PDA

View Full Version : What to buy2010NP X9boom or 2010NS platinum

valentine
31st December 2009, 01:01 AM
Help to decide what to buy,2010NP X9 boom or 2010 NS platinum 200-250.The main concern is durability.Thanks in advance.

Unregistered
31st December 2009, 04:48 AM
NP X9 2010 is superb!!!!

nonopr
31st December 2009, 05:11 AM
Buy MauiSails booms.....

Unregistered
31st December 2009, 08:32 AM
Buy MauiSails booms.....

Good yes, but so heavy

IRL-250
31st December 2009, 09:43 AM
Had a Neil Pryde X9 a couple of years ago and the grip came of after about 10 sessions using the boom. Not really what i would expect to happen after the money i paid so i think the durability of the grip is suspect. Expect to have to regrip it if you buy one.

For a year now i have been sponsored by Chinook. I have been using chinook products for years and I can highly recommend the Chinook Carbon booms. They are light compared to alot of booms on the market and have a massive range of adjustment. They are also alot cheaper than the X9 and North Platinum booms. Check them out :-))

Papounet
31st December 2009, 06:02 PM
Older X9 have problems with grip.
Some have front part cracks http://www.windsurfing33.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36338&start=2
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_MoDXoublvRk/SOY-ZrVJupI/AAAAAAAAAIY/5iilIPHVdwg/s720/P1010368.JPG
Some have front cup brakage, replaced with X6 ones, or by using Streamlined or MS boom head
But when strengthening is done, it's a top boom used by a great number of racers.

On the 2010 X9, boom head has been changed, wait and see...

Other choices :
- Maui sails, heavy but strong & Stiff

- AL 360 E3 Carbon, lightweight but as stiff as MS and X9, more carbon inside (-: ( 60% for X9 )
http://www.al360.it/windsurf/boma%20E3%20carbon%20slalom.htm
For durability, no recursive problem related after one year
The first brakage in december by a more than 100 Kg guy, who killed a Fiberspar carbon Wave + X9 Wave + Platinium slam in 2008
Changed by AL in less than a week.
http://pics.imagup.com/member2/1260006179_ScreenShot223.jpg

North...
Previous generations dont have plebiscite.

Unregistered
2nd January 2010, 05:38 AM
I repair many booms from Neil Pryde and I can say that is only 10 or 15 percent Carbon boom, very fragile

geo
3rd January 2010, 03:10 PM
My advice is very simple: before purchasing a new carbon boom, be sure to have a good look at a Maui Sails carbon boom.
The 190-240 is quite heavy, but it's super stiff.The relatively high weight leads to a slightly different timing when jibing: the sail clew will start moving a bit slower, and will tend to arrive faster and 'drive' a bit further on the other tack, actually 'helping' slightly at sheeting in. Such effects are actually very very slight, and I am really stressing this; once used to the different feel, there really is no problem. Personally I use the 190-240 with slalom sails down to 5.9. Anyhow if one does not like the idea, and is more focalized on smaller size sails, the 170-230 is a great option: it's not got the oversized rear end, so it's more 'usual' stiff, but much lighter. If you look at pictures of Phil McGain testing sail protos, you'll see he uses it up to 7.0.

valentine
3rd January 2010, 10:56 PM
Thanks guys ,agree that MS and previous 2009 x9 (with reinforced front part)are the best,but I need 202-242 and had an bad experience with x9 masts ,and battens,2009platinum bums ,that's why I am afraid of NP,NS quality so I decide to wait a bit ,maybe they change an approach in 2010.

AlexWind
5th January 2010, 04:13 PM
According to what I've seen, maybe the al360 has the best durability of all and it's a great boom.
Maui Sails is a great product too, Fiberspar is very good (exept the clips..) and I would reccomand Tecnolimits XTR too: I'm using this one for 3 season and it's still ok!

Papounet
6th January 2010, 03:22 PM
Platinium Carbone (-;

http://transjai.videos.free.fr/images/matos/wishplatinium/wish.wmv

Unregistered
19th March 2010, 05:52 PM
It's hard to compare the new NP boom as they did not publish any weights for their new booms and I have not seen any pictures comparing the width between 2009 and 2010.

Did somebody already made a review?

Adri

Unregistered
19th March 2010, 10:38 PM
Buy gaastra boom, black-alu or carbon.

janschipper
20th March 2010, 08:18 AM
I’ve always been a fan of the 2010NP concept

sergio_k
20th March 2010, 10:50 PM
With any carbon boom purchase you never know as far as durability goes, Maui sails boom
has the best reputation right now but as people wrote already heavy and it has larger grip diameter (my pet peeve). Good thing about carbon booms though, you can always repair them, retrofit or reinforce, so if durability is the only issue, I would just wrap 2 layers of carbon in the boom head area, that will improve both durability and stiffness for about $20-30 US and it's so easy to do.

Unregistered
20th April 2010, 10:24 PM
guys I was also having the same problem either to buy MS boom or X9 boom then my distributor told me about considering Al.360 E3 Carbon slalom 2010 and how good booms they were? but it was the first time I heard about it? Can u guys please let me know more about it? how is it compare other booms etc. and should I go for MS 190-240 or AL 360 190-245? can u guys compare and inform me about both please?? thank you

Unregistered
20th April 2010, 10:27 PM
guys I was also having the same problem either to buy MS boom or X9 boom then my distributor told me about considering Al.360 E3 Carbon slalom 2010 and how good booms they were? but it was the first time I heard about it? Can u guys please let me know more about it? how is it compare other booms etc. and should I go for MS 190-240 or AL 360 190-245? can u guys compare and inform me about both please?? thank you

Unregistered
21st April 2010, 12:48 AM
guys Im serious and really need help urgently cuz I have to order either one of these booms in 3 days. please make a good comparison and enlighten me!!!
please :)

avableBluetly
22nd April 2010, 07:03 AM
“Originally Posted by Shadow1
hmm, just asking,
what do you think
of Tunisia?
of tunisian people?
of tunisia economy?
of culture?
or what do you know about tunisia?

i think those questions are enuf to open a discussion, and a topic,
those questions will leads to a different topics,

”I dont think Ive ever thought about Tunisia.

Ive learned about Carthage.

Thats about it. Maybe you could share what you know to further the discussion

Deja Vu
23rd April 2010, 08:13 AM
For a year now i have been sponsored by Chinook. I have been using chinook products for years and I can highly recommend the Chinook Carbon booms. They are light compared to alot of booms on the market and have a massive range of adjustment. They are also alot cheaper than the X9 and North Platinum booms. Check them out :-))

The problem I have with the Chinook booms is the boom head. It is just too flexible for my taste and the mast boom connection is too loose so you end up with a floppy connection.

LK
23rd April 2010, 05:40 PM
I have Maui Sails 190-240 slalom boom
Rock solid head and boom, excellent grip, but the boom end feels a bit heavy in the beginning.
NP is heavy too. Now I have ordered AL360 240-300 instead of my old reinforced Fiberspare Formula boom (seen too much faults on NP booms the last years and too pricy too). If not AL360 I would have taken Maui Sails boom
I get the AL360 in a week or 2, so I can’t comment on it before.

IRL-250
26th April 2010, 04:37 AM
The problem I have with the Chinook booms is the boom head. It is just too flexible for my taste and the mast boom connection is too loose so you end up with a floppy connection.

I never have any issue with the mast boom connection being loose on my booms so don't know why you ended up with a floppy connection :confused:

Deja Vu
27th April 2010, 02:40 AM
I never have any issue with the mast boom connection being loose on my booms so don't know why you ended up with a floppy connection :confused:

If you examine the boom head on the Chinook boom you will find that the plastic is flexible and soft (way too flexible IMO) and when you pull down on the boom, once it is attached to the mast, there is some give, especially after sailing for awhile. Boards magazine did a boom test a few years ago and they had the same problem with Chinook booms. I have a friend with a Chinook formula carbon boom which he refuses to use because of this issue - so he has an expensive carbon boom gathering dust. I've customized mine so it is usable. There are a number of things I like about the boom; however, the boom head isn't one of them.

Unregistered
27th April 2010, 02:48 AM
Hands down the new np x9 race boom is the best Ive sailed.
In comparison to MS sails, its better engineered at the front and back ends + better clips.
Not as heavy as the MS boom either.
One slick boom!

IRL-250
27th April 2010, 04:02 AM
If you examine the boom head on the Chinook boom you will find that the plastic is flexible and soft (way too flexible IMO) and when you pull down on the boom, once it is attached to the mast, there is some give, especially after sailing for awhile. Boards magazine did a boom test a few years ago and they had the same problem with Chinook booms. I have a friend with a Chinook formula carbon boom which he refuses to use because of this issue - so he has an expensive carbon boom gathering dust. I've customized mine so it is usable. There are a number of things I like about the boom; however, the boom head isn't one of them.

There is a little bit of give but too me it is no noticeable on the water. They are definetly not floppy. In fact i think that give has saved me snapping booms is some really big wipeouts. The main advantage of the boom head though is if you do snap one side of the boom you can replace it. If this happened with any other boom it would end up in the bin and you would have an expensive bill to replace it