fin 10 cm, seaweed or almost wave curved, really is a twinzer 10 cm long but I think 10 cm deep (not so easy to find tiny us raked fin), seems almost the same depht of the provided square 13,5 tail fin even if not same surface. Sounds good?
nakaniko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 07:31 AM   #13
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi nakaniko,
The Serenitys I had did not have any provision for a rear fin, so I'm not sure what to tell you
about the tiny swept back fin.
I found that if you "railed" the Serenity, put the mast foot well forward to get the bow/nose to "bite"
there was no issue going upwind at all.
Even with very small weed fins and very small sails.
I talked to Jim Drake (the designer of the Serenity) about Serenity tuning, and that was his suggestion.
I used weed fins in the 32-42 cm range as well as vertical race/slalom fins in the 52-60 cm range and
the board was fast in very light winds.
Even sailed it in 25 knots (in a small smooth water bay) with a 4.2 m2 Sailworks Hucker.
I was going almost as fast as the 90-110 liter boards, but if you try this you will learn that the
Serenity does have a maximum speed.
When you get going so fast that the bow wave moves back under the mast foot, and the tail
gets far enough below the surface that the stern wave closes over the rear tip of the board,
you will discover that the Serenity has a different personality (not so serene).
I would try the board without any rear fin and then try the rear fin as see what it does for you.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 03:45 PM   #14
amateur

I used Serenity with and without rear fin. It is useful in the down wind course, the board became some stable. On the another courses the rear fin not affected appreciably.
Old 10th November 2010, 07:50 PM   #15
nakaniko

Wow. The lionheart of the Serenity in strong winds. Thanks all. I'm already dreaming of long sailing trips all around the lagoon.
I think I'll try the cheap 10 cm tiny fin, let's see if forum system now leave me to write the link:

I hope for something more warmer for the next S. Martin Summer (=indian summer) for the Serenity's debut, last chance before winter, let's see.
Meanwhile here it is my giant baby in the storage room of my parent's house, not so far from being in the water as the floor is about 1,2 metres over average sea (lagoon) level and subject to high tides as you can see from permanently raised refrigerator on the left (board safely stored over two wardrobe cabinets)...
Old 10th November 2010, 09:20 PM   #16
nakaniko

Another Serenity video (not so easy to be found on the web) just to increase the riding desire:
http://www.broadbandsports.com/node/16867
Little too much video mixer use, but nice images and nice music, better fullscreen and turn up the volume. What a guy the windsurfer, and almost at the end is he riding a wave with the Serenity?

Last edited by nakaniko; 10th November 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 06:01 PM   #17
nakaniko

Tuttle-Deep Tuttle problem
I've ordered a DT 40 deep (56 max lenght) weed fin, honestly the cheaper I've found.
Instead of the one ordered with deep tuttle head the german shop has sent me the one with tuttle head!
So: for this lenght are there problems/risks for the fin box of Serenity using a tuttle instead a deeptuttle one?
(real photo soon - meanwhile this is the photo of fin with other head but with this strange change of rake like mine)

Last edited by nakaniko; 15th November 2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 15th November 2010, 09:50 PM   #18
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Nakaniko,
This looks like a very nice fin.
I do not see any issue with using this in the Serenity as the fin box is really solid and with the long fin
screws/bolts there wound not seem to be any issue with breaking the fin box out of the board.
I believe the fin box goes all the way through the board is is attached at both the bottom and the deck,
making it very resistant to shear loads.
The "funny" angle on this fin is "progressive rake" and is really a good thing rather than a problem.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2010, 01:15 AM   #19
amateur

Maybe there is a power box on the picture with one screw? Tuttle and Deep Tuttle has a two screws.
Old 16th November 2010, 03:27 AM   #20
nakaniko

Yes this is a sample, the same fin with a powerbox head
Mine has tuttle head, but unfortunately not deep tuttle as I've ordered

Here it is mine fin, on the (horrible) floor of my office.
Meanwhile I have to thank again Roger, so I can trust also in this tuttle fin, with some more question (technical, I hope interesting for the forum readers)
I was worried also because I've found some old thread about it on this forum and the border between the maximun size that a normal tuttle is suggested seems to be around 55 cm, not talking about seaweed fins. Here it is: http://www.star-board.com/forum/show...+tuttle+lenght
So a 56 long seems to be at the limit, but yes the Serenity is way thicker and the very long fin screws witnesses that is a rock solid fin box. Therefore the side pressure of a planing board is far more than the one on a Serenity, I suppose (and I tested by myself that even on a planing board the side pressure of a weed fin is less than a straight fin).
I suppose...
So my last concern is not about the possibility of a sudden breackage of the whole fin box from the board, but about side pressure over a smaller piece of finbox sidewall in a TU than a DT that can slowly enlarge the lower part of the box, even finally breaking the "mouth" of the box.
And finally it depends how the finbox is made. I still own and use outside Venice a custom (Trevisiol) flapper board, couriously made with a powerbox finbox but pheraphs the strongest ever made, that with the lower winds I always use with a 66 cm straight fin from Rainbow without any kind of problem

Last edited by nakaniko; 16th November 2010 at 03:30 AM.