Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 23rd January 2007, 09:57 PM   #1
AlexS

Default isonic 122 or isonic 133?

Dear Team,

I would like to buy a new slalom board to use with my 7.8 and 9.2m2 sails and carry my 82kg. I am not sure which Isonic to pick: 122 or 133? Please keep in mind that having a smaller slalom board to use with sails around 6+ m2, I am looking for the replacement of its bigger brother.

Thanks in advance for your help. Any suggestions are most welcomed!

Best,

Alex
AlexS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 06:04 AM   #2
Ian Fox
STARBOARD

Default RE: isonic 122 or isonic 133?

Hi Alex,

Both boards will adequately cover the sail range for your rider weight. Can you say is the main focus for this new iS going to new more 7.8m conditions (iS122..) or more 9.2m (iS133) ??

Also the size (bigger sail range??) of your smaller board ?? The relationship (crossover) to the new iS could be an advantage one way or the other - for example, the iS122 can be pushed relatively hi up the slalom wind range, especially if you are a "power" sailor. This may be an advantage to the iS122 on one hand, or possibly no real gain if you've got that area (around 7m) really fully covered with your smaller board - and in that case the better choice could be to concentrate the range of the new board on solidly covering (iS133) the lighter end of the 7.8/9.2m wind range (ignoring the "hi wind" potential for the iS122 ).

Let us know if you've more questions or would like more info.

Cheers ~ Ian
Ian Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2007, 03:58 PM   #3
AlexS

Thanks for your swift reply Ian.

My smaller board is an old F2 Thommen 270III (92 litters) capable of carrying my 6.6sm sail, but not my 7.8. As I understand from your comments, I would be better off by buying the iS 122. Am I correct? On the other hand, I really enjoy being the first to plane in marginal conditions and my 9.2 sail, without being on a formula board. I suppose that a bit of pumping will do it on the 122 as well...

Thanks again,

Alex
AlexS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 01:03 PM   #4
Jesper Orth

Hi Alex

It seams like you made you mind. I just wanted to say that I have been using the 122 in really light conditions (9.0) as well as strong wind (7.7) and it really performs unreal in all conditions.

I'm 85 kg and for light wind after a few pumps the board just takes off,,,
(I use the 9.0 Code Red R2 and 44 Vector Canfire fin).

If you don???t use bigger than 9.2 then this board is for sure the right choice.

Regards

Jesper
Jesper Orth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2007, 01:03 PM   #5
Jesper Orth

Hi Alex

It seams like you made you mind. I just wanted to say that I have been using the 122 in really light conditions (9.0) as well as strong wind (7.7) and it really performs unreal in all conditions.

If you don???t use bigger than 9.2 then this board is for sure the right choice.

Regards

Jesper
Old 27th January 2007, 01:04 PM   #6
Jesper Orth

Hi Alex

Regards

Jesper