Go Back   Starboard Forums > Free Forum

Old 7th February 2007, 06:25 PM   #1

Default best allround wavesail on the market?

Hi all,

I need a new quiver of wavesails. Before buying I want to ask you about your favorite sails on the market. I don??t care about brands. I now own gaastra??s manics. After four jears of constant use especially the monofilm gets a bit weak or is just broken.

I need sails that I can still trust even when they are older (at least 4-5 years), especially when I??m travelling (Denmark, France, South Africa,). They should be strong built without the lack of performance.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Cheers

Karl
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2007, 08:40 PM   #2
-Lampi-

Send a message via MSN to -Lampi-
Default RE: best allround wavesail on the market?

Hi, guest!

At first i'd like to say that i don't want to offend anyone or to do a comercial for a brand.

My favourite sail is the Hot Sails maui SO. It works great in all conditions. It's good for all kinds of wavesailing - from onshore to cross off, whatever you want. I also like to use it for freestyle. It handles really well and feels really good. I even use it with my slalom board. The shape of the sail hasn't changed for a lot of years now. My oldest sail (all SO's) is now three years old and has no signs of damage. I also travel a lot - the nearest surf spot is 10km away from my house. The sails ''survive'' all the airport abuse in Sharm el Sheikh(belive me they don't treat the equipment very nicely there) and a lot of driving. Once when i was carrying the sail off the beach and suddenly a gust of wind came from te opposite direction that it was blowing before. So the sail turned around - i just couldn't hold it - and it hit a tree branch really hard. The surface of the branch was about the surface of a hammer. The sail? No damage at all. Definately a good combination of preformance and endurance. If you take it as a down-side: they are pretty heavy.

If you are looking for a lighter sail, i've heard that Ezzy's are light... I don't have any experience with them but some friends that make custom boards and are sailing in marocco for 3 months a year say that they're really good in the waves.

Kind regards
Old 7th February 2007, 10:51 PM   #3

Well, my personal view is that there are a lot of very good sails in the market, but personally I use the Severne Blades and after changing from one to other I feel really confortable with them, combinead with a good RDM mast.
They feel light, very responsive and enough power when needed. Try them with the right accesories, and you will find what you are looking for.

Ricardo Guglielmino
Starboard Team
Old 7th February 2007, 11:47 PM   #4
Ola_H
TEAM

I'm a Hot Sails Rider, so I may be biased, but there is no doubt their sails are extremely well made and durable. Both the SO, the more powerful all x-ply Smack and the dacron sail Superfreak are all very strong sails and all very good wave sails. They are actuallt not heavy either, rather ranging from light to medium. All their differnt wave sails are completely differnt characters though. If you're interested in Hot sails and want a more details description of their differnt wave sails, please ask again. I have personal experience with all their sails.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 04:52 AM   #5

Default RE: Superfreak

Hi Ola,

I'm interested in your thoughts about the Superfreak compared to more traditional wave sails. Currently I sail Naish Force and love them,
the SF's are described as very versatile - does that refer to wind range and tunability or more to the softness and depowering ability for waves. Any impressions would be great.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Old 8th February 2007, 04:14 PM   #6
SIN909

I like the Simmer X-flex. I've used a few brands over the years, but the simmer seems to last the longest from my experience. no monofilm, all xply with vinyl window. If you're going for durability, get a sail with no monofilm, whatever brand you get.
SIN909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2007, 04:45 PM   #7

what sort of sail weight is considered light nowadays? ( not in feel but actual dead weight)
Old 8th February 2007, 07:42 PM   #8
zots

The answer is quite ezzy!
zots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 03:52 AM   #9
Ola_H
TEAM

The way do describe superfreaks is that they are very DIFFERENT. But if you continue to repeat that to yourself while trying them out, you'll find out that they actually sail fairly normal after all. The "normality" consist of that they actually are well balanced mid power sails that just work. The unusual parf is of course the luffability, the extreme springiness of the whole sail, the totally silent ride, the extreme trimability and so on.

Contrary to what loos may tell you, the Superfreak is an extremely high tension sail. It takes more force to downhaul these than any other wave sail I've tried. But with the 4/5-length battens you still get teh luffability which give you the "on/off feel" which most peoepl associate with a wave sail. That you have this sift front part makes the sails special to pump. The leech is thight though, so with the right technique they pump very well. When going from off to on, the sail also has a kind of delayed action which can both be a great help but also can feel too indirect sometimes. So, from this "feel" kind of perspective you have to try before buying. I like sailing them now and them, but I would not personally choose them as my main sail (except maybe in very small or very big sizes). Others just swear by them and there is probalby no sail on the market that has so many "super stoked loyal followers" like the superfreak and this is more due to the ride quality that colors and such things.

The superfreak is extremely tuneable. Its hard to say why, but you can simply trim them much flatter than a normal sail and they still feel alive and active. This means their total wind range is nothing but extraordinary. Its not only that the sail can handle the wind without folding (many sails can do this). Its more that you actually trim away power on the freak so that you can continue to sail it _comfortably_ when the wind increases. A very special feeling.

Again though, try before buying. And if you're coming from a kind of stiff power sail like the Force, this is even more important.

If I should recomend a more "normal" sail from the Hot sail range, it would be the Smack. In its current incarnation, its extremely all round in almost any way you can think of. But if you end up liking the Superfreak sail, you will be hooked for life.
Ola_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Happy

Ola's comment on the Superfreak is correct. After having sailed N.P. sails for 20 years (I think) I switched to Hotsails. Superfreaks to be more specific. The built quality of the Hotsails (so not only the Superfreaks) is in a league of it's own if you ask me. So much eye for detail I've personally never seen in any sail. As Ola points out, the Superfreak is very different, but then again it's not. I will not start to duplicate Ola's story because he nearly covered it all. One of the things I like a lot about the Superfreaks it the Dacron instead of monofilm/X-ply. Jump on it, fold it, get a good trashing in the shorebreak, sail it hard, the material is simply indistructable. Oh and another thing I noticed, the sails are so quiet, not the most important thing about a sail but quite a nice bonus. If you have the chance to try one, simply try it out. Up till now I've not had anybody trying my sails and not liking it. Having said all this, a friend of mine who loved his Manics (2005) switched to the Hotsails S.O. (2006) and he's not looking back.
Happy is offline   Reply With Quote