Go Back   Starboard Forums > Ask Our Team

Old 5th May 2011, 07:53 PM   #1
Ulf

Default After Market Foot straps

I want to fit after market Footstraps to my Kode 113. I notice the bolts that come with the Drake straps are longer than other brands ( also wider thread ). THis might be due to the new straps sitting so high.
( K9 doesn't go into the strap due to an extra reinforcing panel on the under side of the strap)

How far down does the plug go? If the after market strap is used the screw will sink into the board about 4mm lower than where it sits with the Drake Strap.

Is this going to be okay? ( ie The plug long enough )

Thanks
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ulf,
A very good question....!
1/ Have you already installed the 7mm x 32mm footsrap screws(mid 2009 and later board build date) and wish to change the footstraps,
or
2/ Is your board older and you are using the 6mm x 28mm footstrap screws?
If using the longer larger diameter (7mm x 32mm) screws, I would suggest putting a 4 mm long spacer
under the head of the screws.
If using the 6 mm x 28mm screws I think you will be OK.
Perhaps I can get Tiesda You to give you a better answer on this.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 10:36 AM   #3
Ulf

HI Roger,
The Kode 113 is the 2011 with Black drake Straps. Everything That came with it is being used. The straps are fitted and after two uses I decided the new drake strap just aren't for me. They twist off and are too spongy (ie, moving around in hectic conditions, I have tried to tighten them with Tiki tool etc.).

I have had two Kode 112's prior to this one and was very happy with the straps. I secretly wish I could get the old straps instead. That isn't going to happen.

I pulled some straps out of another board to try them but never fitted then as the thread and bolts were smaller.
The plugs would be sized to the larger bolts now. ( smaller might pull out).
I also wasn't game to use the bigger bolts due to the lower position of other straps. I have Dakine, Neil Pryde and JP straps to try and they all sit a lot lower.
Hence the concern about the bolt going down to far.
Thanks
PS I thought about drilling little holes in the under side of the strap so the 4 K9 spikes will sink in and hold it still?
IT seems the reinforces doesn't allow the spikes to take hold.
I haven't had the twisting strap syndrome since the early 90's.
Ulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2011, 08:47 PM   #4
Roger
Dream Team - School Guru

Hi Ulf,
A better way to "sink" the canine teeth of the K9 anti-twist locks into the webbing on the bottom of your
straps is to get a 6mm allen bolt or hex head bolt and a nut.
Get a couple of thick flat washers and a couple of large diameter fender washers.
Figure out there you want to sink the K9 teeth into the strap (the angle to the strap center line, and then
put the bolt with a small and large washer on each side. Then tighten the nut on the other side.
This will sink the K9 spikes into the webbing of the strap and compress everything quite snugly.
Then remove the bolt and install the strap on your board.
Be sure to use the soap as a lubricant.
You will tear up the drive recess in your 7mm screws and damage the Tiki tool as well.
I use a high end #3 Phillips screwdriver to work with the 7mm PT screws.
They did not change the diameter of the pilot hole when they upgraded to the 7mm screws, so they are very tight in the holes the first couple of times you screw them in.
The "stackup" of the tooth washer, foostrap, and K9 anti twist will hold the screw head at the right level to prevent the screw bottoming out in the insert, so if you use a thinner strap/smaller stackup distance you will need to cut the 7mm screws shorter.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Roger is offline   Reply With Quote