Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 13th August 2010, 10:55 PM   #1
RobW

Default Quad 2011

Hi, Im glad to see the new fin set up for the 2011 Quads. I have a 2010 Quad 81L. There are some really good characteristics the board that I like a lot, like the speed it generates on the wave and the control it has even though it has over 0,5 m of fin in total. The downside is the looseness and that its some times refuses to turn when pushed hard and isnt very willing to do fast snappy turns around the back foot. I still need to try smaller fins, 13 cm, in front and see if it helps. Do you got a solution how to get the larger fins back on the board like in the 2011 models on the 2010 Quad, or do you think this could work on the 2010 model? I guess 13 cm back and 11-12 cm in front could be interesting, but are there available 13 cm back fins and are the boxes strong enough?

Im planning on getting a smaller Quad (have now a smaller Kode) to company the Quad 81L 2010, but the 74 L 2011 is almost as wide as the 2010 81L. Im 80 kg and 180 cm and sail mostly in Denmark and already the 81L feels to my taste pretty big, and I prefer not to use it with smaller sail than 4,7m2. 57 cm sounds quite wide for a 74 liter board, is there a reason why the smaller quads are so wide? What is the width of the 2011 69L Quad? I wouldn't like to get a board to close to the 81L I have so I guess I would need to get the 69L...

Thanks in advance for your answer!
Old 14th August 2010, 01:37 AM   #2
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm not sure how well that would work with the surfin boxes, so I'd be a bit hesitant to go far past 12cm, particularly if you at the same time put more load on the rear fins by making the front fins smaller. In any case I would try the 13 front fins (with 11 in the back) to see. That will already be quite a bit of difference relative the 16 front fins.

Smaller 2011: I'm yet to get on the 74, so I don't know so much. 57 cm sound A LOT, but remember the EVO 75 was already 56, as was the ET 74. Both those have a more parallel outline (which also goes for you q81). You can think of this as a wider board with the widest mid part shaved off. So on practice my GUESS is that the 2011 Q74 will not really feel bigger than E75, ET74 and previous generation boards in this size. But I can tell you more after sailing it. Just need wind...

The Q69 is 53.8, so quite a bit smaller and a more extreme board overall, I'd say. Ultra quick and epic for wave riding for lighter sailors, but I'm not sure how it will handle a bigger guy. Need to get some heavyweight on mine. Again though... wind. Might have to go to Demmark to find some.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2010, 02:47 AM   #3
RobW

Thanks for a quick reply!

OK I need to try the 13 cm on the Q81, and report back here how it works.

Regarding the shape of the new Q74, I had a bit the same thoughts about the new shape as you wrote. It would be great to try the 74L before deciding what to get... I have the Kode 80L that is 56cm wide and its much better full powered on 4.0 than the Q81L. Its superb for jumping but still miss that drive on the wave that I get from the Quad. Just looking at the pics the new 2011 Quad the shape looks more Kode like than the 2010, if you know what I mean. So perhaps it would be small enough...?

I had the EVO 75L but newer really liked that board. It was so wide in the tail that it didnt really feel comfortable in choppy conditions. On the wave (if the wave was smooth) it was really nice.
Old 14th August 2010, 04:01 AM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

RIght. The EVO 75 was still almost a centimeter wider in the tail than the Q74 is.
Old 26th August 2010, 03:24 PM   #5
Unregistered

Hi again Ola,

Have you got the opportunity to test the 74L Q2011 yet? The last two days have been super good in DK with full to over powered 3,7 winds and nice waves. Sailed the Kode 80 and for my taste its too big, its 56 cm wide, and I would like something smaller. It would be interesting to hear if you really think the 74cm Q has better control even though its 1 cm wider. There is a quite large gap between the 74L and 69L quads if you consider width, any plans to fill in the gap with one quad that would be around 55 cm wide?
Old 26th August 2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Ola_H
TEAM

Hi.

Yes. Almost a bit too much wind, I'd say. Next time, can we have it distributed over a few more days instead, please...

But I didn't sail the Q74, I was on the Q69 + a smaller proto board I'm that will hopefully lead up to something exciting. The 69 is sick on the wave, but not the smoothest in a straightline, despite being quite narrow. A friend sailed my Q82 though and was quite happy with it despite super powered up 4.0 (for him at 85 kilos or so). Maybe the 74 will work better than the width indicates. When I sailed the 74 in powered up 5.0 is didn't feel wide at all. But I have to try it in some more wind to really tell. Next time...

I don't know the plans for the future, but logically an even smaller board in the program (for some of the really light team riders) would maybe make it smarter to let the 69 become a tad bigger. But then again it's sort of a tradition with Starboard to not let the ruler decide the shape but rather let each size sort of develop in its own right, regardless if it ends up not fitting some particular pattern as far as widths etc go.
Old 27th August 2010, 09:14 PM   #7
RobW

Talking

We should get this kind of wind every week then you wouldnt have to think about going to pozo... Were in SWE did you sail?

Its hard to decide what to get. It would be great to try the new boards sometimes. Im still leaning towards the 69L at the moment as I dont like to sail too large boards... but have to wait and see if I could at least see a board live some time before deciding.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:28 PM   #8
Ola_H
TEAM

I sailed at my "local" spot somewhere between Göteborg and Varberg...

The 69 is more of a riding board than a board made for control in blown out conditions. Still rode it for the most of tuesdays 4.0 and 3.5 sessions though and once on the wave it's very good. The 69 has quite thick rails to despite quite short length hold up for a sailor pushing the front rails. So maybe it will handle a bigger guy quite well. Interestingly, I don't think the large amounts of rocker hurt the early planing noticeably.

Maybe some of the Starboard riders bring one to the Klitmöller WC event so you can have a look.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

Another thing: The EVO 71 IQ might be another board to consider. A bit "in between" in the width and still really nice and compact which helps in windy stuff. I reckon this will be a very good small board for a heavier rider with a softer feeling to it compared to the Q74 and it also has this really stable feel when you put it on its rail on a long turn. My prediction (After only sailing it in lighter winds) is that it will take really well to being seriously pinned down by sail (over) power.

Last edited by Ola_H; 27th August 2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 5th October 2010, 03:20 AM   #10
Unregistered

Default RobW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola_H View Post
Another thing: The EVO 71 IQ might be another board to consider. A bit "in between" in the width and still really nice and compact which helps in windy stuff. I reckon this will be a very good small board for a heavier rider with a softer feeling to it compared to the Q74 and it also has this really stable feel when you put it on its rail on a long turn. My prediction (After only sailing it in lighter winds) is that it will take really well to being seriously pinned down by sail (over) power.
Hi again Ola. I have now sailed abit more with 13 cm and also with the 16 cm front fins. The 13 cm works a bit better in 4.7m2 weather, but with 5,3m2 I actually prefer the 16 cm. I wouldnt say there was a very big improvement in how well the board turns when using the 13 cm finns...

I looked at the Evo 71 measurements, and I still think its sound quite whide, especially in the tail kompared to the Kode fex. Do you have the excact specs for the quad 69? I really have problems deciding what wave board I should pick for 3.7-4.2 weather...