Go Back   Starboard Forums > Windsurfing School

Old 14th January 2011, 03:19 AM   #1
r243

Default Second board ?

Happy New Year all.

I weight 73 kg and my height is 1,70. I have been riding a freeride board 145lt (2.55m long 79cm wide). My current sails are a loft O2 5,9 , a loft wave 5,1 and Naish sprint 6,6.

Sailing conditions are flat/choppy water and sometimes small waves depending on the wind strength.

Wind speed where I sail is usualy 12 - 20 knotts and some times goes up to 26.

Regarding my level. I can waterstart 8 out of 10 times when wind blows from my left side and just 1 out of 10 when it blows from the right (as if my left foot is too weak to be the first to climb on board in order to water start ).

I plane easily with harness and just getting in the front foorstrap. I jybe in low speed 5 out of 10.

I was thinking of getting a smaller board as a second one - which will later become my "big" board.

My questions are :

1. What size should I be looking at ? around 95-110 lt with a width of 63-67 ?

2. Should I be looking for a FSW board which will plane easily, handle chop and small waves and be rather friendly for jybes ? sort of an all around board ...

Thanks in advance for all advise and help !
r243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Ken

r243,

I know Roger will jump in and provide you with some great advice. I have two comments.

1. Regarding the size of your next board, there may be one consideration that you may need to think about. Where I sail, there are big wind shadows and a "sinker" board is very difficult to manage even though it works great once in the wind. If you have a similar situation, having a board that you can uphaul can make sailing much more enjoyable. For you, that will be about 95-105 liters. I weigh 77 kg and can easily manage a 105 liter board in 25 - 30 knot winds with a 4.5 or 4.0. This is not ideal, but it works.

2. Water starts - I personally think placing both feet on the board and pulling your butt as close as possible to the board helps me water start. You will have the strength of both legs to help you stand up. I know that this is not a common way to water start, but I can manage quite well, even in very light winds sometimes (one hand on the mast and the other on the foot of the sail). However, I would first choose uphauling rather than try the "mast and sail foot" technique. The more wind you have, the less you have to rely on leg strength.

Last edited by Ken; 27th April 2011 at 10:27 PM.
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Ken has it right!
You would need to get the volume you need with your skill level to really be comfortable
in a variety of conditions, specially if your winds are not steady.
Picking a board with less than adequate volume to uphaul (albeit a very careful and difficult
uphaul process) can leave you pretty much stranded and swimming if the wind dies off to
the point that you cannot waterstart.
At 77 Kg almost any board over 95 liters is uphaulable.
So you need to select whether you want a board that jibes really well, handles the chop
really well, or maybe even has better wave capabilities.
I would suggest the Carve and Kode lines first, perhaps the Futura if you want a
bit more speed and a bit less wave capability.
All of these board lines "cross over" quite a bit.
The Futura line is faster, jibes well, but is perhaps too fast for the waves.
The Kode is a good all around FSW, with pretty good speed, that handles
chop and jibes beautifully.
The new Carve line is perhaps the widest range of discipines and conditions
in the current Starboard line up.
Lots of choices here, but only you know what you are really looking for.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
morgon

Hi all

I am in a more or less similar situation (my board is a futura 133) and I was considering carve 111, Kode 103 and atom99. What I would like is a board easy to ride and comfortable in choppy water when wind is 20 to 25 knots. It is also important to be able to tack to come back in off shore situation if the wind slow down.
thanks in advance for the advice
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 09:48 PM   #5
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hello Morgon,
What is your weight?
I sailed the Kode 103 in similar conditions earlier this week. My first time out on the water this year.
The Kode 103 would be a good choice, as would the Carve 111 (a little big for over 20 knots, but with the
reserve volume you need to get back if the wind dies.
The Atom would ride very nicely I'm sure, but if you weigh 75 Kg. or greater, not much reserve volume and pretty slow to plane.
The Futura 101 might also be a good choice.
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2011, 11:42 PM   #6
morgon

Thanks for the quick answer

I am more or less 72 kg but with all the equipement probably around 75 in winter conditions
the kode 113 would be also a candidat but the site gives sail range from 5.2 to something and I would like to be able to get down to my NP 4.7
All the best
morgon is offline   Reply With Quote