Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 14th January 2007, 06:42 PM   #1
hugh_denholm

Default How to fix my sad Serenity?

I have a wood Serenity which is not looking as lovely as it did a few weeks ago. First accident happened when the fin hit an underwater object and the board stopped, but I didn't. Result: hole on front deck from boom head. Another today when I got caught by a gust and a wave going out from the beach; another hole.
Although I hate spoiling the smooth looks of the board, realistically this is going to happen again; even if I don't screw up (unlikely), there is often junk floating under the surface waiting to catch a long fin.
So... I am going to cut a Formual deck protector down to size and stick it on the Serenity. Question is, what is the best way to do this? Epoxy seems rather "final", would using silicone give enough grip?
Any tips gratefully received. Thanks
Hugh
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 10:22 PM   #2
James

Default RE: How to fix my sad Serenity?

I would use rubber cement or something along those lines. It will stick better than silicone, but you can still rip it off without damaging the board if you change your mind.

I use this rubbery waterproof glue called "goop". It looks like silicone, but it sticks a lot better. They make different kinds of good for household versus plumbing versus sports equipment repairs, but I think it's all pretty similar.

http://www.amazinggoop.com/amazinggoop/index.html
James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 10:39 AM   #3
hugh_denholm

Thanks James, I will go Goop hunting!
hugh_denholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 09:32 PM   #4
o2bnme

Send a message via AIM to o2bnme Send a message via Yahoo to o2bnme

Also, why not look into getting a weed fin? With a weed fin, hitting objects underwater would be less jarring. You would be able to either recover without dropping the boom, or you would be able to let the boom go without it slamming forward as fast.

Oh, and I've used GOOP for years. Great stuff.

$0.02

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
o2bnme is offline   Reply With Quote